Gallant H-90

Being a longtime Robotech fan, I occasionally mess with trying to do write-ups for various mecha and equipment. One of the things that has always bugged me was the popular Gallant H-90 Multiweapon System of the Mospeda and Sentinals. For those not familiar with the weapon, it is a modular energy pistol/rifle with various firing settings. In pistol mode, it can fire a standard blast which does light damage to heavily armored targets or a lower setting for lightly armored or unarmored targets (effectively the same power as a conventional heavy pistol). The low setting uses so little power it's payload is effectively unlimited so long as a single charge is in the clip. In rifle mode, it does even more damage and has a greater payload. There is also a barrel attachment (almost always used in rifle mode) that increases the weapon's range.

The trick I was having is figuring out how to combine all of this on a Hero System character sheet and have it accurately describe what the weapon is and does. But I think I've finally got it.

18 Gallant H-90 Multi-Weapon System: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)
2u 1) Low Setting: EB 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) 0
2u 2) High Setting: RKA 1d6+1, 20 Charges (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) [20]
16 Gallant H-90 Rifle Extension: RKA +1d6, 30 Charges (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) plus 30 Charges (+1/4) for up to 45 Active Points of RKA; OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) [30]
5 Gallant H-90 Barrel Extension: Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifier with Gallant H-90; OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

Total Cost: 43 points

Basically, the Extra Time Limitation represents the time it takes to attack the necessary parts. It takes a full phase to attach the entire rifle extension. The naked Charges advantages represent that the base damage of the pistol mode doesn't use it's own charges, but those of the rifle. The barrel takes a seperate full phase to attach, so completely building the full rifle takes two phases.

How does this look? Any suggestions, comments or criticisms?

Re: Gallant H-90

Nicely done. seems to nicely differentiate the difference in power level between the settings. 6d EB vs 2d+1 RKA, AF5, AP denotes a nice shift from small arms fire to military grade impact.

My only question is that the way you have it, you can empty the clip in pistol form shooting the RKA and then slap the rifle extension on and go to town again. Is that what you were aiming for?

To my understanding' date=' that is how the weapon works. When the rifle extension is attached, the rifle clip overrides the connection to the pistol clip. You can empty one and still have the other.[/quote']

Handy. I'll have to borrow that write-up and file off the serial numbers.

Hey!

I use the Gallant H-90 as the multi-purpose Battle-rifle for the Marines in my Star Hero campaign.

The stats you came up with are very close to what mine looks like. I however didn't include a "Low setting" on the pistol (which I like a lot. I may adopt that)

I had the pistol version as 1D6+1K AP Autofire-5, just like yours.

For the rifle, it did 2D6K (yours does 2D6+1K) AP Autofire-10, X5 range.

Thus the range of the pistol version is somewhere around 300 meters, but the rifle version extends the range to around 2250 meters, making the rifle good for long-range sniping action.

On your writeup, I don't see limitations such as STR min, Real Weapon, or 2-handed (for the Rifle)

STR-min and Real Weapon could be added to the multipower itself. The Rifle extension would merely add to the STR Min and would posses the 2-handed limitation as well.

Mind if I add this to the Robotech section of my conversions list?

Not at all! Actually, send me a link so I can check out the rest of it. I also think I've finally figured out how to do the missile launchers accurately (well, one of two ways, and only one uses Summon).

Hey!

I use the Gallant H-90 as the multi-purpose Battle-rifle for the Marines in my Star Hero campaign.

The stats you came up with are very close to what mine looks like. I however didn't include a "Low setting" on the pistol (which I like a lot. I may adopt that)

I had the pistol version as 1D6+1K AP Autofire-5, just like yours.

For the rifle, it did 2D6K (yours does 2D6+1K) AP Autofire-10, X5 range.

Thus the range of the pistol version is somewhere around 300 meters, but the rifle version extends the range to around 2250 meters, making the rifle good for long-range sniping action.

On your writeup, I don't see limitations such as STR min, Real Weapon, or 2-handed (for the Rifle)

STR-min and Real Weapon could be added to the multipower itself. The Rifle extension would merely add to the STR Min and would posses the 2-handed limitation as well.

Throughout the course of the series, and in the novels, I never once saw an issue concerning either a STR min (Annie was using rocket launchers!), a weapon manfunction or need for maintenience, or a penalty imposed on a character because he needed a certain number of hands to fire a weapon, so I chose not to include them. For a more realistic depiction of such a weapon, I'd certainly include them, but for a Robotech conversion I don't feel they are necessary.