Conversion Cyberpunk to Hero

Dr Divago

a.k.a. CybHerOpunk :)

Hello again, i'm tryng to convert CP2020 genre in Hero rules; i'me usign DC so i've thinked this is right place.

I've a question about a weapon:

i'm using the "no multipower" rule for firearms (guns are build like single power, no-multipower, and "variable ammo" is only an advantage from "Real Weapon"), but insome case i must use multipower (rifle-GL combos, Laser builded with a 11mm, ecc.)

I'm converting Cyborg Assault, a massive firearm for "cyberpsychotic retirement". In Interlock rule, this baby can fire 13mm High Explosive (wich ignore armor and does half damage like stun damage) or Acid Round wich "burn" armor

In Hero my idea is to convert HE in Normal Damage with NND and Does Body, and Acid in Suppress Armor (or Dispel...)

this how look like:

Cyborg Assault anti-cyb rifle: multipower reserve 90 points; charges (8, clip; -½), Limited (ammo composition in clip must be chosen when clip are charged into; -¼), OAF (-1), Beam (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼), Two Handed (-½), STR Min (5; -¾), STR Min does not add damage (-½)

2u

1)High Explosive ammo: EB 6d6, NND (defense is a rigid armor; +1), Does BODY (+1); charges (8, clip; -½), limited (ammo composition in clip must be chosen when clip are charged into; -¼), OAF (-1), Beam (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼), Two Handed (-½), STR Min (5; -¾), STR Min does not add damage (-½), Cannot be Bounced (-¼) [90 AcP]

1u

2) Anti Armor ammo: Suppress Armor 5d6;Stocky (+½); charges (8, clip; -½), limited (ammo composition in clip must be chosen when clip are charged into; -¼), OAF (-1), Beam (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼), Two Handed (-½), STR Min (5; -¾), STR Min does not add damage (-½), Cannot be Bounced (-¼)[37 AcP] plus RKA 1point, Continuous (+1), No End (+½), Stickly (+½), Uncontrolled (+½, extinguished after 2 rounds); Linked (-½), charges (8, clip; -½), limited (ammo composition in clip must be chosen when clip are charged into; -¼), OAF (-1), Beam (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼), Two Handed (-½), STR Min (5; -¾), STR Min does not add damage (-½), Cannot be Bounced (-¼)

[17 AcP]

Question is: is correct to use multipower? or is better to build this like single power, (the High Explosive) and other round (acid round) are only "special ammo"??

thank you very much

Re: Conversion Cyberpunk to Hero

A Multipower would be perfectly acceptable for two different types of attack which you can switch to. Couple of points about your build: unless you're using an example of how to build this from a published book that I haven't seen, you can only take the Charges Limitation on a Multipower Reserve if the entire Multipower is limited to that number of Charges. If each slot in the Multipower has its own Charges, then the Reserve doesn't get that Lim.

Also, I wouldn't use Suppress for the acid effect, since Suppress shuts off once the Charge is used up and acid damage shouldn't just reappear. I don't think I would use Dispel either, because Dispel's effect is all or nothing - no gradual destruction of the armor. I would suggest a RKA, possibly with Penetrating, Limited "Only vs. Armor." That's assuming that the acid only destroys the armor and not the flesh underneath it.

More generally, you should take a look at this conversion of all the cyberware, bioware, weapons and armor from the CP 2020 core rulebook into HERO:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29816

Destroying armour is a real iffy process in HERO. For one, if I remember correctly, it's twice as hard to drain/suppress/dispel armour.

For the first ammo type, NND (defence is rigid armour)... isn't the gun meant to penetrate rigid armour? I'd recommend looking into Piercing points. Stat-wise, they're extra damage that only serves to penetrate armour. In-game, they reduce the value of armour. If you have, say, 10 piercing points, and the opponent has 10rd (non-hardened), then the opponent effectively has no armour. That should be enough to simulate a gun that ignores armour.

