Does this bug anyone else: Rank table

JmOz

In the main Dark Champions Book is a table of ranks for the military,

The bit that gets under my skin is the idea that a 2 Lt is a more valuable perk than the a Chief Master Seargent of the Air Force, the officer and enlisted corp do not stack on top of each other, while the officer corp gets paid more and are in command postions the lower officer ranks (O-1, O-2) are as influential as the mid enlisted (E-4 through E-6) range IME

Re: Does this bug anyone else: Rank table

Having served 6+ years in the Army and active Army Reserve, I'd say the way DC presents the ranks as Perks is just about right. A senior non-com (E-8 or E-9) is going to get a lot more deference and his opinions are going to carry much more weight than a low ranking officer, even if technically "inferior" to a lowly lieutenant. Such a non-com typically has 20 or more years of experience, as opposed to mere months or possibly a few years for a junior officer. What officers have is responsibility, but that's often a far cry from having expertise or experience in their field.

My father was a CMSgt in the Air Force. I think you have to look at the tables as if you were looking at a field manual. Sure this is the letter of the law, but doesn't reflect the reality of the day-to-day situation. No 2Lt in his right mind is going to contradict a "recommendation" from a Chief.

Keith "Don't salute me son, I work for a living" Curtis

My father was a CMSgt in the Air Force. I think you have to look at the tables as if you were looking at a field manual. Sure this is the letter of the law, but doesn't reflect the reality of the day-to-day situation. No 2Lt in his right mind is going to contradict a "recommendation" from a Chief.

Keith "Don't salute me son, I work for a living" Curtis

This simply means that the Perk doesn't tell the whole story. The CMSgt likely has Reputation that the 2Lt does not. Add to that the common skill KS: Military Customs and Traditions (which includes knowing about the informal influence that senior NCOs have) and you get the complete picture.

Officers

Two words for you: signature authority

I see your point and I agree, however, a 2 Lt simply does have more authority than a Chief Master Seargent of the Air Force. It is my perverted opinion that officers are useless and should be simply eliminated from the armed forces. Just give the senior NCOs signature authority and let the people with a clue run the force.

This reminds me of an amusing anecdote that I read once. A full bird colonel has a group four second lieutenants and he tells them have get the flag raised up the flag pole. After about 15 minutes of the lieutenants arguing over the correct way to raise the flag the colonel steps in and says, "Let me show you how to do it." The colonel turns to a seargent and four privates and says, "Seargent, have your men raise the flag."