Character: Bêlit

Susano

Re: Character: Bêlit

A few math errors: your Powers, Skills, and Perks add up to 81. However, I think 128 50-point Followers is actually 45 points. That should bring her to a total of 150, perfect example for beginning Heroic characters.

I'd actually give her the Fearless Talent from Fantasy Hero, and call her Psychological Limitation "Overconfidence" as opposed to "Fearless". But that's salting to taste, really.

I might have more observations if I could find my notes on this character.

A few math errors: your Powers, Skills, and Perks add up to 81. However, I think 128 50-point Followers is actually 45 points. That should bring her to a total of 150, perfect example for beginning Heroic characters.

I'd actually give her the Fearless Talent from Fantasy Hero, and call her Psychological Limitation "Overconfidence" as opposed to "Fearless". But that's salting to taste, really.

I might have more observations if I could find my notes on this character.

I'll look into that. I missed the Fearless Talent and will look it over and will make the proper corrections to the points. Thanks for the input.

She's too short. Conan is a reasonably big guy (6'4" to 6'6" in the books and comics) and Be'lit is clearly closer in height to him than a 5'5" woman would be. We're talking 5'10" to 6' of _woman_ with Amazon-like physical stats here.

She also has Amazon-like martial skills. Given how she got command of her first ship (1on1 HTH challenge of captain) and the stories, I'd boost her Dex to 18 and her Con to some extent as well and maybe even a SPD of 4 as well (Conan beat her in unarmed HTH because he overpowered her, not because he was faster or more skilled. Give Conan that 2hd pig sticker he's an expert with and almost no one in that world can match his skill. Unarmed, he's mediocre skill-wise, but he's god-awful strong, fast, and tough.). I'd also make her better at unarmed combat and +way+ better with a sword (cutlass in particular).

At also make her a very good tactician but a mediocre or even poor strategist.

This is one tough, opportunistic, and greedy woman. And that is both the secret of her success and the seed of her failure.

She's too short. Conan is a reasonably big guy (6'4" to 6'6" in the books and comics) and Be'lit is clearly closer in height to him than a 5'5" woman would be. We're talking 5'10" to 6' of _woman_ with Amazon-like physical stats here.

Uhm... what "Amazon-like physical stats"? Howard never gives her a height, only to say she looks up at/Conan looks down at her, when they first meet. And he never describes her fighting anyone.

She also has Amazon-like martial skills. Given how she got command of her first ship (1on1 HTH challenge of captain) and the stories,

Where is this from? A comic series? That's not my source material and not canon IMO.

I'd boost her Dex to 18 and her Con to some extent as well and maybe even a SPD of 4 as well (Conan beat her in unarmed HTH because he overpowered her, not because he was faster or more skilled. Give Conan that 2hd pig sticker he's an expert with and almost no one in that world can match his skill. Unarmed, he's mediocre skill-wise, but he's god-awful strong, fast, and tough.). I'd also make her better at unarmed combat and +way+ better with a sword (cutlass in particular).

Conan never beat her in any fight. They never fought. Were are you getting this from?

At also make her a very good tactician but a mediocre or even poor strategist.

This is one tough, opportunistic, and greedy woman. And that is both the secret of her success and the seed of her failure.

It has been aeon since I read that story back when I was playing GURPS, but from what I remember she looks good. Now I don't have the books anymore and I am only going on the GURPS book here but it says that she had a vow/revenge against slavers and if that is the case it might be a way to make up those last 9 points without calling them experience. As I have said though, it has been aeon since I read that book and I know supplement writers sometime take liberties.

G

(Yes I own GURPS Conan, you want to make something of it;))

It has been aeon since I read that story back when I was playing GURPS' date=' but from what I remember she looks good. Now I don't have the books anymore and I am only going on the GURPS book here but it says that she had a vow/revenge against slavers and if that is the case it might be a way to make up those last 9 points without calling them experience. As I have said though, it has been aeon since I read that book and I know supplement writers sometime take liberties.[/quote']

That has to be someone taking liberties. Bêlit never says anything about her past, other to say her forefathers were kings.

