Travis Mcgee

shadowcat1313

Re: Travis Mcgee

McGee doesn't go through any significant character changing arcs until the green ripper, though nightmare in pink does effect him some (I've read all of them). In fact, over time, he ages. By the end of the series he's struggling to maintain his physical form. Early McGee is probably 100 points and no more than 150 points. Late McGee (by book 20) could probably be built on 200 points. I'll have to fiddle with it. I did do write ups (lost) for the Continental Op, Sam Spade, and Phillip Marlowe.

I've only read one (starting on another soon) and I think he would have a whole suite of PRE skills' date=' Deduction, and Dirty Infighting. He has more CON than STR. He has resistance, and maybe just general power defense.[/quote']

Power Defense?

I saw him get drugged' date=' beaten, concussed, and half-drowned and keep going. He seems to have a little resistance to just about any attack.[/quote']

I would just give him bonuses to his con and/or ego rolls. He's not an ubermentsch; he has very human limits. He's frequently outmatched, temporarily incapacitated, or seriously injured. He also succumbs to physical punishment a lot. There are several books where he has to lie low or goes down faster than you'd expect. He usually has (non-combat) recovery time to take advantage of. Incidentally, which book?

The Deep Blue Goodbye.

It touched a very very angry part of me. Excellent book.

Its the first one; a good place to start. :D

The first four were all published in one year, so its likely he had been sitting on them and polishing his concept until he was happy with it. They serve to establish McGee in strong terms. Nightmare in Pink, A Purple Place for Dying, and the Quick Red fox are more Novella length (that last one is one of my favorite McGees). Most of the books in the series do hit a sharp verve. You'll really like Meyer when you meet him. He becomes very important to the series over time and serves as a counter-point to McGee in a lot of ways.

I just finished Deep Blue goodbye, great book

I am going to have to e-mail Spider Robinson, he mentions in Callahans Key having visited the harbor where the Busted Flush was kept, and he talked about the slip having a plaque calling it a literary landmark, I am curious if that was artistic license or if it actually exists