Digital Hero #13 has a discussion on piercing points. For my heroic games, I set 5 piercing points as a +1/2 advantage (IE, equivalent to the AP advantage). Similar, one level of Hardened counters 5 points of piercing. I tend to be very severe on judging AP and Hardened... and in heroic games, I don't bother statting weapons. I neither know nor care how much a particular gun should cost, as it doesn't matter to me. No-one has to buy it with points. If someone wants to use Dispel or Suppress on a gun, they can use it on a number of AP that sounds appropriate to me (since no-one paid points for that telescopic sight, there's no reason it should make a gun harder to destroy).

That also feeds into your main question. If you aren't charging points for the gun, you don't really need to know how to build it. Make it a multipower, make it something else. If you're really concerned, a multipower's probably a good way to go. Of course, having one slot suppressed gets rid of the whole multipower... in which case, different ammo types might be best represented as naked advantages.

Or you could ignore that rule for ammo-type multipowers. :)

The options are limitless.

A Multipower would be perfectly acceptable for two different types of attack which you can switch to. Couple of points about your build: unless you're using an example of how to build this from a published book that I haven't seen' date=' you can only take the Charges Limitation on a Multipower Reserve if the entire Multipower is limited to that number of Charges. If each slot in the Multipower has its own Charges, then the Reserve doesn't get that Lim.[/quote']Oh okay yes, you're right.

The reserve is limited by this number of charges ('cause use same cartridge: you can choose wich ammo insert in the cartridge but clip is only one)

I thinked that i must buy all disadvantage for all slot. I'll correct asap

Also' date=' I wouldn't use Suppress for the acid effect, since Suppress shuts off once the Charge is used up and acid damage shouldn't just reappear. I don't think I would use Dispel either, because Dispel's effect is all or nothing - no gradual destruction of the armor. I would suggest a RKA, possibly with Penetrating, Limited "Only vs. Armor." That's assuming that the acid only destroys the armor and not the flesh underneath it.[/quote']okay thanks

More generally' date=' you should take a look at this conversion of all the cyberware, bioware, weapons and armor from the CP 2020 core rulebook into HERO:[/quote']

:eek::jawdrop: Thank you very much!!!

add on

Seen this file; only items in core rulebook are within, so i must add all other stuff (like items in ChromeBook 1-4, Solo Of Fortune 1-2, some items i've invented in early 6-7 year mastering and 10 year playing, and like)

Even: some items i will change drastically (for example making Cybereyes like VPP or Multipower) but, ehi! this is truly helpful!

For the first ammo type' date=' NND (defence is rigid armour)... isn't the gun meant to penetrate rigid armour?[/quote']In the full document (in italian, so sorry for you...) i explain that "rigid armor" is considered a full-body rigid and/or metallic armor.

So a Metal Gear are Rigid Armor, a full body conversion are rigid armor (in wich case, use acid) but skinweave, subdermal armor or kevlar are not

For the first ammo type' date=' NND (defence is rigid armour)... isn't the gun meant to penetrate rigid armour? I'd recommend looking into Piercing points.[/quote']You convinced me that this is the "right" way; i've tried to add 9 level of piercing against rPD (Metal Gear is about 8-10 rPD...) and EHI! it appear more coerent...

Next day, next question...

CybHerOpunk again: Cyberware.

1) i'm thinking about create a new "limitation" called "cyberware (-½)".

Cyberware is similar to "real weapon" limitation; cyberware include:

A-cyberware is real, so maintenance is necessary (rule adaptation from Chrome3/4?)

B-cyberware is EMP sensible

C-cyberware is detectable with IR, Termographic, Metal Detector, and/or like (few exception may have reduced at -¼ cyberware disdvantage)

D-cyberware substitute a body organ, or is identifiable in a specific zone; some called shot may target at it (in similar manner to "restrainable")

E-must be implanted via surgical operation (difficulty: proportional to Active cost? to real cost?)

