Must a Throw actually put the target physically Prone?

Trebuchet

I'm looking for a way to simulate the classic "thrown knife pins sleeve to wall and thus hinders adversary," and it occured to me that this might be simulated with a ranged martial maneuver similar to Trip, but one which doesn't actually knock down the opponent. All it does is hinder his movement and reduce his DCV until he "gets up" (pulls his sleeve clear) with a half-Phase action. Of course, it would require a suitable surface to stick the knife or arrow in.

Thoughts?

Re: Must a Throw actually put the target physically Prone?

I'm looking for a way to simulate the classic "thrown knife pins sleeve to wall and thus hinders adversary," and it occured to me that this might be simulated with a ranged martial maneuver similar to Trip, but one which doesn't actually knock down the opponent. All it does is hinder his movement and reduce his DCV until he "gets up" (pulls his sleeve clear) with a half-Phase action. Of course, it would require a suitable surface to stick the knife or arrow in.

Thoughts?

Why not? The system is all about the game mechanics and not the SFX, after all. One SFX is that the character is lying on the ground, and one is that he is restricted in some other fashion. Both halve DCV, and both require a Half-Phase to counter. There might be minor differences (like not being able to use Foci or move), though. Look out for those, I guess.

Of course, as described the Power actually sounds more like a Limited Entangle, but why bother if you don't want the character to have to pay for the Power (separately).

Why not? The system is all about the game mechanics and not the SFX, after all. One SFX is that the character is lying on the ground, and one is that he is restricted in some other fashion. Both halve DCV, and both require a Half-Phase to counter. There might be minor differences (like not being able to use Foci or move), though. Look out for those, I guess.

Of course, as described the Power actually sounds more like a Limited Entangle, but why bother if you don't want the character to have to pay for the Power (separately).

Since the character I'm looking to use this for is a pulp-era martial artist, I'm trying to represent it with a martial maneuver rather than a Power. But unlike Trip, I don't want it doing damage to the target.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, unless the GM objects. Sounds like an excellent application of the "special effects" principle. In this case, being "prone" just happens to look like being stuck to a wall. :hex:

Seems perfectly reasonable to me' date=' unless the GM objects. Sounds like an excellent application of the "special effects" principle. In this case, being "prone" just happens to look like being stuck to a wall. :hex:[/quote']Ah, words of wisdom from our learned Master of Hero Fu! Hard to get higher level sanction for my idea than that! :D

(It would still, of course, require the necessary WF (Thrown knives) to be used.)

Seems perfectly reasonable to me' date=' unless the GM objects. Sounds like an excellent application of the "special effects" principle. In this case, being "prone" just happens to look like being stuck to a wall. :hex:[/quote']

This is what I was thinking. At least for the most part. There is a difference between pinned to a wall and being prone. For one, the guy pinned casn't just stand up to remove his penalties... he's pinned!

In anything other than a Heroic level or really low powered Superheroic level campaign, I might rule that something like this is a Power (personally, I've never seen or even heard of anyone being pinned by an arrow or thrown knife like this outside of an action flim), and must be bought using Entangle. For most Heroic level games, I might say it's an optional SFX for a Trip using ranged martial arts, and like Bouncing, the attack must use a CSL for the attack to succussfully pin the target. The attacker would still roll for Damage, and must do enough BODY to penetrate the DEF of the wall, but not do more BODY than the wall has. The target must also have appropriately loose clothing that isn't armored or offers any kind of protection. The target can automatically unpin himself by yanking the knife or arrow out (by rolling enough BODY to match the BODY done to the wall, not counting the DEF), or by ripping his clothing (doing normal damage).