The Hero curse

Kyle A.

Has anyone else expeirienced this? After I got and read FRED I noticed that when I watched a TV show or a movie, I'd be unconciously building the characters, vehicles, monsters, in my head. I watched X-2 for example and found my self building the power Prof. X used to freeze the humans at the mueseum.

Re: The Hero curse

I find myself doing HERO constructs for basic things. Since we've had official writeups for watches, coffee cups and towels, I find myself doing constructs of things around me all the time.

Fan - Change Environment, Cone, OAF Bulky

Book - Cramming, Activation Roll, OAF

Flag - +5 PRE, OAF, Only In Nationalism-Related Activities

Consider yourself fortunate; you have only a mild form of the Curse of Hero. More severe cases mean that whenever you watch an action movie or read an adventure book or comic, you think to yourself "My character could do this better" or "My character could take him."

I wonder how many superheroes were imaginally inserted into "Revenge of the Sith"? ("MegaMan could kick Palpatine's scrawny ass!") :winkgrin:

I wonder how many superheroes were imaginally inserted into "Revenge of the Sith"? ("MegaMan could kick Palpatine's scrawny ass!")

Actually, I have been mentally placing my favorite character aboard Serenity. I want him to be with Anara, but he seems to fit better with River.

Remember the disney cartoon Aladdin? With Abu the little monkey. There was this one episode where he got all kung fu. I grabbed a piece of paper and proceeded to build Abu, Ninja Monkey.

Its a sickness that no antibiotics can cure.

Another common symptom of the Hero Curse, is when all other game systems start looking like cr@p to you. I swear, I could never run another d20 campaign... not for all the tea in China.

... the power-ramping of the feats and prestege classes?...

[gags] :idjit:

...level based characters with totally unbalanced classes?...

[pukes in waste-paper basket next to computer] :sick:

... no, it's HERO or nothing, for me. :thumbup:

Guest Black Lotus

I'm the same as Mister E concerning falling back to d20 after HERO... not going to happen.

As for creating powers to fit what I see in the movies and on TV, I only really do it when something catches my eye. For example, there was some sci-fi movie the other day with a "see people's heat signatures through walls and obstacles" device, and it looked sweet, so I started making stats for it.

Not only do I think of power write-ups, but my friends and I speak in gamer code when we see a movie.

"Aw! They all missed an easy PER roll just then!"

"She must've bought up her Stealth."

"He's got KS: Obscure Medical Trivia."

"Man, that must've been 3d6 RKA with Double Knockback!"

:bounce:

Bill.

Mostly I tend to deconstruct fight scenes.

"OK, he's recovering from being stunned"

"That's a half move and grab"

"Hmm, He has a point or two of speed over his opponent"

"OK, that's a block, followed by a cover. But he did it before the other guy moved, so he must have been holding otherwise he would have blown his next phase with the abort..."

Keith "At least I don't do it out LOUD. In the theater." Curtis

I have it slightly. but a friend of mine, wow.

if he's at a movie with another hero gamer, he can't shut up:

"That's at least 4O STR."

"looks impressive but it only 2 dice Killing, its the stun multi that gets ya"

"that's just a PRE attack"

:help:

I used to work for a bank. After dealing with account numbers (for credit unions) I'd go home at night and lay in bed and the numbers for all the customers would roll through my head while I'm trying to sleep. So as a champions player/GM who was constantly deconstructing powers and disadvantages, I assumed it was just my own quirkiness and something about the way my brain worked.

That is until I came to this here support group--er, I mean, board... 2 or 3 years ago. Now I know that I may not be normal, but I'm certainly not alone!

I am down with the sickness, and when I've statted out the hero and villan, and they do something obviously not consistent with their previously-established abilities/powers limits, I get MAD! "Hey, Capt. Wonderful could barely hold up that car 20 minutes ago, and now he is going toe to toe with Mr. Goliath? Mr. Goliath JUGGLES cars!" So not only do I stat em out, but I get mad when my stats or their continuity is wrong!

These mental exercises are awesome, really, because they make you much better at statting on the fly, and also better to help someone throw together a character faster.

Has anyone else expeirienced this? After I got and read FRED I noticed that when I watched a TV show or a movie' date=' I'd be unconciously building the characters, vehicles, monsters, in my head. I watched X-2 for example and found my self building the power Prof. X used to freeze the humans at the mueseum.[/quote']

Considering my limited understanding of the rules, it's bizarre of me to do it, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Josh and I were watching the classic version of Flight of the Pheonix last night, and we watch Jimmy Stewart stare down the German guy's temper tantrum. And "Successful presence attack," just comes popping out of my mouth. No idea where it came from, but there it was.

Josh didn't comment. Either he was choked up with pride about how far I've come, or too ashamed of how geeky I've gotten since he met me.

Speaking my character can do better than that. I introduced my wife to gaming about three agos. About a year ago I started running Champions. I noticed since Champions was introduced, every action movie we watch I notice her saying, "my character can do better"

Behold, the curse can be past on to loved ones. I feel like I am watching the birth of a gamer sometimes.