How much use ist the Ultimate Martial Artist for aFantasy/SF/Cyberpunk Campaign?

Re: How much use ist the Ultimate Martial Artist for aFantasy/SF/Cyberpunk Campaign?

Everyone should have the Ultimate Martial Artist. It is directly applicable to most any genre, and indirectly to all the rest.

For a strictly historical European game, there are four schools of fencing, a knightly art dealing with heavy smashing/hacking weapons, and a couple of knife forms.

There are a couple of alien forms, too, for SF games, as well as a zero-G form. And of course, all the modern type arts can be used in a future game as well.

Don't wait any longer. Get it now.

Re: How much use ist the Ultimate Martial Artist for aFantasy/SF/Cyberpunk Campaign?

Also quite useful for creating original MA styles. This can give a lot of flavor to FH and SF worlds. I especially like to use it for monsters and alien species that have significantly non-human physiology. Think about it: wouldn't a race with four arms fight differently than humans? What about centaurs? snake-men with extremely flexible torsos? etc.

Re: How much use is the UMA for a Fantasy/SF/Cyberpunk Campaign?

The Header says it. How useful is it?

Well I, like some others, think it's darn near essential. But I like martial arts. A lot. And I think there's a useful place for them in pretty much any heroic-level game. (Superhuman-level games often have other qualities that can serve as a replacement for martial arts, or one of the styles listed in reFREd can be used)

As mentioned previously, there are several useful styles for "historical European"-esque Fantasy settings. If you pull a little further away from the norm, there are a number of Eastern styles suitable for adapting (or even using as-is) to various cultures (Elven, Halfling, Goblinoid, my Cat and Rabbit races, etc.). And if there is nothing to fill the need you have - and I have a hard time believing you won't find something that can fill your need, even if you have to tweak it a bit - there is a wonderful maneuver creation section.

Again, as mentioned previously, there are many uses for martial art styles in a SF campaign. From styles suited to 0G to Imperial Marines Commando styles, from Esper Tai Chi to new alien techniques, there's always a good reason to have martial arts in your game.

If I have to explain why a new and nifty-looking way to kick butt is good for a Cyberpunk campaign, you aren't thinking this through. :D All those eastern styles... all the neat ways to use dedicated cybersystems to enhance your fighting skillz... nifty new toys to fight with... the dark future is a good time to be kicking butt.