Blanket Esoteric Defense

Supreme

I wanted to make a character who has a certain limited amount of defense to all the esoteric attacks: drains, flashes, find weakness, etc. I'd like to avoid the trouble (if not the expense) of buying and writing out fourteen different defense powers. Can anyone thing of a way to buy one big defense power that would cover all of those?

Re: Blanket Esoteric Defense

Sounds like you want a version of the "nemesis defense" which I usually build as a small cosmic VPP' date=' uncontrolled, limited power set.[/quote']

Hurm... Sounds kind of borderline to me... VPPs aren't supposed to make defensive powers and all...

Well, you can buy Resistant PD, ED, Mental Def, Flash Def and/or Power Def as points of Force Field. You could put all the exotic Defenses into a special FF, modified to suit your tastes, which would leave only Lack Of Weakness to buy separately. And if you could fit that into a Multipower or an Elemental Control, the cost would be greatly reduced.

Alternatively, if you don't mind bending the rules, you could create a separate category of Damage Reduction, "Exotic DR," that would work against Adjustment Powers and/or Flashes vs all Sense Groups.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Any power that's normally 0 END and persistent is off limits to any framework' date=' without GM's permission.[/quote']

Say what? I thought that was just EC?

Not all Defense Powers are Special Powers.

True, but Lack of Weakness, Mental Defense, Power Defense, and Flash Defense are and those are the ones I'm talking about.

I guess for me the really kicker is Flash Defense. If I want a little flash defense - say five points worth - for all my senses I have to buy it for sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell. That's 25 points!!! Maybe there should be a cost break for non-targetting senses.

Hurm... Sounds kind of borderline to me... VPPs aren't supposed to make defensive powers and all...

I've always felt that the rules about what you can or can't put into a power framework seemed arbitrary, particularly in light of the numerous published characters who technically breakt the rules. So I fall back on the "reason from special effect, then ask the GM if it's okay" rule. As long as you build it right, it's not abusive. Especially if you keep it to a 10 or 15 point pool, which is really all you need for something like this.

I don't think most GMs would disallow a couple different kinds of special defenses in a gear-based MP or VPP. Especially if having a little defense against everything was your character's thing. Still, since defenses are so cheap, defense tuning is definitely something I'd imagine most GMs keep a close eye on. And I wouldn't allow a character who had substantial amounts of defense vs. everything. Enough to blunt, perhaps, but not enough to shrug off most attacks if he knows what's coming.

Well,as a GM I can definitely affirm that tracking defenses is important. But the cool thing about making it a VPP is that it actually WEAKENS the overall defenses of the character as opposed to buying defenses against everything - because the character can only have the defense against one or two things at a time. Obviously, teamwork can cut right through such a construction.