Building Powers based of skill?

Darkhope

I'm building a multipower for a skilled fighter. One facet is a damage shield, another is a parry, and a third is a 1" Radius AE attack. Now these powers he can only do if he has a weapon, like his sword in his hand. He has already payed for the sword focus and its abilities, but the Multipower itself isn't a focus, its just skill. It only requires a focus to use the multipower. I gave this a -1/2 limitation "Weapon focus required". Would this be the proper way to build such abilities. Thanks in advance.

Re: Building Powers based of skill?

You might want to check out The Valdorian Age for ideas on how to construct these powers. There is a section on fighting tricks that seems tailor-made for what you are looking for. Two common limitations would be OIF (sword of opportunity) and Requires A Skill Roll (something like Fighting Tricks). That's a -1 in Limitations total right there.

I would tend to call it an OAF anyway. He is just as easily disarmed as a normal guy. And how often is the character likely to go anywhere without a weapon?

It depends on what you define as a weapon for the purposes of the MP. If only crafted weapons would work, like a knife, sword, or the like, those probably won't be just lying around the field of combat (until a few opponents go down), and I would define it as an OAF. If he can pick up a chair, a ladder, his shirt, or other object à la "Jackie Chan", then it would be hard to keep him disarmed and I might define it as an OIF.

The level of Focus is really determined by how hard it would be for him to rearm himself.

Well, they way I look at it, "required a particular object to work" is the Focus Limitation and nothing else. Skill or not, you need the Focus for it to work, so it gets the Focus Limitation.

The only question is does he need that particular sword, or will any similar object work just as well? This would make the difference between OAF and OIF. It's OIF if he can pick up any object and use it for this purpose (but needs to take the time to get the object if he's missing the sword), and it's OAF if he need a sword and swords can't be found in every back alley.