Killing attacks, Martial Arts and Weapon Elements.

starblaze

Ok, lets say I have a character with a 15 STR and a 1d6 HKA knife. So this means he has effectively a 2d6 HKA with the str add. Now let's say that he next gets the martial art manuever Killing Strike that has a the Weapons Element: Knives.

Does he get a 2 1/2 d6 killing attack if he uses that manuever with his knife?

Re: Killing attacks, Martial Arts and Weapon Elements.

No, the knife caps out at 2d6 because of the rules for adding damage classes.

Also, I am pretty certain that MA KA specifically /cannot/ be used with a Weapon Element, though I could be wrong.

Regardless, if he was using a maneuver that added 6 DC, then the advantage versus using his strength would simply be that he wasn't spending any extra END than he would for the 1d6.

As Tywill said, damage caps out at 2d6, regardless. Even if it did go above (say, you're using a 2d6 greatsword, or you have deadly blow), the 2DC boost from the killing attack martial maneuver still only adds one DC. Use martial strike instead.

(At least, I'm sure that's how it stood in 5E - I don't have my 5ER on me, so I can't check the damage adding section in there. If you can find it, though, it lays out virtually every possible combination of STR/damage classes/weapons that you can imagine. It certainly answered all my questions.)

Now, if I remember, 4E damage classes (the 4-point levels for martial arts) added to base damage for weapons, not just for the 'killing strike' maneuver. At least, that's how we played it. Even now, some GMs aren't averse to using that ruling, as it gives a way for the damage cap to rise without bringing in deadly blow.

Ok, lets say I have a character with a 15 STR and a 1d6 HKA knife. So this means he has effectively a 2d6 HKA with the str add. Now let's say that he next gets the martial art manuever Killing Strike that has a the Weapons Element: Knives.

Does he get a 2 1/2 d6 killing attack if he uses that manuever with his knife?

I don't believe so; I think the only thing Killing Strike stacks with is Extra DCs. But you can always use something like Offensive Strike, or a Martial or Fast Strike with 2 Extra DCs, which would stack with any other maneuvers you bought.

Or, see if your GM will allow you to go with the Deadly Blow; cost isn't too bad, and it stacks "officially", so you're all good.

However, if you are using a heroic level campaign and the knife has a STR min...you would only count the STR above the min. So the extra dice MIGHT actually bring you up to the max.

IIRC, extra DCs bought for an entire Martial Art form add to base damage. This is all in the FAQs somewhere, so we could look it up. I'm too lazy at the moment.

EDIT: Or if they don't add to base damage, I seem to recall them at least being able to surpass the doubling rule.

IIRC, extra DCs bought for an entire Martial Art form add to base damage. This is all in the FAQs somewhere, so we could look it up. I'm too lazy at the moment.

EDIT: Or if they don't add to base damage, I seem to recall them at least being able to surpass the doubling rule.

That is an optional rule and it is suggested only for MA focused campaigns.