3 Questions - Force Wall and Area of Effect

MistWing

I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions. Two of them concern a Force Wall and the third one is about Area of Effect.

Q1. I'm devising a teleport power that acts via a pair of vertical 'disks' that you walk through. One side of each disk is the entrance/exit of the teleport. The other side is a black disk that acts like a force wall. How do I determine how large the Force Wall should be? The book doesn't assume a vertical disk as a Force Wall's shape.

Q2. In the afore mentioned teleport, the portal can have a variable size, ranging from a couple of centimeters across to about a hundred meters across (this allows me to teleport whether I'm shape shifted into a mouse or a dragon). How can I effectively change the size of the Force Wall accordingly? Requiring a MultiPower with every possible size seems in-efficient. It also seems wrong since the cost would be much higher than the benefit gained.

Q3. Q2 got me wondering about how an Area of Effect could similarly be altered. Again, the official way is via the MultiPower. And, again, I think that the cost of such a power may well exceed the 'cost' of the benefit gained.

I would appreciate any input with these.

And, my thanks in advance.

MistWing SilverTail

Re: 3 Questions - Force Wall and Area of Effect

Q1. I'm devising a teleport power that acts via a pair of vertical 'disks' that you walk through. One side of each disk is the entrance/exit of the teleport. The other side is a black disk that acts like a force wall. How do I determine how large the Force Wall should be? The book doesn't assume a vertical disk as a Force Wall's shape.

Are you set on Force Wall? Because this could just be an unbreakable Focus.

Q2. In the afore mentioned teleport, the portal can have a variable size, ranging from a couple of centimeters across to about a hundred meters across (this allows me to teleport whether I'm shape shifted into a mouse or a dragon). How can I effectively change the size of the Force Wall accordingly? Requiring a MultiPower with every possible size seems in-efficient. It also seems wrong since the cost would be much higher than the benefit gained.

if you go for unbreakable focus, this is covered off in SFX.

Q3. Q2 got me wondering about how an Area of Effect could similarly be altered. Again, the official way is via the MultiPower. And, again, I think that the cost of such a power may well exceed the 'cost' of the benefit gained.

I'm probably being dense, but I'm not sure I understand your final question! Are you talking about applying AoE to the teleport? If you only want yourself to go through, it's irrelevant, as it's covered by SFX. If you want others to go through, you'll need Usable by others. If you're just talking about the Force Wall element, again, that ought to be covered off by SFX to some extent, although if you're talking about a focus that can go from mouse-sized to multiple hex-sized, that's too abusive to be hand-waved. Buy it to the largest size forcewall that you might need, you dont always have to use it at full power. Force wall is automatically an AoE power.

OK. What I see here is that you want to be able to generate a disk of force that on one side would repel attacks and on the other would allow you to step into it and teleport.

To me that is an entangle (only to create barriers) and a teleport (only fixed locations - location of barrier). Thus, if you generate a disk close to you to hide behind, you could then create another disk at the range limit of your entangle and then step from one to the other.

I think you could define the size of the entangle barrier when you create it (bit harder to work out without the book in front of me).

Doc

I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions. Two of them concern a Force Wall and the third one is about Area of Effect.

This is a bit vague. Are the disks objects he needs to carry with him? Are they structures built into the places he goes? Are they summoned by him, or otherwise appear at his command? Do both the disk he steps through and the disc he steps out of have the same "Foace Wall" like properties?

For now I'll assume he creates them at will because that's the easiest to work with at the moment, and I think it's what you're getting at (please correct me if I'm wrong).

A "vertical disk" sounds like a SFX and not a mechanic at all. For your 1" wide, 1" tall FW, you can just define it as disk-shaped and everyone's happy.

As for using Teleport through it... Is the Teleport a gate? What I mean is can anyone rush through, from either end, and can you see and shoot through it? There are rules specifically covering this type of Teleport and an example given next to Teleport in the rulebook. If only you can use it, then stepping through the disk is again just a matter of SFX (might have Restrainable on it though, as you need freedom of movement to step through).

If the disk you step out of also provides a FW like ability, it gets really tricky. Technically, you'd have to buy a second FW with the range of the Teleport. Personally, I'd just hand wave it since it's not likely to be protecting anyone on the other end anyway (unless mister disk-man decides he wants to be clever and create both disks in the middle of combat to provide cover for him and his friends).

Changing the size of a FW is easy. Just decide the maximum width and buy tha for the Force Wall, and only use as much of it as you need. If only you teleport through it, you don't need to mess with that part at all. If it operates as a gate, you just adjust the size of the Area Effect.

I'm not sure I follow you here. Area Effect is an Advantage, and can't do anything on its own. If you are thinking about using several Powers each with a different AE, then certainly you can do that in a Multipower. If it's all on the same Power with the same Modifiers, some GMs will allow the size of the AE to be altered at will, either based on the amount of effect used or without restriction, with no need for a Multipower.