Aberrant Hero!

nexus

Re: Aberrant Hero!

In general' date=' what would be a good starting point total for game of Hero set in the Aberrant Universe?[/quote']

How do you do character conversion between the two Universes? One thing I remember about Aberrant was the huge jump between levels to make things simpler:

1 pip of Strength - Lift 50 lbs.

2 pips of Strength - Lift 250 lbs.

3 pips of Strength - Lift 1 ton

(or something like that)

There was no gradual increase for any skill or characteristic.

Have read most of the Aberrant supplements, but never played, I don't think Aberrant characters started off much more or less powerful then the average hero for champions. I'd say probably around 250. I think I could build comparable characters to the Aberrant character I created in Hero for about that many points. The ceiling, however, is very high, with some of the higher end heroes and villians being probably around 1000 points. Some of the most powerful Novas have literally world altering powers...

How do you do character conversion between the two Universes? One thing I remember about Aberrant was the huge jump between levels to make things simpler:

1 pip of Strength - Lift 50 lbs.

2 pips of Strength - Lift 250 lbs.

3 pips of Strength - Lift 1 ton

(or something like that)

There was no gradual increase for any skill or characteristic.

You are thinking of superstrength, not strength. But, yeah, superstrengh, especially with the lifter specialization, could get ridiculous in a hurry. However, you really couldn't dish out much more damage...

Here's some stuff that may help you:

Characteristic and power conversion guidelines:

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/Champions/001538.html

Conversions of specific powers:

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/HeroSystemDiscussion/001328.html

A selection of converted published characters from ABERRANT:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsrpg/rpg.html

Something to note: the characters converted over from Aberrent make no mention of taint, which is, I think, a key element of that game.

I must admit, Nexus, that I'm curious as to how you intend to handle that issue, if you are thinking of running an Aberrant Hero game...

I never liked Taint all that much; it was the Angst Characteristic White Wolf threw into everything. However, you could simulate it in Hero as follows:

Every Critical Success involving your powers cancels one point of Temporary Taint.

Every Critical Failure involving your powers adds one point of Temporary Taint.

You can at any time push any power; every 10 active points of Push costs 10 END and adds 1 point of Temporary Taint.

You can at any time convert 5 points of Temporary Taint into 1 point of Physical or Psych disadvantages, including Distinctive Features. You can also add these points to existing Phys and Psych limits. Quirk level disads are permitted.

If you do not convert the taint yourself, the GM may choose to force the conversion any time you roll a critical failure, and may arrange the taint disads as he chooses.

Every game session in which you make no critical failures and do not push your powers removes one point of temporary taint.

I never liked Taint all that much; it was the Angst Characteristic White Wolf threw into everything. However, you could simulate it in Hero as follows:

Every Critical Success involving your powers cancels one point of Temporary Taint.

Every Critical Failure involving your powers adds one point of Temporary Taint.

You can at any time push any power; every 10 active points of Push costs 10 END and adds 1 point of Temporary Taint.

You can at any time convert 5 points of Temporary Taint into 1 point of Physical or Psych disadvantages, including Distinctive Features. You can also add these points to existing Phys and Psych limits. Quirk level disads are permitted.

If you do not convert the taint yourself, the GM may choose to force the conversion any time you roll a critical failure, and may arrange the taint disads as he chooses.

Every game session in which you make no critical failures and do not push your powers removes one point of temporary taint.

You are right, it was very white-wolf angsty, but I can't imagine Aberrent without Taint. It was such a driving force, seperating the Novas from the common man. Its one of the themes of Aberrent.

But I like your take on it. Now what about Quantum and Node? Or should those simply be a function of End and total points?

:fear: Oh, sorry Nexus, am I taking over your thread?

You are right, it was very white-wolf angsty, but I can't imagine Aberrent without Taint. It was such a driving force, seperating the Novas from the common man. Its one of the themes of Aberrent.

But I like your take on it. Now what about Quantum and Node? Or should those simply be a function of End and total points?

I'd much rather do them as END and total points, though Quantum also represented Active Point Limits. Just IMO, natch.

Generally, "Taint" will be a role playing thing. You get disadvantages and describe them "Taint". Characters can pay for more powers by getting more disadvantages (Physical Limitation, Vulns, Suscuptibilities, etc) that I chose for them. Also Pushing powers will act as a Transform that gives you more Disadvantages.

You are right' date=' it was very white-wolf angsty, but I can't imagine Aberrent without Taint. It was such a driving force, seperating the Novas from the common man. Its one of the themes of Aberrent.[/quote']

Interestingly though, the anecdotal evidence I've seen from Aberrant boards suggests that the in-game impact of taint is virtually negligible. Temporary taint is quite tough to earn, so the only real issues are permanent taint from selected tainted powers, having a bigger M-R Node (the Superhero Gland) or having high levels of Quantum.

Interestingly though' date=' the anecdotal evidence I've seen from Aberrant boards suggests that the in-game impact of taint is virtually negligible. Temporary taint is quite tough to earn, so the only real issues are permanent taint from selected tainted powers, having a bigger M-R Node (the Superhero Gland) or having high levels of Quantum.[/quote']

You really only have to deal with Taint if you, as a player, feel like it. It can give you a minor power boost at character creation, and can result in a power boost in play, for a cost that can be severe.

However, as this is a White Wolf game, your power level doesn't matter at all. Every important NPC will be far beyond any power level you could ever hope to achieve by the rules. :rolleyes:

You really only have to deal with Taint if you, as a player, feel like it. It can give you a minor power boost at character creation, and can result in a power boost in play, for a cost that can be severe.

My GM for Aberrant liked a dark game, so the taint was a major factor in role-play. Temporary taint was almost non-existant and the only way to get rid of taint was to see a phychiatrist and talk out the problems you were having. Since we were a superhero team formed from a crime family, there was plenty of taint to go around. I can see adding disadvantages and quirks in the HERO version, but I still don't know how well that transfers.

Interestingly though' date=' the anecdotal evidence I've seen from Aberrant boards suggests that the in-game impact of taint is virtually negligible. Temporary taint is quite tough to earn, so the only real issues are permanent taint from selected tainted powers, having a bigger M-R Node (the Superhero Gland) or having high levels of Quantum.[/quote']

That is strange. I never actually got to play the game, unfortunately. The game I was planning on co-GMing never really got off the ground, but we were planning on making taint a big thing, and we weren't gonna tell the pc's about it to start. We were gonna start early in the history, before they really knew what taint was, so the PC's could experience some of the cool stuff in the timeline first hand. We were going to encourage them to push their powers, and never really give them any indication that bad things might happen until one of them actually gained some taint. What can I say, I'm a bastich....

I played in an Aberrant campaign for a while. I dont think taint was actually ever used "in game" once.

The standard Aberrant Nova would probably be 250 point characters, although we played at a higher power level.

I think the most important thing to make Aberrant work is the setting and factions. Recreate that well and your players will have fun. The differences in the rules will be unimportant.

This would be my take on Aberrant Hero.

400 point base

No minimum or maximum Disads

every PC is built first as a regular ordinary person just like in the good ole WW universe. That means that the Disads are being used for things like wife and kids or bad eyesight. In general less than 70 to 75 points would be from non taint disads.

Some disads are restricted. These would be the Taint Disads of Dependence, Vuln, Dis Fea, and Susceptability. The player gets *double* the amount for each Taint Disad.

That means your PCs are as powerful and as screwed up as a powerful Nova is supposed to be.

Also remember that wide aspect powers would be best represented by MEGASCALE. Yes, in this subgenre I can see gleefully destroying midwestern states and ruining whole continents. After all we *know* it happened right?

Hawksmoor