House Rules?

Fox1

Re: House Rules?

Now I'm not ignoring the rest of your post, I just don't want to derail this one. If you'd like we can continue through PM.

Oh I don't know if we need to take it to PM or now. It just seems like we watch different kinds of movies or read different kinds of books. But if you want to sure.

I also don't tend to use the mook rules like "only damage and a DCV". Tends to break the illusion of it being a 'real' world for me. Of course with my changes I don't need to :rockon:

My House Rules tend to depend on the genre of the game I am running. Since I tend toward heroic fantasy, keep that in mind. My standard ones are:

1.) Flash still lasts a number of the target's phases, rather than Segments, but it costs double (if a player really wanted to use the Segment duration version, I'd let them buy it at standard cost). This is consistent with the 4ed cost, but still includes reduced costs for non-targetting senses, etc.

2.) I use critical failures and successes on natural rolls of 18 and 3 (respectively). I like this, as it happens much less often than, for example, in D20, and I can take full license in making it interesting, not just one more game mechanic. I reserve the right to decide what this means each time it happens, but often a critical hit in combat means the damage roll automatically rolls maximum damage. Often I also use full optional damage rolls when a critical hit occurs. For critical failures in combat ("fumbles"), I often have the character's weapon break, have them lose their next Phase, etc.

3.) In most games I allow movement actions either before or after attack actions.

4.) For specific circumstances, I allow Healing other than Regeneration to be cumulative with previous rolls, rather than having to beat them. However, in this case I require the Healing to take the Cumulative Advantage. It usually isn't something players take, but instead a part of the environment or a very special magical item or something similar.

1.) Flash still lasts a number of the target's phases, rather than Segments, but it costs double (if a player really wanted to use the Segment duration version, I'd let them buy it at standard cost). This is consistent with the 4ed cost, but still includes reduced costs for non-targetting senses, etc.

I number of people have mentioned this house rule reversing flash back to 4th edition. I found this change in 5th edition one of the sensible ones.

What is the reasoning behind changing it back?

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see:

• We use resistant piercing for Heroic level games
  • After getting burned by Combat Luck, Deadly Blow, and a variety of FM martial arts those will also go the way of the dodo in Heroic games.
  • We use a lowered BODY stat
  • A revised weapons list [currently being re-revised].
  • A critial hit/miss system dependant on die roll and character LUCK
  • Varient LUCK rules

That is about all I can think of right now.

:smoke:

I number of people have mentioned this house rule reversing flash back to 4th edition. I found this change in 5th edition one of the sensible ones.

What is the reasoning behind changing it back?

If I was still using the SPD Chart, I'd use the new Flash rules. They are much better than the old rules. Because I have an initiative system, where every character, no matter the SPD, gets at least one action per round (more actions, the faster you are) I have to take Flash back to 10 points per d6, and simply make 1 action "blinded" per body rolled. Faster people shake it off "faster" but lose the same number of actions. (Example: Flashed for 3 actions... a slower charcter with only 1 action per round is flashed for three rounds... but a faster character who manages to get 2 actions per round, their first three are blinded, but their second action on the second round is free, while the first guy still has another whole round blinded.)

If I was still using the SPD Chart' date=' I'd use the new Flash rules. They are much better than the old rules. Because I have an initiative system, where every character, no matter the SPD, gets at least one action per round (more actions, the faster you are) I have to take Flash back to 10 points per d6, and simply make 1 action "blinded" per body rolled. Faster people shake it off "faster" but lose the same number of actions. (Example: Flashed for 3 actions... a slower charcter with only 1 action per round is flashed for three rounds... but a faster character who manages to get 2 actions per round, their first three are blinded, but their second action on the second round is free, while the first guy still has another whole round blinded.)[/quote']

Sounds to me that you shouldn't require any change back to fourth ed for this. Your initiative system looks like it's timed the same as the Turn/Segment system. Faster character would be blinding just as long as slower character, but lose more actions because they are faster.

Sounds to me that you shouldn't require any change back to fourth ed for this. Your initiative system looks like it's timed the same as the Turn/Segment system. Faster character would be blinding just as long as slower character' date=' but lose more actions because they are faster.[/quote']

Actually... at 5 points per die, Flash just becomes massively overpowered. 60 Active Points would get 12 actions... the equivalent of 12 PHASES (not Segments) under the SPD chart. That would have folks blinded forEVER! Not fun for anyone, I'd think.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well... but believe me, 5 points per die would be bah-roken with my initiative system.

Actually... at 5 points per die, Flash just becomes massively overpowered. 60 Active Points would get 12 actions... the equivalent of 12 PHASES (not Segments) under the SPD chart. That would have folks blinded forEVER! Not fun for anyone, I'd think.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well... but believe me, 5 points per die would be bah-roken with my initiative system.

Ah, I see, everybody is acting every "segment" using your system. I get it. :)

How about an alternative then? Use Flash like a Killing Attack. 15 points per die and the body rolled on the die (not the pips) is the number of "segments" the sense of stopped. That way it operates as if the default character had a SPD equal to about 4. You'd ge the same feel of the 5th edition method while still using your system of initiative. If 15 points per die makes Flash too ineffective (Flash Defense would be cheeper the more Flash costs), I suppose 10 point per die would work the same way, so long as you cound rounds instead of actions (to keep the feel of 5th edition).

Ah, I see, everybody is acting every "segment" using your system. I get it. :)

How about an alternative then? Use Flash like a Killing Attack. 15 points per die and the body rolled on the die (not the pips) is the number of "segments" the sense of stopped. That way it operates as if the default character had a SPD equal to about 4. You'd ge the same feel of the 5th edition method while still using your system of initiative. If 15 points per die makes Flash too ineffective (Flash Defense would be cheeper the more Flash costs), I suppose 10 point per die would work the same way, so long as you cound rounds instead of actions (to keep the feel of 5th edition).

Oh... 10 per d6 works fine for me. I don't know what I said to make you think it did not work. I have no desire to change my rules just to attempt to conform to 5th. All I said was that IF I still used the Speed Chart, I would use the 5th Edition Flash rules because they are better than the old ones. Since I don't have phases or segments (I have actions within rounds) then I have to make my own rules for powers that affect/are affected by phases and segments. Flash at 10 points per die mapped over just fine. Flash at 5 points per die doesn't. So I just don't change that rule. Easy.

This is where Hero shines... as a System to be modified to create any Game you want. There is no right way... just the way that works for you.

This is where Hero shines... as a System to be modified to create any Game you want. There is no right way... just the way that works for you.

Hmm...

Any game can be modified to create any game you want. The only limit is how much work you're willing to put into it- and how far from the orginalgame you're willing to go. So some point it's no longer that game.