Combat Pilot Roll Options

JohnTaber

re: DCV and the Death Star. Unless he makes a Combat Piloting roll to reduce that -100 to a -0. Which would be pretty amusing.

But a +2 still doesn't make that big a difference.

I stole this from the other thread. ;)

Does anyone else think this rule is not great?

I use the optional rule for this situation from Ultimate Vehicles. In my game you get +1 DCV for every point you make the combat pilot roll. In other words, simply making the roll does not eliminate the DCV penalty entirely.

It just didn't make sense to me...anyway...thoughts?

Re: Combat Pilot Roll Options

5er page 472. If you only dodge and don't have to make a piloting roll for any other reason you can make a Combat Piloting roll to eliminate a vehicle's size penalty for DCV.

For car chases and dog fights between small maneuverable craft it's fine. In general the rule could use some tweaking. I like the complimentary to DCV idea. Consider it swiped.

Hi Heroites: Along the same lines I also allow DCV to be less than 0. Again...if I am reading the rules right the lowest DCV allowed for a vehicle is 0. In other words, the Death Star and a fighter sitting in space have the same DCV. Weird.

Again...I think it can be really easily simplified by doing the following. This is what I do:

+ Piloting gives +1 per point made. See above.

+ DCV causes by size penalties can go less than 0.

The size mod covers everything...it seems to work fine...am I missing something?

I think most really large "vehicles" might be better classified as bases. Callling the Death Star a vehicle is a little over the top. Can it move? Sure. But is it really a fighting vehicle, or a mobile base?

I realize this is a bit off topic, so I return you to your regularly scheduled rules discussion...

If you think about, there's ample justification for allowing a skilled combat pilot to improve a spaceship's DCV through maneuvers. Unless your ship is a sphere or cube, most ships are wider or narrower depending on what aspect they're viewed from. So if a pilot can turn the ship so it's narrowest facing is turned towards the attacker, he can essentially "make the ship smaller." Even modern warships sometimes utilize this tactic by turning into an attacking missile or torpedo to narrow the target area.

As an example, our team's ship (Size 11) is 12" long, 6" wide, and 3" high. Based on it's size it has a base DCV of -7. But if our pilot can turn the tail directly towards the enemy ship it's just effectively become as small as a Size 8 vehicle (6.4" x 3.2"), which logically would improve its DCV to -5. Not a big difference, perhaps, but it might make quite a difference if it causes a 10d6 RKA to miss.

If you think about' date=' there's ample justification for allowing a skilled combat pilot to improve a spaceship's DCV through maneuvers. Unless your ship is a sphere or cube, most ships are wider or narrower depending on what aspect they're viewed from. So if a pilot can turn the ship so it's narrowest facing is turned towards the attacker, he can essentially "make the ship smaller." Even modern warships sometimes utilize this tactic by turning into an attacking missile or torpedo to narrow the target area.[/quote']

I agree. I think this is part of the -1 per roll made combined with size. The pilot is good enough to put the small side towards the attack. Again...just ideas... ;)