How to build a drag chute?

Ehreval

A player in my bi-monthly supers game has requested a power that I, frankly, don't know how to build.

He's a robot with a built-in parachute, and he wants to be able to use it as a drag chute to slow down or stop his character's motion from knockbacks and other situations where he's not in control over his own speed.

Specifically, he's requested that it have greater effect the further he's being knocked back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ehreval

Re: How to build a drag chute?

Just buy the powers that the drag chute would provide. The ones that jump to my mind are Knockback resistance and Gliding (for falls). Maybe you could get a few points of defense to represent chutes activating to lessen the effect of throws, too. Maybe some additional strength, only to prevent something from pulling the character? I'm sure you and the player can think of others.

Limit the powers as necessary, depending on the details of how the chutes work. The chutes could just be special effects, in which case no limits needed. That's the way I'd go.

I can't see the justification for the chutes have more impact depending on the power of the effect. But if you must, just buy the powers in limited increments...5 pts knockback resistance, +5 pts KBR, only when knocked back X inches (-1/4), etc. I wouldn't give much of a limit on this though. You only need more KBR when hit by larger attacks, so it doesn't make much sense to allow a big discount.

So every time the Hulk sends him flying he want's to pop a chute?

How... different. I'd tell him no because chutes wouldn't have time to deploy against KBN and it would look silly if it appeared in a comic- but to each their own.

For KNB, buy KNB Resistance with a trigger and charges (he doesn't have endless chutes does he?). You can toss a limit on it, something like "Only to counter 1/2 the knockback", would seem to be a -1 limit.

If he wants both KNB defense and falling protection, he can toss it into a multipower with the second slot being a normal gliding power with the typical limits to deal with falls.

Here we get into a automatic MP switching deal- buying triggered on the whole MP should work in this case (trigger- falling, trigger- KNB. Charges should be for the whole MP.

How... different. I'd tell him no because chutes wouldn't have time to deploy against KBN and it would look silly if it appeared in a comic- but to each their own.
Yeah, but if he had "stabilizing booster rockets," it would be ok? I'd hate to tell a player no for something like this. I agree it would look silly, but it is just sfx.

And just to run on a bit. "Stabilizing booster rockets" that know when to activate is no more implausible than parachutes that know when to activate, and then reload themselves automatically. All the triggers and such aren't necessary, unless that's the way the character wants them to work.

Yeah' date=' but if he had "stabilizing booster rockets," it would be ok? I'd hate to tell a player no for something like this. I agree it would look silly, but it is just sfx.[/quote']

I was sort of assuming the rockets, otherwise I was thinking about RSR- Breakfall in order to align himself right...

Yeah, if he really wants it and doesn't mind looking silly- sure. Go for it. You may have to consider a min. distance of knb or falling just to show off the deployment of the chute.

You know he could buy the chute only vs. falling, and assume that his stablizing rockets handle the knb problem...

And just to run on a bit. "Stabilizing booster rockets" that know when to activate is no more implausible than parachutes that know when to activate, and then reload themselves automatically. All the triggers and such aren't necessary, unless that's the way the character wants them to work.

Trigger is needed for the guilding side of things. It's also needed for the KNB resistance if you build it with charges, unless you want the thing firing every phase :)

So you'd let that write-up work against knockback?
I, for one, would.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, try 10" of Knockback Resistance, with the Limitation Cannot Reduce More Than Half Knockback (-1) and the other Limitations from the TUV write-up.

If you can make an airbag deploy fast enough to keep you from splattering across the inside of a car, couldn't you make a drag chute deploy fast enough to counter knockback? It's not like it would be the first time a superhero game had a bit of rubbery science.

I'd probably use a combination of Trigger, Recoverable Charge, and Extra Time (to reset the chute), in addition to whatever powers are involved (KB resistance, Gliding).

As an afterthought, if you use some kind of rapid deployment like an airbag does, you might even be able to make an emergency Entangle out of that, too. Blast the chute and it wraps the enemy. Probably only a one or two hex range.

You could also build the chute as like a 25- Breakfall Skill bought as a Power. It could certainly help with Throws and Knockback, and with a very very likely Extraordinary roll (success by 10 or more), there are plenty of other things it could be useful for. Of course, that's like 35 Active Points, which is pretty expensive. :)

More KB, more effect?

Absorbtion (physical or energy damage to KBR, instant effect (points fade immediately after use))

Doesn't prevent falling damage, but a few inches of gliding with an extra phase to activate should do that for you. You could stick it in a MP with the absorbtion if you like.

One of the PC's in the current campaign has the -10" KB, only reduces up to half of KB power. In his case it's not a focus but a representation of his ability to control his momentum.

You might also want to add Gliding, Trigger, Uncontrolled with a Continuing Charge if you want this to function when he's unconscious and falling.