The Hero curse

Kyle A.

Re: The Hero curse

Mostly I tend to deconstruct fight scenes.

"OK, he's recovering from being stunned"

"That's a half move and grab"

"Hmm, He has a point or two of speed over his opponent"

"OK, that's a block, followed by a cover. But he did it before the other guy moved, so he must have been holding otherwise he would have blown his next phase with the abort..."

Keith "At least I don't do it out LOUD. In the theater." Curtis

I have done that out loud at the theater.... :hush:

Actually, I think I have one of the most severe cases of this curse. I don't only do this when watching a movie or TV or reading a book. I do this when watching the news or just walking down the street or even just hanging out in my apartment. My girlfriend will lose something and I'll remark about my higher PER Roll when I just look over and find it. I'll ocassionally remind everyone that my Claustrophobia is only Moderate and not Strong, so I don't have to make an EGO Roll to run screaming from the hallway. I'll be on the free way, have some [explitive deleted] swerve through three lanes of traffic to make the offramp and almost paste a motorcycle in the process and say "He doesn't have Combat Driving, he has 2d6 of Luck, a guy with Combat Driving would have realized that was STUPID!"

Yes, I suffer from the Curse as well.

Opening scene in Equilibrium, when the Cleric Preston slides into the dark room, I found myself thinking "AOE non selective autofire, no range personal immunity"

I am damned.

That was just Eidetic Memory, and a good Hearing PER Roll (or possibly Targeting Hearing) with a normal Autofire weapon. And +X DCV, Invisible Power Effects (just stands where the bullets aren't).

That was just Eidetic Memory' date=' and a good Hearing PER Roll (or possibly Targeting Hearing) with a normal Autofire weapon. And +X DCV, Invisible Power Effects (just stands where the bullets aren't).[/quote']

OK.... admission time...

My AOE seclective thing mentioned above actually popped into my head in the second veiwing of the movie, not the first...

it came about after they explained the weird rubber science for the gun katas that allowed prediction of possible target locations and incoming fire based on statistcal analysis of all potential combat situations, and thus implied that they way they worked was not interdependent on actual target acuisition but rather target prediction.

Hence the AOE construct... if one "buys into" the veracity of the Gun Katas, then one wouldn't need to see the anticipated targets in order to hit them.

Its building to fit the in-movie philosophy rather than building to simply explain the effects.

OK.... admission time...

My AOE seclective thing mentioned above actually popped into my head in the second veiwing of the movie, not the first...

it came about after they explained the weird rubber science for the gun katas that allowed prediction of possible target locations and incoming fire based on statistcal analysis of all potential combat situations, and thus implied that they way they worked was not interdependent on actual target acuisition but rather target prediction.

Hence the AOE construct... if one "buys into" the veracity of the Gun Katas, then one wouldn't need to see the anticipated targets in order to hit them.

Its building to fit the in-movie philosophy rather than building to simply explain the effects.

Mmm... True, but non-selective would mean he's likely to miss everybody when he shoots (still has to make an attack roll). I'd be willing to write it off a Spacial Awareness, 360 degrees with RSR: KS Gun Kata and lots of CSLs.

Mmm... True' date=' but non-selective would mean he's likely to miss everybody when he shoots (still has to make an attack roll). I'd be willing to write it off a Spacial Awareness, 360 degrees with RSR: KS Gun Kata and lots of CSLs.[/quote']

I kinda figured his 4 bazillion CSL's would let him pretty much hit anybody in the AOE, especially as they'd be at reduced DCV for the darkness. I'm not sure about the spatial awareness... it could be the right way to go depending on SFX... I'd have to take another look at combat sence as well. I don't really see it as a targeting sence from the description as much as a form of training that allows for ignoring penalties...perhaps PSL's?

In any case...

I think that the whole discussion proves the theory that we both have the Curse :D

I think that most RP Games go though that aspect of behavior...especially the RP Gamers that are primarily GMs.

True, but when you play Hero System, you do it with EVERYTHING! The only thing D&D lets you do is say "No, Legolas if a fighter with all thos Feats and Gandalf is a Sorcerer with a few levels of fighter." Same thing with most other games, and some not at all (I don't see any WoD players stating out the characters from Underworld).

Guest Black Lotus

Meh, I have to hand it to HERO for being the most susceptible. After all, you can build anyone or anything with HERO, whereas, with other systems, everyone is either a Wizard, Barbarian, Expert, Fighter, or Bard. And NOTHING ELSE! NOTHING! J00 MUST BUY MORE BOOKS FOR KEWL CLASSES HAHAHAHA!

*ahem* So, yeah. A little potshot at D&D there, but you get my meaning. I can translate all of The Matrix into HERO terms, whereas I really can't do that even with Shadowrun or Cyberpunk2020.

Has anyone else expeirienced this? After I got and read FRED I noticed that when I watched a TV show or a movie' date=' I'd be unconciously building the characters, vehicles, monsters, in my head. I watched X-2 for example and found my self building the power Prof. X used to freeze the humans at the mueseum.[/quote']

Only for the last 20+ years...

:D