F-cyberware is registered in police/LEDiv archives

G-cyberware emulate alla sensory stimuli, so i can feel pain and stress even from cyberarm.

"illegal cyberware (-½)" does not have F and G, but have

H-cyberware is illegal; possession of this cyberware is a class 5 crime (100-500 ? fine and/or 1month-1year in Low security block); using is a class 2 crime (removal of cyberware, up to 1 year in High Security Block and Personality Adjustment) (from "Protect and Serve")

2) Cyberarm/leg are OIF (realskin and similar make it a IIF); Eyes are IIF. Other implanted cyberware is'nt a focus

3) cyberarm/leg/hand and cybereyes are VPP (or better multipower??)

4) all cyberware have a fixed side effect: Humanity Loss:

HL 1-3 is a -¼ disadvantage

HL 4-6 or ½d6 is a -½ disadvantage

HL 7-12 or 1d6 is a -1 disadvantage

HL 2d6 is a -2 disadvantage

Every 5 point of HL must be compensed buying some "cyberpsycho's disadvantage" from a predefined list (enraged, hate against human, etc.)

okay, that's all folks (i think)

your suggestion/comments?

Re: Next day, next question...

CybHerOpunk again: Cyberware.

1) i'm thinking about create a new "limitation" called "cyberware (-½)".

Cyberware is similar to "real weapon" limitation; cyberware include:

A-cyberware is real, so maintenance is necessary (rule adaptation from Chrome3/4?)

B-cyberware is EMP sensible

C-cyberware is detectable with IR, Termographic, Metal Detector, and/or like (few exception may have reduced at -¼ cyberware disdvantage)

D-cyberware substitute a body organ, or is identifiable in a specific zone; some called shot may target at it (in similar manner to "restrainable")

E-must be implanted via surgical operation (difficulty: proportional to Active cost? to real cost?)

F-cyberware is registered in police/LEDiv archives

G-cyberware emulate alla sensory stimuli, so i can feel pain and stress even from cyberarm.

"illegal cyberware (-½)" does not have F and G, but have

H-cyberware is illegal; possession of this cyberware is a class 5 crime (100-500 ? fine and/or 1month-1year in Low security block); using is a class 2 crime (removal of cyberware, up to 1 year in High Security Block and Personality Adjustment) (from "Protect and Serve")

2) Cyberarm/leg are OIF (realskin and similar make it a IIF); Eyes are IIF. Other implanted cyberware is'nt a focus

3) cyberarm/leg/hand and cybereyes are VPP (or better multipower??)

4) all cyberware have a fixed side effect: Humanity Loss:

HL 1-3 is a -¼ disadvantage

HL 4-6 or ½d6 is a -½ disadvantage

HL 7-12 or 1d6 is a -1 disadvantage

HL 2d6 is a -2 disadvantage

Every 5 point of HL must be compensed buying some "cyberpsycho's disadvantage" from a predefined list (enraged, hate against human, etc.)

okay, that's all folks (i think)

your suggestion/comments?

looks pretty good.

I'd do #4 a bit differently tho. Unless your wedded to the Cyberpunk humanity system, I'd do the side effects as a increased time transformation attack vs EGO. Every time the transform exceeds the characters EGO, he gets another 5 points worth of an associated disadvatage... Psyche lims, berserk/enraged, Distinctive features, Social limitations, physical limits...the skys the limit really. perhaps have the transform hit around once a week, only affecting the character if a maintaince roll is failed or routine maintainance is skipped. Of course, make the side effects cumulative in DC across all cyberware, which nicely represents the "More cyber I am the faster I go nuts" factor

Work from the effects rather than the source, as it were :D

Re: Next day, next question...

looks pretty good.
Thanks

I'd do #4 a bit differently tho.

can you explain in detail your idea?

btw, file with weapon for CybHerOpunk is ready, but in italian (stats are in english of course...); if someone want to see, i attach it

Last problem is: to give every weapon "real" range (i mean: 5"xActive Point) or a "flat" range (all pistol 50", alla smg 150", etc.)??

