Regency HERO Resources

TheQuestionMan

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Regency HERO Resources

Ack! I end up with the Smiths song in my head every time I think of that title! :)

Shelley

You'll never guess what the end title music is... ;)

Quite a good, if rather brief, slice of the Beau's life, saddled with somewhat eccentric direction and music, but the performances are top notch.

• 3 months later...

I found this link over at RPG.net. It's a fairly decent ship of the line sailing simulator.

http://home.wxs.nl/~pdavis/

Check out the link there for the HMS Surprise. Windows only, sorry.

P. S. Any chance Shelley Mactyre will include rules for sailing ship in her Regency Hero? A number of us would just love it if she did.

Not that I couldn't just email you, Shelley, but for others' benefit as well...Wooden Ships and Iron Men is a wargame but is well-documented and thus serves as a good source for studying naval ships and warfare during the Regency/Revolutionary Period.

PS - well, whoops, I see the amazing QM has included the game already - would just add that the boardgame had good reading material, no idea if it all made its way into the computer game, would hope so, and would hope the computer game reveals all the mechanics, as those are useful to understand

I don't think my husband would forgive me if I didn't! :)

-Shelley

Eeeexcellent, Smithers! *rubs hands together*

Not that I couldn't just email you, Shelley, but for others' benefit as well...Wooden Ships and Iron Men is a wargame but is well-documented and thus serves as a good source for studying naval ships and warfare during the Regency/Revolutionary Period.

PS - well, whoops, I see the amazing QM has included the game already - would just add that the boardgame had good reading material, no idea if it all made its way into the computer game, would hope so, and would hope the computer game reveals all the mechanics, as those are useful to understand

Wooden Ships and Iron Men by Avalon Hill is fun but very much a board war game. It's rather high level in it's perspective. It lacks a lot of detail that a person on deck would experience.

Personally, I'd recommend getting on a sail boat and messing around with it. A crew certification from a US Sail credentialed school wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Reading wise, I can recommend Two Years Before the Mast. It's not Regency, but I don't think sailing technique changed much in the 100 years between the two. I think that Master and Commander (Aubrey Maturin Series) by Patrick O'Brian is good too, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't say myself.

The computer program I posted is a simulation, not a game. It appears to be fairly accurate, calculating the force vectors on the sails, calculating the heel on the boat, giving realistic numbers for ship speed, etc. But it's a free effort and pretty dry too, there's unfortuneately no feel of being on a ship.

Eeeexcellent, Smithers! *rubs hands together*

Wooden Ships and Iron Men by Avalon Hill is fun but very much a board war game. It's rather high level in it's perspective. It lacks a lot of detail that a person on deck would experience.

Personally, I'd recommend getting on a sail boat and messing around with it. A crew certification from a US Sail credentialed school wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Reading wise, I can recommend Two Years Before the Mast. It's not Regency, but I don't think sailing technique changed much in the 100 years between the two. I think that Master and Commander (Aubrey Maturin Series) by Patrick O'Brian is good too, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't say myself.

The computer program I posted is a simulation, not a game. It appears to be fairly accurate, calculating the force vectors on the sails, calculating the heel on the boat, giving realistic numbers for ship speed, etc. But it's a free effort and pretty dry too, there's unfortuneately no feel of being on a ship.

WS&IM has decent detail on weapons, what ships were like, what crew complements were, naval engagement sizes, and so on. As you say, it isn't a "hands on" perspective but it gives details that you won't pick up with a hands on perspective or by modern sailling. That's all I mean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...