Rules Question: Multipower with Variable Limitations

Sociotard

So, lets say a character buys a nice happy 60pt multipower, and sets up the powers in it. He notices that the LEAST limited power in the set has -1 in limitations (due to creation concept). Now, each power has different limitations, but each has at least -1. Could the character declare a -1/2 variable limitation on the reserve?

*edit*

I should explain my question. The rules say that if you apply a lim to the pool, each power that draws off the pool must have the same limitation. Each power in this pool wouldn't have the -1/2 variable limitation, they would each have the -1 in limitations associated with variable limitation.

Re: Rules Question: Multipower with Variable Limitations

By the rules, it's not legal. Even by the spirit of the rules, it's not legal. What I'd allow is th Variable Limitation to be placed on the Reserve and each slot, but each slot is individually restricted to a single Limitation they can choose from. Ultimately it's the same thing, but to get the cost of the Reserve down, you'd need to increase the cost of the slots (probably still saving points though).

Guest WhammeWhamme

He could rework his character to have -1/2 in variable limitations _instead_ of the current build. Please note that Focus and Charges do NOT work well like that; if any focus is taken, all powers go, and if you run out of Charges, all powers are gone.

But if it's NOT like that, then sure. And charges and Focus could be taken in addition to the base -1.

I might even allow a character like that either a -1/4 limitation on the reserve to the effect of 'Each power has set limitations' - or give it some other minor fringe benefit instead in exchange for that being a -0. Assuming that IS significantly limiting to the character. (like having the individual slots have "Set Limitation" for -1/2, not -1/4)

Well, I personally allow a VPP Reserve to take a -1/4 Limitation if all of the Powers in it must choose at minimum one of a set of Limitations that are worth that price (Gestures, Incantations, Concentration, Extra Time, etc.). So maybe I am the wrong person to ask. :)

When in doubt, look at the numbers:

60 MP

6u Slot A

6u Slot B

6u Slot C

Total cost 78

60 MP

3u Power with -1 Lim A

3u Power with -1 Lim B

3u Power with -1 Lim C

Total cost: 69

Save 9 points for powers that lose half their effectiveness?

40 MP 60 base w/-1/2 Vairable Lim.

4u Slot A

4u Slot B

4u Slot C

Total Cost: 52 This is more powerful than what Sociotard wants. So what his MP should cost no more than this.

40 MP 60 base w/-1/2 Vairable Lim.

3u Power with -1 Lim A

3u Power with -1 Lim B

3u Power with -1 Lim C

Total cost 49 - this is what I would recommend. It seems fairly priced to me. (Assuming no weaseling with Charges lims.)