Absorbtion Burst

I was reading through the Ultimate Brick, and I was struck by inspiration. (Funny how that works.)

I want to make a brick (duh) who absorbs powers, and is strong. Can do that so far. But I want to make it so he can cause a burst of power that drains his absorbtion pool.

I can't figure out whether this should be a built into the Absorption as being able to aid STR or a No Range, Explosive EB, or...

Should I build the NR, Exp EB with a Side Effect: Drains Absorbtion Pool?

And if I go with the second option, how big a side effect should it be?

Re: Absorbtion Burst

At most, a -1/4. It only matters if the burst attack doesn't KO everyone around you. But it should probably do that. I would also take a side effect about destroying the scenery or something to simulate how much power you're throwing off.

Also, if your absorbstion pool is empty or close to empty, it's not really a limitation at all. Unless you need X amount of END in there to throw the thing.

You may wish to make the burst power into a multipower, so you have some flexibility when you lay the smack down. Bricks with strength-like attacks in a multipower are more fun IMO than a normal brick who can either punch or wrestle, blah blah, move thru, blah blah blah.

I should clarify:

First - the burst is a good thing. My character will suddenly hunch up, and BOOM!

Second - I want the burst's strength to be dependent upon the points in the Absorbtion. If the Absorbtion pool is empty, the burst is 0d6.

Third - I want to be able to control the points converted from pool. So, I can leave some in the pool.

I'm wondering if I should do Boostable Charges on the burst, refilled via absorbtion.

One way I've done this in the past is have the power bought at whatever scale needed. It feeds off a End Reserve that is only fed by absorption.

Of course, this is rather expensive. ;)

Another way is have an absorption that actually builds the power and the power can then be limited by whatever controls you want on it.

Again, clarification:

I want an Absorbtion that feeds into Strength. But when the character uses a powerful burst, all the Absorbed Strength fades away.

So you could do

+50 STR, x10 End (-4), from End Reserve, 10 points

50 End Reserve, 5 points

Absorption into End Reserve

That would give you the powerful burst. Now you could split the absorption into End & just STR.

OK. Felt like this should be done through some sort of boosted framework, but I don't think you can, so....

Absorbtion 4d6 (20AP) +16 to strength: 40 total (8AP) 28 AP/RP

PLUS 16d6 EB (80 AP) with explosion, personal immunity (+3/4 : 140 AP), no range, 1 recoverable charge and lockout (cannot use boosted STR OR EB until more power absorbed), can only be used in proportion to points absorbed to STRENGTH (10 points = +4d6) (-0.75 : based on extra time: between extra phase and 1 turn as it will take at least 3 or 4 phases, possibly longer to fully charge the absorb pool) (-3 : 35 real points)

Howzat?

I like Lemming's (The False Lemming? The Original Lemming? Classic Lemming? He can pick!) suggestion. To fine tune it, what about buying a multipower and an END battery?

The Multipower has +x STR (the maximum you could otherwise absorb) with No Figured, and your Power Burst power (at x10, or whatever, END).

The END battery has no REC and 10 END [cost 1 point]. Your Absorbtion feeds to the END battery.

RESULT: Absorbtion feeds the Battery, allowing use of your enhanced STR or the Power Burst. The Burst drains the Battery quicly due to the increased END.

Note that, once you max out the Absorption, you can't add any more to the pool until the Fade Rate drops your (max) END down again. This puts a de facto cap on the amount of enhanced STR or Power Burst you can use in any one combat. However, the max of the Absorpton is pretty inexpensive to increase (1 point = +4 battery, since battery END is treated like normal END for adjustment powers).

I agree. Lemming 1 nailed it. That construct allows the character to build the "pool" (end reserve) via Absorbtion then unleash everything in one big "burst" exactly as C.K. described.

This power sounds exactly like one of Dante's new moves from Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. He has a "style" called Royal Guard, where he can block attacks and absorb the damage into a pool that, when full, can unleash major damage upon enemies....

This power sounds exactly like one of Dante's new moves from Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. He has a "style" called Royal Guard' date=' where he can block attacks and absorb the damage into a pool that, when full, can unleash major damage upon enemies....[/quote']

Not exactly. The power I want is extra strength that is funneled into the burst.

Absorbtion --> Strength --> Burst

Putting points into an EB is nothing. I want to absorb into Strength, and then convert the Strength into the Burst.

But Lemming #1 got it right, I agree. Thanks, Lemming #1!

So you could do

+50 STR, x10 End (-4), from End Reserve, 10 points

50 End Reserve, 5 points

Absorption into End Reserve

That would give you the powerful burst. Now you could split the absorption into End & just STR.

....but it wouldn't stop you using the STR normally would it i.e. the 'normal' STR from absorbtion wouldn't go away when you do the burst (or am I, as usual, missing something).

The other problem with the END RESERVE approach is 5ER page 105/6: Increasing expendable abilities. If you have a 50 point END reserve you need to absorb 25 points to fill it. If you use those points you STILL have to wait for the fade rate to clear your absorb pool before you can start topping it up again: you don't clear the pool by using the END, so, realistically, you could only use the Blast power at maximum every 5 turns, which is bad. However see above where I pointed out that I'm usually missing something: I may not be reading this right at all.... :)

....but it wouldn't stop you using the STR normally would it i.e. the 'normal' STR from absorbtion wouldn't go away when you do the burst (or am I, as usual, missing something).

The other problem with the END RESERVE approach is 5ER page 105/6: Increasing expendable abilities. If you have a 50 point END reserve you need to absorb 25 points to fill it. If you use those points you STILL have to wait for the fade rate to clear your absorb pool before you can start topping it up again: you don't clear the pool by using the END, so, realistically, you could only use the Blast power at maximum every 5 turns, which is bad. However see above where I pointed out that I'm usually missing something: I may not be reading this right at all.... :)

Well, the first example didn't have any Absorption into STR, just the End Reserve. And actually I had completly forgotten about the Absorption having a cap (I just forget that for Healing and End Reserves) though as Hugh points out you can buy the maximum up.

So you got most of it. ;)

On your previous post, Ben has allowed people to change their names and keep their old posts under the new name. (I can think of two people who have done that) Send him a pm and start negotiating. Haven't seen him around much so he might be extra busy though.

On your previous post, Ben has allowed people to change their names and keep their old posts under the new name. (I can think of two people who have done that) Send him a pm and start negotiating. Haven't seen him around much so he might be extra busy though.

I'll do that. Any suggestions?