Skilled Archers Bow

Im making a custom bow for a skilled archer and was wondering what anyone thought of it.

2d6 RKA (16 RC, Recovers under limited circumstances +0) Autofire (5 shots, +1/2) 45 AP (OAF -1) (Required Hands 2 -1/2) (Str Min 10, -1/2) (Beam -1/4) Real Cost 14

I used Autofire to simulate a quickhanded and skilled archer, and with Autofire skills its really effective.

But I was going to do a multipower with it instead like this.

Multipower 67 AP (16 RC, Recovers under limited circumstances +0) (OAF -1) (Required Hands 2 -1/2) (Str Min 10, -1/2) Real Cost 22

1u 2d6 RKA (16 RC, Recovers under limited circumstances +0) Autofire (5 shots, +1/2) 45 AP (OAF -1) (Required Hands 2 -1/2) (Str Min 10, -1/2) (Beam -1/4)

2u 2d6 RKA (16 RC, Recovers under limited circumstances +0) (AOE cone 7" Selective +1 1/4) 67 AP (OAF -1) (Required Hands 2 -1/2) (Str Min 10, -1/2) (Can be Missle Deflected -1/4)

Total cost is 25...

so which is better? which do you like?

Re: Skilled Archers Bow

I like them both, but the AE slot on the Multipower should (IMO) have an additional Limitation that automatically uses up Charges equal to the number of targets aimed at. I don't care how skilled the archer is, I just can't see him hitting more than one target with the same arrow for full damage. It'll only make the slot, at most, one point cheaper, but it's probably appropriate.

I like them both' date=' but the AE slot on the Multipower should (IMO) have an additional Limitation that automatically uses up Charges equal to the number of targets aimed at. I don't care how skilled the archer is, I just can't see him hitting more than one target with the same arrow for full damage. It'll only make the slot, at most, one point cheaper, but it's probably appropriate.[/quote']

You could use an End Reserve for this instead. Just call one arrow X End, and make it so the reserve doesn't recover on its own. Then you can make the AoE part just use up a bunch more End (make it a multiple of X to make things nice). It may not equal exactly one arrow per attack, but it is a nice simple abstraction (and can be dramatized away by the character re-firing some, "misses," that occur because he is rushing things, shooting right through some targets and hitting others because he is such a good archer, etc.).

I like End Reserves for this kind of sharing of resources better than trying to do something odd with Charges. I just converted a D&D monster that uses acid in two ways: its bite does a little bit of acid damage in addition to the physical attack, and it can spit acid (semi-powerful Area of Effect attack) once every six hours. If it spits acid, it can no longer do acid damage with its bite because it has used up its supply.

I gave the monster an End Reserve with a decent Rec. The acid used with its bite (Linked attack) uses up a tiny bit of End. The spit-acid attack uses Long Term End (which I made a -2 Limitation) and uses up the entire End Reserve. I will probably just hand-wave the small amount of End that might be used up by the bite when it wants to spit acid; the important part is that the acid can't be used for the bite after the big attack.

I like them both' date=' but the AE slot on the Multipower should (IMO) have an additional Limitation that automatically uses up Charges equal to the number of targets aimed at. I don't care how skilled the archer is, I just can't see him hitting more than one target with the same arrow for full damage. It'll only make the slot, at most, one point cheaper, but it's probably appropriate.[/quote']

I like your idea but how much of a limitation would this be.

You could use an End Reserve for this instead. Just call one arrow X End, and make it so the reserve doesn't recover on its own. Then you can make the AoE part just use up a bunch more End (make it a multiple of X to make things nice). It may not equal exactly one arrow per attack, but it is a nice simple abstraction (and can be dramatized away by the character re-firing some, "misses," that occur because he is rushing things, shooting right through some targets and hitting others because he is such a good archer, etc.).

I like End Reserves for this kind of sharing of resources better than trying to do something odd with Charges. I just converted a D&D monster that uses acid in two ways: its bite does a little bit of acid damage in addition to the physical attack, and it can spit acid (semi-powerful Area of Effect attack) once every six hours. If it spits acid, it can no longer do acid damage with its bite because it has used up its supply.

I gave the monster an End Reserve with a decent Rec. The acid used with its bite (Linked attack) uses up a tiny bit of End. The spit-acid attack uses Long Term End (which I made a -2 Limitation) and uses up the entire End Reserve. I will probably just hand-wave the small amount of End that might be used up by the bite when it wants to spit acid; the important part is that the acid can't be used for the bite after the big attack.

I like your idea here...I'll try to work it out....

Thank you guys

Do yourself a favor and keep the Autofire as a naked power advantage outside of the multipower. I built my wife's character with a common advantage inside the multipower. The cost of the multipower has really restricted development of the powers greatly. I highly recommend you do that.

