Character Generator?

Darkhope

Re: Character Generator?

whats the difference between revised and unrevised. Isn't revised 5th edition same thing as a 6th edition? ;p

EDIT: I know these are some dumb questions but I've been playing for 20 years. Last book I bought was Horror Hero in 1994 and I haven't seen any champions stuff since then. Until recently I thought it was a dead game.

yes. and the official character packs are worth it as well.

I second that! Having purchased v1 at a FLGS and V2 upgrade at the Online segment of this very webspace I was soon on the lookout for freshly completed 5th Ed characters to tinker with. Crooks, Killers and Conquerors, Champions Universe, and The Ultimate Vehicle were excellent purchases.

Plus Simon's updates of Hero Designer mean that the program evolves and you can actually go and get an answer for a question bugging the heck out of you.

Hawksmoor

Revised includes clarifications and explanations that have accumulated in the last couple of years since FRED was released. I would also like to point out that as you use Hero Designer if you click on the define button for items selected, it gives you a brief explanation of what the item is you are selecting, and reference pages in FRED and 5ER.

The original 5th Edition HERO System rulebook (unrevised) was an updated reworking of the 4E rules, with numerous minor and a few major changes to the system, and many clarifications to rules issues from 4E that HERO gamers had had questions about over the years. The Revised version incorporates many of the FAQ that have come up since 5E was published, various introductory/teaching elements and ease-of-use features that people had been asking for or recommending, as well as taking advantage of the Hero Games staff's two and a half years' greater experience with book organization and layout.

BTW Darkhope, since you're coming from a 4E background you may benefit from this very good summation of the rules changes from 4E to 5E:

http://theemerged.blogspot.com/HERO425.htm

The difference between 5R and FREd is minimal from a rules standpoint. From an ease-of-use standpoint, there's a good difference, because 5R explains some concepts that you might not get with FREd. Basically, 5R saves you a trip to the internet - it's FREd with a bunch of stuff from online.

The difference between FREd and 4E is quite big. While you can use 4E books with Fifth Edition, any discussions here on the boards are going to involve really detailed semantics and rules-lawyering, which will make the differences between the two editions quite significant.

And you'll have trouble with Hero Designer if you use 4E, because HD is so numbers based (being a rules program). Get yourself HD and FREd.