Mega Scaling Explosions

crayadder

Re: Mega Scaling Explosions

What Phil said... I'd hope this is for some kind of Evil Master Plan Space Death Ray Threat... and not something a PC has regular access to.

And it's for this reason and the fact that NPCs can have limitless points so it isnt an issue that I basically wont ever allow MegaScale to be used in this way. Megascale the range sure, becasue the downside is you accurately cant hit any target smaller than the megascaled hex, but personally I wont ever allow a megascale AoE. Well, not in anything other than a cosmic-supers or sci-fi game.

A different Phil

It is for an NPC and the weapon system is Prowl's shoulder-mounted incindiary missiles. In order for one shot to hit 2 decepticon jets the explosion would have to be megascaled because they usually wouldn't be flying wingtip to wingtip. :winkgrin:

As a follow-up, how would I create this in Hero Designer? Would I just buy megascale and attach a note detailing that it is megascaling the explosion or is there another way to do this. Also, would the cost of megascaling the explosion itself be the same as the cost for megascaling the range?

Thanks for the help.

Simple, just buy the power

4d6 RKA Explosion Megascale (1"= 1 KM), since the attack is an AE the Mega scale is defaulted according to most people to be the explosions range, you could alter it for no adjustment to cost(over the +1/4) by saying that the *range* was Megascaled instead. If you want to do *both* you would need to buy the Advantage twice. It only computes to a +3/4 Advantage and is easily affordable to starting 350 point PCs.

Hawksmoor

For my own campaigns I've ruled no, for the same reason I don't allow Megascale to be applied to an Area Effect: One Hex power -- Explosion is really a 'special case' of AE, so IMO this is an attempt to "shave" +1/2 worth of cost. I also require powers that naturally affect an area (Change Environment, Darkness, Images, etc.) to cover at least a 3" radius before Megascale can be applied (I similarly require 10" of movement power before Megascale can be applied).

Your mileage may vary, especially given other campaign constraints and all that.