Were are you getting this from?

The Robert E. Howard books and the Marvel Series of the 1970's and 1980's which filled in many of the unclear or undeveloped parts of the books. IIRC, the Marvel series was blessed by Howard and/or Howard's estate, making it just as "canon" as the books.

Be'lit was caucasian, had black hair, was tall for a woman (taller than some of her male crew) but shorter than Conan. Conan was always depicted as being taller than most men who were not freaks of nature.

Be'lit's pirate crew were depicted as being multi-racial but all male. Her first mate was a large (~Conan's size), bald, black guy who clearly worshipped the ground she walked on (so did the vast majority of her crew for that matter, many being slaves she had freed.). Conan meets her when Be'lit's superb tactics capture the ship he is on (I don't remember why Conan was on that ship.) During the battle part of the capture, Be'lit is shown as being very good with a cutlass (this gets shown a few more times in the Be'lit plot arc.)

Be'lit and Conan have one unarmed HTH that is clearly pre mating testing behavior before they become a couple. Other than being unarmed, she doesn't hold back much.

She's very fast, knows a few nasty HTH tricks, and Conan is clearly out-classed skill and speed-wise (but not Dex-wise, there they are close). But he's still Conan, and his larger size, outrageous (for a mortal) stats, and the fact that he's been fighting since he could walk, ultimately give him the victory.

She has a nasty temper, a bit of a jealous/possesive streak, and is greedy and opportunistic enough that she takes chances she knows are unwise for potential financial gain. This last leads to a series of unwise and strategically poor decisions that ultimately end up being the cause of her death.

...and yes, she comes back from the dead as a spirit once to save Conan's life.

I see. Well, I'm not interested in the Marvel Comics Conan. I am basing this adaption (and any other ones) directly on REH's writings. I am using the recent Del Rey releases, which contain the original published text, edited only for spelling errors. My Conan and Valeria (seen in Red Nails) will be developed and written-up the same way.

Marvel may have felt the need to make Bêlit into a warrior-woman, but REH didn't present her that way. Her crew is stated to be island natives from the far south and all are tall, powerfully built black men. Bêlit herself is white-skinned, black-haired, and dark-eyed. Height is never given. She doesn't fight anyone (AFAIK) when the Tigress takes a prize. She doesn't fight Conan when they meet, she basically tells him he's going to be her lover and they will rule the seas together. If the Marvel story shows events otherwise, then they are basically going Hollywood on an already excellent story for no real reason.

It's been 30+ years for me: remind me how Be'lit died in the books?

EDIT:

...as for "not being a warrior woman", this is a woman who ended up in charge of an all male, cyncial batch of warriors. Exactly how do you think they had enough respect for her to follow her lead and command? It sure wasn't that they thought her a religious figure. And repressed sexual attraction only gets a woman so far.

She had to have earned it by smarts and the proper application of force.

It's been 30+ years for me: remind me how Be'lit died in the books?

The winged ape hangs Belit by the neck from the yardarm of her ship.

EDIT:

...as for "not being a warrior woman", this is a woman who ended up in charge of an all male, cyncial batch of warriors. Exactly how do you think they had enough respect for her to follow her lead and command? It sure wasn't that they thought her a religious figure. An repressed sexual attraction only gets a woman so far.

Not according to REH. In the story Conan realizes her warriors see her as a goddess figure.

The winged ape hangs her by the neck from the yardarm of her ship.

Bingo! That's the same as I recall in the official Marvel adaptation. And Marvel made a big deal out of the series being the "official" adaptation.

Not according to REH. In the story Conan realizes her warriors see her as a goddess figure.

More like priestess... ...of war and plunder. And a bloody hand-ons one at that (Tigress was just a bit self allusionary after all). IIRC, the major friction point that develops between Be'lit and Conan is that her bloodthirsty worship (of Odin by the time she dies IIRC) is a bit much for even our young barbarian.