Looks fine. Personally I generally build bows as two seperate powers. One as a HKA (or a multipower of different arrow types) and the other as Range for the HKA. Even if someone takes your bow away, you can still stab people with arrows. Granted it works better if the arrows are somehow stronger than normal, since otherwise they are likely to snap, but they still work decently well for at least a stab or two.

And I'm with SS, I'd buy the AF as a naked advantage outside of the MP...assuming of course that it is due to the skill of this particular archer rather than something intrinsic to the weapon.

Skilled Archer

This being Hero...

Cost Power END
23 Skilled Archer: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots 32 Recoverable Charges (+3/4) (52 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u 1) Accurate Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 2) Eye Shot: Sight Group Flash 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 3) Multi-Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 4) Notch Arrow: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u 5) Shot Clothing to Wall: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 6) Shot the Missile Out of the Air: Missile Deflection (Thrown Objects) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 7) Standard Shot: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 8) Trick Shot: Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation (18 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only To Push (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 9) Vitals Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0

I like your idea but how much of a limitation would this be.

The Limitation Requires Multiple Charges can be found in Gadgets & Gears. The value varies depending on the number of Charges needed for that slot and the value of the Charges Limitation on the Multipower. For a 7" cone, I'd suggest 7 Charges (sometimes you'd use more, sometimes you'd use less, and if you use the actual charges used rather than a static number, the value should be a fair one), which would be a -1 1/4 Limitation on that slot.

Re: Skilled Archer

This being Hero...

Cost** Power END
23** Skilled Archer: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots 32 Recoverable Charges (+3/4) (52 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)*
1u** 1) Accurate Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 2) Eye Shot: Sight Group Flash 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 3) Multi-Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 4) Notch Arrow: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)*
1u** 5) Shot Clothing to Wall: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 6) Shot the Missile Out of the Air: Missile Deflection (Thrown Objects) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 7) Standard Shot: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 8) Trick Shot: Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation (18 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only To Push (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0
1u** 9) Vitals Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 0

I love it...however I have one criticism an eye shot should do some body plus flash an enemy...because I'd think a shot to the eye with an arrow has the potential to harm or kill an individual...but I get the whole thing...its more expensive to buy PSLs and a flash than a sight flash power...But GREAT work though.

Do yourself a favor and keep the Autofire as a naked power advantage outside of the multipower. I built my wife's character with a common advantage inside the multipower. The cost of the multipower has really restricted development of the powers greatly. I highly recommend you do that.

If I were to buy a naked power advantage for autofire...would I be able to use it on all the slots for the multipower posted by CourtFool

This being Hero...

Cost Power END
23 Skilled Archer: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots 32 Recoverable Charges (+3/4) (52 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u 1) Accurate Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 2) Eye Shot: Sight Group Flash 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 3) Multi-Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 4) Notch Arrow: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u 5) Shot Clothing to Wall: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 6) Shot the Missile Out of the Air: Missile Deflection (Thrown Objects) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 7) Standard Shot: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 8) Trick Shot: Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation (18 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only To Push (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
1u 9) Vitals Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0

Skilled Archer

I would agree, of course realistically a shot to the eye should do more damage than a standard shot.

It would be easy enough to model a compound power that includes Flash and RKA.

Penalty Skill Levels (PSL) are my favorite way to stat this out. They just make the most sense to me. However, 12 PSLs vs. Hit Location w/Bow only cost 18 points and allows the archer to make called shots without any penalties every time. Who wants to allow that into their game?

I have seen people suggest a maximum of 4 PSLs vs. Hit Location. This seems reasonable since it will allow someone to target the head without penalty against a stunned opponent.

I love it...however I have one criticism an eye shot should do some body plus flash an enemy...because I'd think a shot to the eye with an arrow has the potential to harm or kill an individual...but I get the whole thing...its more expensive to buy PSLs and a flash than a sight flash power...But GREAT work though.

Since we're applying logic, it should also have a huge OCV poenalty since an eye is a pretty small target. -8 for the whole head - maybe -12 or -16 for the eye?

Since we're applying logic' date=' it should also have a huge OCV poenalty since an eye is a pretty small target. -8 for the whole head - maybe -12 or -16 for the eye?[/quote']

Well, if you hit a specific location (e.g. head) you can technically choose which actual place (the specific number, and which side of the body) on that location you hit. It might make sense, though, if you are going to provide additional effects (such as blindness) above and beyond the increased damage due to hitting the head.

If you want to get realistic about it, an eye is on the order of 3 cm^2 in cross-section, and the head is on the order of 300 cm^2. That is approximately 2^7, so if the head is -8, an eye should be -15. That's a tough shot! :)