Tetrodotoxin

Dust Raven

Re: Tetrodotoxin

Tetrodotoxin Paralytic Darts: Drain STR 3d6, Range Based On STR (+1/4), Continuous (+1); OAF (blowgun; -1), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), No Affect Versus rPD Or Appropriate LS (-1/2). Real Cost: 19 points.

There is no RKA bought as a delivery system, since the dart is so small it couldn't cause any physical damage to the target. It's simply represented by the "No Affect..." Limitation.

Would this work?

I think it would work. After looking at the effects of Negative STR, I think it will be close to what you want. I didn't look at it originally, because I usually GM a Champions campaign, and a STR Drain on a brick would take forever. I didn't know if that would be a probelm. :)

And as somebody noted, you should buy down the frequency of point recovery. it should be at least 5pts/5 min, if not 5 pts/30 min.

I've always used Mental Illusions for this effect myself, since at +30 EGO they can't do anything that affects the real world. Your poison effect would probably be Based on CON, with additional limitations that they can still perceive the real world and must hit the +30 level of effect. For a dart effect adding Linked and/or requiring a point of BODY to be done by a MPA'd attack can be used as well.

It's expensive in terms of active points (although the real cost can easily be brought done with limitations), and arguably should be given the things you can do to/with a helpless opponent.

I've always used Mental Illusions for this effect myself, since at +30 EGO they can't do anything that affects the real world. Your poison effect would probably be Based on CON, with additional limitations that they can still perceive the real world and must hit the +30 level of effect. For a dart effect adding Linked and/or requiring a point of BODY to be done by a MPA'd attack can be used as well.

It's expensive in terms of active points (although the real cost can easily be brought done with limitations), and arguably should be given the things you can do to/with a helpless opponent.

I thought about that myself, but tossed it out almost immediately. A character paralysed in this way should have full mental facilities and should even be able to perceive their enviornment (though in RL the toxin will fiddle with the senses a bit). I figure it should still paralyse a mentalist, regardless of their EGO and Mental Defense, but the mentalist should still be able to use all of his Mental Power.

Just to make sure I understand what you want - you want poison that paralyzes someone to the point that they appear to be dead but are actually still alive, albeit only barely.

Right?

Okay, so how's this:

Delivery system: the usual Pentrating RKA with the poison getting the limit "only if RKA does BODY".

The poison: Simulate Death, usable against others(+1/4), usable as an attack(+1), standard effect for duration. CON roll instead of EGO roll(-1)

OK, so your wouldn't be able to detect a heartbeat or anything, but wouldn't the fact that the character is walking around, talking, fighting, etc. be a bit of a giveaway?

I thought about that myself' date=' but tossed it out almost immediately. A character paralysed in this way should have full mental facilities and should even be able to perceive their enviornment (though in RL the toxin will fiddle with the senses a bit). I figure it should still paralyse a mentalist, regardless of their EGO and Mental Defense, but the mentalist should still be able to use all of his Mental Power.[/quote']

MI based on CON works beautifully. There's no reason that someone subject to Ego+30 MI CAN'T perceive their environment/use mental powers or any other poer that didn't require physical movement: you can define the effect when you build the power and it can certainly be 'can't move based on muscle, but can do anything else they can normally do'. Equally you could do it with mind control based on CON.

The advantage of MI is you can use the same construct for ANY poison, even one that causes damage or drains - MI can do that at that level. Cost analysis on page one of this thread....certainly no more expensive than drain, at least in a superhero game, and you can make it cumulative so several hits are required to create the effect.

Doesn't do the gradual effect thing as well, but, if I understood you right, you were after a pretty much instant effect anyway.

The problem with mental illusions et al is not so much they can't do what you want: they can BUT they have breakout rolls, which can be a bit unrealistic re recovery. Again see my post on page one for mitigating this to a more realistic level.

BTW your darts need 'uncontrolled', I think: at present you have to maintain the toxin for it to be effective: if you are stunned it stops causing additional damage :)

MI based on CON works beautifully. There's no reason that someone subject to Ego+30 MI CAN'T perceive their environment/use mental powers or any other poer that didn't require physical movement: you can define the effect when you build the power and it can certainly be 'can't move based on muscle' date=' but can do anything else they can normally do'. Equally you could do it with mind control based on CON.[/quote']

I've always hated the Based On CON Limitation. It should be worth more than -1 for all the crap it puts the Power through.

The advantage of MI is you can use the same construct for ANY poison, even one that causes damage or drains - MI can do that at that level. Cost analysis on page one of this thread....certainly no more expensive than drain, at least in a superhero game, and you can make it cumulative so several hits are required to create the effect.

Doesn't do the gradual effect thing as well, but, if I understood you right, you were after a pretty much instant effect anyway.

The problem with mental illusions et al is not so much they can't do what you want: they can BUT they have breakout rolls, which can be a bit unrealistic re recovery. Again see my post on page one for mitigating this to a more realistic level.

It's those breakout rolles that break the effect completely I thing. The last thing I need it someone physical weakling to get a lucky roll and for some reason he's just fine while Buba who doesn't seem to get sick or tired a lot rolls crappy and is stuck for a Turn (or more).

BTW your darts need 'uncontrolled', I think: at present you have to maintain the toxin for it to be effective: if you are stunned it stops causing additional damage :)
Continuing Charges have Uncontrolled built in. All it needs is a continuous powers. Still needs a fairly obvious or common method of shutting down the Power, in this case, it's finding and pulling out the dart.

You're all right about continuing charges.

The other thing that struck me, in favour of drains, is healing the damage: if you do it with MI/MC there is no obvious way to 'heal' someone under the effect of the toxin: with drain you just use aid or heal.

So that's good.

Guest WhammeWhamme

No he doesn't. Continuing Charges give you Uncontrolled for free (or at least they did in 5E; I'm not sure about 5ER).

Hmph. Interesting. That's a switch from 4th edition.