Besides, can you really see Conan, particularly a young Conan, being attracted to or by an intellectual, non physically capable passionate/fierce woman? Sex toy, maybe. Companion who will "rule the seas together" with her? No way. She had to more like him than not for such a thing to work.

The lady had to be a warrior woman. Regadless of any other traits she definitely had.

Side Note:

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't it Be'lit that taught Conan to read?

EDIT:

...as for "not being a warrior woman", this is a woman who ended up in charge of an all male, cyncial batch of warriors. Exactly how do you think they had enough respect for her to follow her lead and command? It sure wasn't that they thought her a religious figure. An repressed sexual attraction only gets a woman so far.

Yeah, in the first book, Bêlit is arguably the character with the highest PRE. Her crew worships her as a goddess given flesh. She wears no armor, only brief costly silks her crew seized from other ships. She is mentioned as having a slender dagger, but she never actually is seen fighting with it.

She originally captures Conan's ship because his ship (on which he is a hitchhiker) tries to run from her, and she outmaneuvers them; well, that and having her crew pepper them with arrows.

Other than the possible addition of Fearless, I'd say your writeup is spot-on for the "literary Bêlit." Now, if Ki-rin wants to write up the "comic book Bêlit," well, I'm certainly not going to complain about someone else doing the work... :whistle:

All I could really find were pics of that crappy McFarlane action figure.

Well, this image (WARNING! PARTIAL NUDITY!) is from the new edition. It adheres really closely to the story; I wish I owned a print of it, as I think it's very tastefully done.

There might be more worthwhile images in The Illustrated World of Robert E. Howard, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't say.

Hierax's is a Nice picture, and it indeed looks like the "traditional" 1970's version on Be'lit.

As to the character, the Str of 15 is too high (8-10), Dex of 23 is too high (15-18), and so is the SPD of 5 (3-4). The other stats could indeed be in the given range.

There's no evidence to support a Berserk Dis Ad, and I don't remember her being much of an archer. Certainly not as much as in the write up!

I'd also get rid of the Deus Ex Machina "Conan's Co-Star shall not die" stuff...

Other than that, I think Hierax's write up is reasonably on target. Including that 1.75m (5'9") is IMHO much closer to a reasonable height for her. 1.75m to 1.80m (5'9" to 5'11") seems dead on.

THIS is a woman who could make a bunch of hard bitten warriors believe her to be an Instrument of The Divine... ...and need a very special man for a lifemate ...and make even a Conan consider her as a lifemate.

Some short, diaphanous priestess/goddess impersonator without an imposing physical as well as emotional presence would never consider Conan as a lifemate, nor be considered as such by him.

Good looking and good in bed are things that Conan takes for granted out of the women he sleeps with. There has to be far more than that to hold his attention for any length of time.

Hierax's is a Nice picture, and it indeed looks like the "traditional" 1970's version on Be'lit.

As to the character, the Str of 15 is too high (8-10), Dex of 23 is too high (15-18), and so is the SPD of 5 (3-4). The other stats could indeed be in the given range.

There's no evidence to support a Berserk Dis Ad, and I don't remember her being much of an archer. Certainly not as much as in the write up!

I'd also get rid of the Deus Ex Machina "Conan's Co-Star shall not die" stuff...

Other than that, I think Hierax's write up is reasonably on target. Including that 1.75m (5'9") is IMHO much closer to a reasonable height for her. 1.75m to 1.80m (5'9" to 5'11") seems dead on.

THIS is a woman who could make a bunch of hard bitten warriors believe her to be an Instrument of The Divine... ...and need a very special man for a lifemate ...and make even a Conan consider her as a lifemate.

Some short, diaphanous priestess/goddess impersonator without an imposing physical as well as emotional presence would never consider Conan as a lifemate, nor be considered as such by him.

Good looking and good in bed are things that Conan takes for granted out of the women he sleeps with. There has to be far more than that to hold his attention for any length of time.

It seems to me that Heirax used the GURPS version of Belit in the creation of his.

G