Some Fantasy HERO questions

Starlord

Could you provide a bit more clarity on what will be in Fantasy HERO as compared to the Fantasy HERO Grimoire?

Is the Grimoire ONLY going to contain spell examples? Sort of a Fantasy UNTIL Database? Or will it contain different magic systems, as well as magic items (the latter would be an EXCELLENT addition in my opinion).

Or will the main FH book contain the magic systems? Also will it have extensive magic-based character packages (as well as other fantasy character archetypes and packages)? AND approximately how many actual character examples will the books have?

Thanks

I've moved this to the FH boards where it's more appropriate.

The FH Grimoire will be nothing but spells. Comparing it to The UNTIL Superpowers Database is certainly apt; it'll be the exact same sort of book, just with spells instead of superpowers. In fact, I joked the other night in the chat that I'd just take the USPD manuscript, apply Focus, Gestures, Incantations, and Requires A Skill Roll to each power, and voila! Grimoire. ;) That's not true, of course, but it illustrates the similar nature of the two books.

There's no room in the FHG for magic systems or enchanted items. It will be all I can do to keep it at a reasonable size with just spells. Magic systems we'll save for setting books, and enchanted items will probably get a book of their own eventually (much in the same way Gadgets And Gear mirrors the USPD). In any event, I'll have the same advice in the FHG that I have in the USPD -- if you want a magic item, just apply Focus and such to an FHG spell, and presto, magic item.

FH itself will discuss how to create magic systems, and provide about a dozen examples. It has, at present, 61 Package Deals of various sorts (racial, environmental, cultural, professional). It will have approximately ten example characters, similar to SH.

Originally posted by Steve Long

FH itself will discuss how to create magic systems, and provide about a dozen examples. It has, at present, 61 Package Deals of various sorts (racial, environmental, cultural, professional). It will have approximately ten example characters, similar to SH.

This sounds excellent. :cool:

im not so sure every spell needs those suggested limitations, Focus is very optional IMNSHO, RSR is kinda usable (but some people think that the point savings can be reinvested in SKill Levels for the Magic Skill far far too easily). ect... essentially for every disad there can be a counter...