Multiple Multi-Powers that share one Focus

Richard Logue

What would be the Limitation, shared by all the Multi-Powers, that would reflect them using the same Focus?

This is what I'm building. Its a gun MP with different styles of shooting and different types of ammo. And I'm not sure if ts the best way to construct it. I'm probably trying to over-complicated it.

So I will sum it up. He uses a pair of handguns (Berettas). He can fire them individually, he can fire both at the same time, he can "double-tap" with one. In addition, he uses two types of ammo and has several magazines of each.

How would you build it? I was thinking I could rearrange it as two MP's, one for each type of bullet. That way I could give the MP a finite number of Charges. In the MP, there would be three slots for the three different styles of shooting. It sounds like the way I should create it, but they share the same Focus: the pistols.

23 Guns, Guns, Guns!: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots Charges Are Interchangeable Between Stances But Not Ammo Type (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power: Requires a Half-Phase Action To Change Powers (-1/2); all slots OAF Durable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

1u 1) 9mmP Beretta, AET-Comp Ammunition: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [12]

1u 2) 9mmP Beretta, AET-Comp Ammunition, Two-Gun Kid: Killing Attack - Ranged 3 1/2d6 (55 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [12]

1u 3) 9mmP Beretta, AET-Comp Ammunition, Double-Tap: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Penetrating (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4), Limited Power: Uses 2 Charges (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [12]

1u 4) 9mmP Beretta, Imp. AP Ammunition: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (40 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [12]

2u 5) 9mmP Beretta, Imp. AP Ammunition, Two-Gun Kid: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [12]

1u 6) 9mmP Beretta, Imp. AP Ammunition, Double Tap: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (50 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4), Limited Power: Uses 2 Charges (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

RL

Re: Multiple Multi-Powers that share one Focus

Based on what you describe, it sounds like you have two separate versatile guns, so if it were up to me I'd just buy a Multipower for what you want them to do for each gun, and make each one a separate Focus, although obviously the same kind (probably OAF) so that it would take two successful attempts to completely disarm him.

With each Multipower in a separate Focus, you could use both guns for a Multiple-Power Attack. That plus the optional Blazing Away and Rapid Fire combat maneuvers, plus the Two-Weapon Fighting Skill, should grant you all the gunfighting goodness you're asking for. :)

If you wanted to put all the gun Powers into a single Multipower (maybe to save points), having multiple OAFs changes the Limitation value to essentially the equivalent of OIF to reflect that it takes longer/more effort to disarm him. If you make the Reserve large enough to use two slots simultaneously you can still use the MP for a Multiple-Power Attack. Or you could just use Blazing Away and Rapid Fire to reflect your multifiring capacity.

Of course you could just build your character's guns with a two- or three-shot Autofire Advantage (+1/4). As usual there's several ways to do this in HERO, so you should pick what feels best for you.

Another way to do it is to write up a single gun in a MP with each slot representing what you can do with the different types of ammo or methods of shooting. Include a -0 Limitation for the time it takes to change clips of the different ammo (since you can still change from slot to slot as a 0 Phase Action so long as you are sticking with the same ammo).

Then spend 5 points for a second gun. CSLs with Rapid Fire and/or Two Weapon Fighitng (if you think it applies) would also be handy.

If you GM doesn't allow the doubling of equipment for 5 points (some don't, and I'm not looking to go into the pros and cons of it in this thread), you can just buy a second MP at the same cost as the first. In either case, you have two seperate MPs you can use. You can make Multiple Power Attacks using different slots from each MP, or make a Rapid Fire attack against the same or multiple targets using different ammo or techniques. Kinda scary really.

I've rebuilt it as 2 seperate MP's based on using two seperate ammo loads. Even though it costs more, I think its better-defined.

Let me know what you think...

17 Berettas I: AET-Comp Loads (Multipower), 55-point reserve, all slots 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0) (55 Active Points); Limited Power: Must "Reload" To Switch MP (-1/4); all slots OAF Durable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4)

1u 1) One Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4) 0

2u 2) Two-Gun Kid: Killing Attack - Ranged 3 1/2d6 (55 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Limited Power: Uses 2 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) 0

1u 3) Two Guns, Two Targets: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4) 0

1u 4) Double-Tap: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Penetrating (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Limited Power: Uses 2 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) 0

18 Berettas II: Impr. AP (Multipower), 60-point reserve, all slots 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); Limited Power: Must "Reload" To Switch MP (-1/4); all slots OAF Durable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4)

1u 1) One Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (40 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4) 0

2u 2) Two-Gun Kid: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4) 0

1u 3) Two Guns, Two Targets: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (45 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4) 0

2u 4) Double Tap: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (50 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power: Cannot Be Bounced (-1/4) 0

Total Real Cost: 46 points. He has 48 bullets of each type for a total of 96 Charges. Some of the stances, obviously, require 2 Charges to pull off.

RL

I would be inclined to write this up as a single multipower, with a focus limitation, and treat the two pistols as a special effect.

Alternatively take the slots that can be done with either pistol with an OIF, and the slots that require both pistols with an OAF. One pistol can be grabbed in combat, taking out the slots that require both pistols, but the second one can only be taken away out of combat.