Cybernetics

Brawler

I am very curious as to how to simulate a person with a cybernetic limb. Specifically, should the limb have separate BODY and DEF? I mean, damage to a cybernetic limb wouldn't cause bleeding or STUN, and also wouldn't recover BODY unless repaired. Thoughts?

Re: Cybernetics

Well, it's a special effect, IMO. So I'm not sure I'd worry about it for my game... But that's unhelpful. :D So...

If you're playing a Hero game which doesn't use hit location, you could simulate potential hits to the arm by buying defenses with a low activation roll. There could also be some sort of conditional limitations on the arm, such as: powers associated with it acquire an activation after the cyborg has taken some percent of total body. (My thinking that it somewhat reflects overall damage suffered including to the cybernetic.) Or something to that effect...

Actually why not buy it as an Obvious Inaccessible focus? Foci have def and body, so someone could theoretically damage it...

Any of those get the ole idea mill moving? :)

Take care,

Derek

Thanks for the reply. I don't like the Focus idea, since it is not removable with a Grab, but I do like the idea of using Limitations. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I don't think there are any easy rules solutions. I'll probably go with Limitations and a lot of flavor text.

If anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know.

If you have access to the full Fifth Edition rulebook, I'd suggest taking a look at the description of the Limitation, "Restrainable." It includes a fairly detailed breakdown of an optional -1/4 version of Restrainable specifically and explicitly applicable to cyberware.

I'd say it does depend on the style and genre of game your going for.... I've done it either with Inaccessable Foci, for exactly the above mentioned reasons, or a custom limit, basically the _1/2 version of restrainable, with the caveat that its not restrainable by a grab, but by "difficult measures" as with all cybernetics (same as the -1/4 restrainable) AND by damage, with the Focus rules used to determine the damage potential.

Generally, I think that the focus rules work rather well for this...most of the Cyber genre stuff involves limbs being removeable with a bit of effort...just like modern prosthetics, the can be unjacked from their stumps for replacement, maintainace and the like. This sounds like an inacessable focus to me.

Another thought for characters with a significant amount of cyberware...

Allow them to take the Automaton power "takes no Stun" usually at the 45 point level, with the limited coverage limitation (or activation roll, if you're not using hit locations)

Guest Black Lotus

Also, there are conversions of Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun floating around out here on the message boards that you might find of interest. Each lists a goodly amount of cyberware.

Here's a link to the Shadowrun conversion:

Shadowrun HERO

Re: CyberneticsI haven't seen much in the way of cybernetics in my games, but the one character I can think of has a bionic arm and leg, and some implants. Here's his writeup:

Kristian Rolyat

(Click to toggle display)

Character created with Hero Designer, version 2.42

Player: Dust Raven
Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
18/24 DEX 24
15 CON 10
14 BODY 8
18 INT 8
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
16 COM 3

7/10 PD 3
7/10 ED 4
3/6 SPD 2
7 REC 0
30 END 0
30 STUN -2

6" RUN 0
2" SWIM 0
4" LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 86
Cost Power END
15 Laser Pistol: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0); all slots OAF (-1), STR Minimum (6; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)
1u
1) Kill: RKA 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (6; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)
1u
2) Stun: EB 9d6, STUN Only (+0); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (6; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)
3 Leather Jacket: Armor (3 PD/3 ED); Long Jacket with Sleeves, Boots (Protects Locations 7-18; -3/4), OIF (-1/2), Half Mass (2.65 kg; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
8 Speedware: +6 DEX; 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
17 Speedware: +3 SPD; 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4)
8 Armored Cyberlimbs: Armor (6 PD/6 ED); Right Arm/Hand & Leg/Foot (Protects Locations 4-9 & 14-18 on right side; -1 1/4) 0
3 Anti-Dazzle (optics): Sight Group Flash Defense (3 points) 0
3 Teleoptic (optics): +2 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group 0
5 LowLite (optics): Nightvision 0
10 Radio Link/Wearman (audio): HRRP (Radio Group); Affected As Hearing Group (-1/4) 0
3 Sound Editing (audio): Hearing Group Flash Defense (3 points) 0
4 Concealed Spring Holster: +2 with Fast Draw
8 Concealed Spring Holster: +4 with Concealment, Only To Conceal Items Inside The Compartment (+0)
Powers Cost: 89
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Kickboxing
4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Elbow/Knee Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6 +1
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Low Kick: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 Strike
4 Punch/Elbow, High Kick: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 Strike
5 Roundhouse Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 28
Cost Skill
0 AK: U.S.A. 8-
3 Acrobatics 13- (14-)
0 Acting 8-
3 Breakfall 13- (14-)
2 CK: Millennium City 11-
0 Climbing 8-
3 Combat Driving 13- (14-)
3 Concealment 13-
0 Conversation 8-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Fast Draw 13- (14-)
1 KS: Kickboxing 8-
0 Language: English (idiomatic)
3 Lockpicking 13- (14-)
3 PS: Keyboardist 13- (14-)
0 PS: Musician 11-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 13- (14-)
3 Streetwise 13-
2 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Grav Vehicles/Hovercraft, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
2 WF: Small Arms, Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat
Skills Cost: 49
Cost Perk
2 Contact: Ben Toshiro (RTI technician) (Good relationship with Contact) 8-
Perks Cost: 2
Cost Talent
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Perfect Pitch
Talents Cost: 8
Val Disadvantages
20 Hunted: RTI 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)
10 Physical Limitation: Cyberlimbs Require Specialized Maintenance (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
10 Psychological Limitation: Distrusts Authority (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Very Common, Moderate)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY from Magnetic/Electrical Attacks (Common)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN from Magnetic/Electrical Attacks (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 14Experience Unspent: 14Total Character Cost: 262

Height: 6' 1" Hair: Black
Weight: 269 lbs Eyes: Blue
Appearance: An attractive man with an athletic build, pale skin and sky blue eyes. His wavy, black hair falls past his shoulders in gentle curls. An emerald stud earring is in his left ear. Usually dresses in tee-shirts and jeans with heavy black leather boots and longcoat.
Personality: 
Quote:
Background: 
Powers/Tactics: 
Campaign Use: 

Also' date=' there are conversions of [i']Cyberpunk 2020[/i] and Shadowrun floating around out here on the message boards that you might find of interest. Each lists a goodly amount of cyberware.

Here's a link to the Shadowrun conversion:

Shadowrun HERO

Good idea - might as well let Brawler peruse the full range of what's available. Here's the link to the Cyberpunk 2020 cyberware conversion files.

You could also read this excerpt from Michael Surbrook's excellent Kazei Five anime cyberpunk sourcebook discussing cyborgs and cybernetics. BTW I highly recommend K5 for your HERO cyberpunk gaming. It's available as a PDF from Hero Games's Online Store.