An Open Call to Action

zornwil

Re: An Open Call to Action

Hello. I've been spending a year dead for tax purposes so I haven't been around much lately.

I like the idea. Nuff said.

I am somewhat concerned that we are up to page 5 and the only things we've mentioned are that we would like an exponential v linear agrument and can we keep 3d6.

Maybe there's stuff going on in email...

OK. Couple of thoughts.

1. Hero is a toolkit. I quite like that idea and do not think it has been exploited enough. If you decide to go with linear OR with exponential, you alienate half the masses. If you develop systems for both (assuming you can do that and still have recognisably similar games) then you include everyone and enhance the toolkit. The same applies with almost all '-v-' arguments. Do both. Make them intergrateable alternatives.

2. This is a munchkin charter. I say: so what? If people want to munchkin and enjoy it, fine. They'll find a like minded group, or they won't, and if they don't they change their style or do a lot of solo play. Let's not worry about the rules being abused in some seedy little motel off the interstate. They are big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves. Mind you, no need to be silly about it, eh?

3. Hero is a system that strives for balance. Never going to happen, attaining balance, but the striving, I think that is a good idea. We should, as far as possible, strive to keep any amendments and new rules consistent with existing rules and powers. We should strive to attain what balance we can in any new system.

4. Stuff I'd like to see addressed:

Movement powers

Sense effecting powers

3d6 High/Low

Character generation systems

Exponential v Linear

Vehicles

......oh the list goes on. Maybe we should pick one, debate a bit then pick the bones out of what is left. We then see how many different ideas we have, and build alternative rules systems for each concept with the overriding principle it has to integrate with the core system.

5. That's a point: maybe we should first decide what the core system is.

6. In the spirit of keeping everyone happy, can I mention the Hero System Almanack series (I think it was). New alternative non-core rules and ideas, often based on the best of Digital Hero or Adventurers Club as was. Those hungry for new rules buy the books and use them. Those happy with the core system don't. Unofficial rules get play tested and debated and when you have a new edition (in 10 years) stuff is included that has survived the test of time. More revenue without too much effort and rules junkies and conservatives both happy.

7. Can we agree that anyone contributing waives copyright. We actively want DOJ to incorporate this stuff, and we don't want to place barriers in the way of doing it.

OK, shutting up now.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic