An Open Call to Action

zornwil

Re: An Open Call to Action

Boy, you sure have such low aspirations sometimes Zornwil. :winkgrin:

I would be happy to participate in what ways I can. I see the quest for the 'axiomic Hero' as a never ending quest. However, I have a different tactic to take on many of the same issues that this thread was intended to address. Has anyone considered creating a guide (more developed than the brief chapters of any 5th ed book) to help potential GM's run through a checklist of potential effects of any particular use of a house-rule (tone, realism, quick vs. detailed, etc...)?

I know this is a topic usually reserved for the particular genre books but it might be worth the attempt to seperate 'house-rules' from actual 'genre-rules'. The attempt might help us develop better language on how to discuss such topics without causing so much confussion about whether we are talking about 'core-5ER/axiomic rules' vs. 'custom-rules'. This might just be a good topic for discussion in the format proposed by Zornwil but it might also be worthy of publication as a sort of 'Hero-GM Guide'!?

Anyway, just thinking off the top of my head. And thanks for the note on this thread Zornwil

HM

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting ideas, Hyper-man. I think I said somewhere above, priorities will need to be established! I think re axioms/core values, it's one of those things where ultimately one draws a line in the sand and creates a "working model" that is admittedly never 100% complete. Send me your email address, either via PM or the boards' email, and I'll add you to the great list of interested parties and get back to you shortly, as the list settles.

Do you allow lurkers in your E-mail group? I would love to be involved but I am new to HERO and even then it has been solely RDU 4.5 Hero. So I wouldn't want to sully the discussion with a poorly informed position.

However, gaming based intelectual discussions are great reads. Plus it gives Neil and I something more to discuss around the table.

Do you allow lurkers in your E-mail group? I would love to be involved but I am new to HERO and even then it has been solely RDU 4.5 Hero. So I wouldn't want to sully the discussion with a poorly informed position.

However, gaming based intelectual discussions are great reads. Plus it gives Neil and I something more to discuss around the table.

On this I feel I should ask others first, get a group consensus, not just dictate that. Would you please send me your email address so we can keep in touch (PM or via board e-mail)?

More power to ya Zornwil! :rockon:

I think that it is a worthy project; good luck to you and the team! :cheers:

My Request: please look into the whole "Exponential vs Linear" thing. If there is one area where I think that the system could be improved, it is by removing the inconsistancies which pop up along those lines.

My Request: please look into the whole "Exponential vs Linear" thing. If there is one area where I think that the system could be improved' date=' it is by removing the inconsistancies which pop up along those lines.[/quote']

If we're making wish lists, I'd add the 2x progress every 5 pts.

Way too steep, it's hurt the game in so many ways that I've lost count.

To both Warp9 and Fox1 - I can imagine what you each mean, but please feel free to email or however you wish communicate the core issues you see and that way maybe we can see if it makes sense to address, has priority, etc.. Bear in mind we'll spend some initial time agreeing to all the basics from what is core to the system that we wish to "obey"/use as axiomatic and ground rules, so I hope nobody expects fast action. Also, naturally, I can't even imagine which things end up getting greater priority. Me, I'm partial to really fixing Adjustment Powers/PowDef/the SFX/power relationships there, cleaning all that up. But there may be other fish to fry. I'm sympathetic to the scaling issues, too, though I don't know how much my own opinion as to the issues relates to you (another reason it'd be great to get a problem statement from either/both of you).

Anyway, good suggestions, regardless of my thoughts on those!

If we're making wish lists, I'd add the 2x progress every 5 pts.

Way too steep, it's hurt the game in so many ways that I've lost count.

IMO the 2^(POINTS/5) thing is part of the larger exponential issue.

To me it is a quesiton of, should you use exponential, or linear scale? And if the game is to use an exponential scale, what should it be based on?

To both Warp9 and Fox1 - I can imagine what you each mean, but please feel free to email or however you wish communicate the core issues you see and that way maybe we can see if it makes sense to address, has priority, etc.. Bear in mind we'll spend some initial time agreeing to all the basics from what is core to the system that we wish to "obey"/use as axiomatic and ground rules, so I hope nobody expects fast action. Also, naturally, I can't even imagine which things end up getting greater priority. Me, I'm partial to really fixing Adjustment Powers/PowDef/the SFX/power relationships there, cleaning all that up. But there may be other fish to fry. I'm sympathetic to the scaling issues, too, though I don't know how much my own opinion as to the issues relates to you (another reason it'd be great to get a problem statement from either/both of you).

Anyway, good suggestions, regardless of my thoughts on those!

I'll see that you get something from me along those lines :yes:

please feel free to email or however you wish communicate the core issues you see and that way maybe we can see if it makes sense to address' date=' has priority, etc..[/quote']

I'll start a thread on the "Exponential vs Linear" matter, it would be something I'd like to discuss anyway.

My first 2 posts on that thread will pretty much cover my initial views and concerns.

Guest Black Lotus

I'm already excited to see how this "Clean-Up Committee" is going to work out. Streamlining the rough points of the game is a great goal, and potentially very helpful to everyone on the boards.

I'll start a thread on the "Exponential vs Linear" matter, it would be something I'd like to discuss anyway.

My first 2 posts on that thread will pretty much cover my initial views and concerns.

Cool, I'll look forward to reading it. I think I know more or less what you'll say, at least in general I mean, but I wouldn't want to presume. I just think I know largely because there was some discussion on it before, but I think it was a tangent in a thread as opposed to a main topic.

I'm looking foreward to your analysis as well. As might be guessed by some of my comments in other threads, I'm a great vehicle lover, and addressing additional optional rules for vehicles that will scale well together is one of my long term goals. As any such ideas will have to confront the exponential vs. linear anyway, I'd love to see an organized take on the subject.

This sounds interesting, I think I'd also like to lurk. I doubt I'd have any ideas right off the bat. I'd kinda like to see what develops.

Warning: I'm an old fart. Third edition was perfect. Thank you.

Heh, I sympathize re 3rd - I still run -1/3" in my games (so does lemming).

Let me check on how everyone feels about lurkers and get back to you - please PM or email me your email address.

Darn..........wasn't going to say "yes"...but...(sigh)...count me in.

Might have a suggestion (hopefully good) on one or two things.

So...when can we "talk"? Just PM or E-Mail me (You can do that from my Public Profile). Don't know if I'll have much constructive to add...but I'll give my 2 cents worth and we can work from there.

Nadrakas...

Darn..........wasn't going to say "yes"...but...(sigh)...count me in.

Might have a suggestion (hopefully good) on one or two things.

So...when can we "talk"? Just PM or E-Mail me (You can do that from my Public Profile). Don't know if I'll have much constructive to add...but I'll give my 2 cents worth and we can work from there.

Nadrakas...

I'll PM you and give you my email address, please email me back with yours. I'm building the list of all those interested and will distribute something this weekend, just giving some time for people to sign up, let the initial dust settle. Basically I'll propose some next steps. I agree we need to chat or such for sure.

I'll PM you and give you my email address' date=' please email me back with yours. I'm building the list of all those interested and will distribute something this weekend, just giving some time for people to sign up, let the initial dust settle. Basically I'll propose some next steps. I agree we need to chat or such for sure.[/quote']

E-Mail has been sent.

Nadrakas...

I'm not sure how much I'd get out of this.

I see a lot of proposed changes on the Hero boards that I wouldn't agree with, and a lot of the changes that have been made by DoJ in 5th and 5thRev haven't been to my liking. HERO seems to be moving in a direction I'm not happy with.

I can't believe Hero players are arguing about whether they would want to be involved in this. Surely Hero is the ultimate tinkerers system and played by the ultimate tinkerers. And surely this is the ultimate tinker! :)

Course I'm interested. Course I want to discuss it - that's why I come to these boards - I see this as a Mega-thread rather than some subversive group out to change Hero from under the feet of loyal fans.

DOJ and any other rpg producer has a problem in that they need to keep selling books but rpgs allow you to continue playing a game with just imagination and the first core books they ever printed.

I can see (with electronic publishing becoming more and more viable) companies having many versions of their rules that would be 'in print' at the same time allowing people to play the version they want to play. If you love 3rd edition they'd have third edition available for your group to purchase. If it was 5th then you could go for that.

Just as obviously supplements would be designed with a particular edition in mind and there might possibly be conversion notes available.

I would hope that DOJ read this with the same interest they read everything else. If the group had good ideas that they shared opely and DOJ used them in a future edition - then that'd be cool. If they never did then that'd be fine too - I'd have had a blast discussing one of my favourite systems with a number of other people equally as interested. I might even learn some stuff.

As I've pointed out in the past I think that an ultimate book with a range of 'house rule' options would be a must buy for me. Things that changed basic concepts and explained the effects that these changes would have on game play would be the core content of such a book. This project would be a good source of material for such a book. How could I not be interested - how could any Hero fan not be interested in discussing the basics of the system and looking at the effects of changing those basics?

Doc

Doc

Well, one thing I can see is a lot of people feeling like they really aren't interested in the tinkering and rules minutiae. I definitely respect that. Though it would be great to have some people who care about doing nothing more than playtesting, too.

Well' date=' one thing I can see is a lot of people feeling like they really aren't interested in the tinkering and rules minutiae. I definitely respect that. Though it would be great to have some people who care about doing nothing more than playtesting, too.[/quote']

I wouldn't worry about the playtesting part. Once a set of rules that need to be tested, they'll be plenty of people that would be wiling to try them out.

- Chrisotpher Mullins

I've sent a letter to all those who I believe expressed interest and sent me their email addresses, aside from a couple people who only wished to lurk, in which case as indicated to them I wanted to discuss that notion with the group first.

If you did not receive a letter, that means I did not receive your email address or I simply screwed up. So be sure to PM me or email me via the boards in that case. I sent the note yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.