Sharper than a Cottonmouth's Tooth

levi

I just purchased Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth and finished reading it. Allen please add mine to the long list of names who loved this product. King Cobra was always a favored villain in my group and I'm glad to see him and COIL handled well in the 5th Ed.

The specific reason for this Thread is that as I read through the adventures, there is a suggestion to bulk up COIL's superhuman ranks by stealing from VIPER. I think this is a well stated idea, but I thinking along these lines...what if Cottonmouth had faked his death with help on the inside from Dr. Blank? King Cobra could trust him not to betray him as he had Viper through the use of the COIL Gene and it would be a great surprise to drop on the players to have a (believed) dead villain return.

I'm sure this isn't an original idea and I was curious if any of the rest of you had done this and made a character sheet for Cottonmouth that I might stea...borrow. I was thinking something along the lines of Diamondback, maybe a bit less raw power due to Cottonmouth being an earlier mutate, but more finese due to his longer standing as a Viper (now COIL) operative.

Bravo again Allen! Anyone have any feedback?

Re: Sharper than a Cottonmouth's Tooth

thanks... glad you liked it.

Concerning Cottonmouth: yeah, I'd just use Diamondback with STR 40 and SPD 6, maybe a higher DEX too. If the PCs have already encountered Diamondback, I'd probably change up his venom -- maybe a Sight Group Flash instead of an RKA for poison spittle, and maybe a STR and DEX Drain (paralysis or something) instead of CON for Venom.

I just purchased Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth and finished reading it. Allen please add mine to the long list of names who loved this product. King Cobra was always a favored villain in my group and I'm glad to see him and COIL handled well in the 5th Ed.

The specific reason for this Thread is that as I read through the adventures, there is a suggestion to bulk up COIL's superhuman ranks by stealing from VIPER. I think this is a well stated idea, but I thinking along these lines...what if Cottonmouth had faked his death with help on the inside from Dr. Blank? King Cobra could trust him not to betray him as he had Viper through the use of the COIL Gene and it would be a great surprise to drop on the players to have a (believed) dead villain return.

I'm sure this isn't an original idea and I was curious if any of the rest of you had done this and made a character sheet for Cottonmouth that I might stea...borrow. I was thinking something along the lines of Diamondback, maybe a bit less raw power due to Cottonmouth being an earlier mutate, but more finese due to his longer standing as a Viper (now COIL) operative.

I actually have converted many of the other COIL agents from Champions Present #2 and use them ;)

I have yet to purchase it due to financial reasons :weep: but years ago, I created my own COBRA group, consisting of the following villains:

Asp (normal appearing lady with poisonous skin, doesn't want powers)

Boa Constrictor (modified from Adventurer's Club version)

Cottonmouth (villain with artificially changed jaw to a snake jaw)

Moray Eel (snakey looking villain)

King Snake (wooboy, is this old. From some Champions module with Sneak Thief, Glacier, Armageddon, Air Hammer, etc Anyone remember this?)

Cobra-Khan Visitor prince from another world who's decided to help Cobra take-over the world for amusement factor. Can create snakes out of thin air and it's not even magic.)

...Concerning Cottonmouth: yeah' date=' I'd just use Diamondback with STR 40 and SPD 6, maybe a higher DEX too. If the PCs have already encountered Diamondback, I'd probably change up his venom -- maybe a Sight Group Flash instead of an RKA for poison spittle, and maybe a STR and DEX Drain (paralysis or something) instead of CON for Venom.[/quote']

Thanks Allen, great suggestions. As the co-authors of VIPER:CotS Scott & Steve what would you suggest for a Cottonmouth write-up?

King Snake (wooboy' date=' it this old. From some Champions module with Sneak Thief, Glacier, Armageddon, Air Hammer, etc Anyone remember this?)[/quote']

That was the three-adventure compendium Trouble for HAVOC from Chaosium Inc., primarily for use with their Superworld superhero game. It also included detailed writeups for all characters therein for Champions (pre-4E) and Villains and Vigilantes.

Interesting adventures, well-designed for that era.