Alien Wars

tomd1969

Is there anyone out there running an Alien Wars campaign? Or, perhaps, a SH campaign set in the Alien Wars era? Or, how about a military SF campaign that doesn't use Alien Wars (but, perhaps, cribs some ideas from it)? :think:

I'm thinking about running one for my friends, so I'm looking for some advice--nothing specific, just pitfalls to look for, that sort of thing.

Re: Alien Wars

Is there anyone out there running an Alien Wars campaign? [...]

None of the above, unfortunately- finding SF players is a hard thing to do. But.

I one ran a Star Trek (Movie era) campaign with some "military SF" parts, as the players' ship was stationed in a sector with a serious pirate problem, and that sub-plot culminated in a rather large space battle involving several dozen larger ships. Some general "military SF" advice I condensed from that time:

-Let the PC's be of the same level in the hierarchy. Give them a superior who leads cooperatively, giving the PC's lots of room for self-initiative. (For a while, I used a real "pet captain" in that campaign, one who was seriously incapable of doing his job and relied on the PC's a s section leading officers most of the time. When that became too silly, I replaced him with a Picard-type leader.)

-In tactical situations when, realistically, the superior should be giving orders, let the players consult and decide what their superior will order them to do (and allow for the necessary time-outs to do that). That way, the players have full control of their character's fate, and you avoid bad feelings.

I ran a great military sci-fi campaign years ago based on the Alien Legion comic book. It was a blast.

My only pitfall is one that is common in all military games. If you want a deadly favor the stun roll becomes important. If everyone is throwing around 3d6 RKA one hit to the stomach and KO...not dead...KO. What I did was to apply -1 Stun Mod to the high tech firearms. The result is more blood with less unconciosness. It worked great.

In fact, if you are not experienced with how combats will work fun a mock combat with some of your players. Tell them it will help you get everything balanced for the game. Watch these type of issues.

Good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a great military sci-fi campaign years ago based on the Alien Legion comic book. It was a blast.

My only pitfall is one that is common in all military games. If you want a deadly favor the stun roll becomes important. If everyone is throwing around 3d6 RKA one hit to the stomach and KO...not dead...KO. What I did was to apply -1 Stun Mod to the high tech firearms. The result is more blood with less unconciosness. It worked great.

In fact, if you are not experienced with how combats will work fun a mock combat with some of your players. Tell them it will help you get everything balanced for the game. Watch these type of issues.

Good luck! :D

Sorry about the long wait before replying. Been busy and all that. :)

I was thinking about going with the Hit Location chart, and reducing the Stun Multiple by 1 or 2, and going from there. Then I would heavily restrict Body Armor (if I give it out at all).

To my mind, the Stun Lottery is hands-down the biggest weakness of the Hero System, but that's a matter for the Hero System Discussion boards...

Anyway...