Pistol,smg and rifle stats + Rule (italian version)

I always thought of doing cyber limbs that are suceptible to EMP damage or shutdown as being modeled best by a physical disadvantage rather then foci.

Something like Infrequently if EMP attacks are rare and Slightly, greatly, and fully to simulate how many limbs have been effected of what limbs.

For the case of internal organs that would sustain life then it would be a suceptability or vulnerability.

For certian other abilities like night vision enhancement to normal eyes then it might be best handled as restrainable.

Ive always disliked making cyberwear any type of focus unless its basically a removable prosthesis which is just a bit more high tech then modern ones.

Ive always disliked making cyberwear any type of focus unless its basically a removable prosthesis which is just a bit more high tech then modern ones.
Well, i'm thinking about making cyberware as focus for two reasons:

1) cyberware are damageable; limb are susceptible to damage directly against it (called shot or similiar);

2) cyberware are "equipment", and in my idea (converting R.Talsorian Games' CP2020 under Hero rules) PC are investing ?uros, not points, in it.

and more...

3) cyberware are "changeable", 'cause i can change my arm or leg simply using some screwdriver and similar tool :cool:

Well there's nothing really keeping them from being damaged just because they wouldnt be foci doesnt mean that their SFX doesnt count for something. Also Since they are bought as equipment modifications could be made to them. Not all Hero Level Equipment Has to be a Focus it just has that as a SFX Equipment Cybernetics. An Example might be appropriate in this instance so i give you:

Nomad Santiago

STR 20

DEX 20

CON 20

BODY 20

INT 10

EGO 18

PRE 18

COM 16

PD 4

ED 4

SPD 3 (4)

REC 8

END 40

STUN 40

OCV/DCV 7 RUNNING 10 SWIMMING 2 LEAP 2 (4 WITH STR)

Characteristic Costs: 88 cp

Skills, Perks, and Talents

TF2 wheeled motorized ground vehicals (everyman)

Common Motorized Graond Vehicals

WF Common Melee Weapons and SmallArms

+2 CSL w/ All Combat

Combat piloting 17-

Seduction 16-

PS (everyman) 8- Mechanics

And a few more unmentioned everyman skills

Judo

Choke Hold

Leg Sweep

Martial Escape

Martial Grab

Martial Throw

Sacrifice Throw

Skill Costs: 82 Character Points

Disadvantages

Psych. Lim. (Cocky) Common Strong

Psych. Lim. (Attracted to collegue: Rogue) Common Moderate

Reputation (Influencial Member of the Aldecaldo Pack) Frequent 11-

Reputation (Reliable Operative That Works Cheap)Frequent 11-

Social Limitation (Nomad) Frequently 11- Major Not Limiting In Nomad Cultures

Hunted (Police)AP Occassionally Harsh Punishment (Incarceration)

Hunted (Various Corperates he has Operated Against) MP NCI Harsh Punishment (Homocide)

Chararacter: Base 75 + 75 Disadvantages + 20 (I come from an non d20 game system bonus)

Disadvantages Recieved From Cybernetics

Physical Limitation (Loss of use for eyes and Right Arm and Leg when encountering EMP phenomenon) Infrequently Fully

Distictive Feature (Cybered Up) Easily Concealable Major Reaction Not Distinctive in Street Cultures

Cybernetics

Cyber Eyes

Infrared Perception

Low Light "Hero System Night Vision" (restrainable -1/4 by EMP Phanomenon)

Targeting Scope +1 CSL w/ small arms (restrainable -1/4 by EMP Phanomenon)

Cost: 1800 euro

Cyber Arm and Leg

+1DC only for Right Arm or leg -1/4 0 Endurance +1/2

+6 RPD Coverage 7-8 and 14-18 but only for right arm and leg -1

+3 Str for Right Arm or Leg 0 -1/4 0 Endurance +1/2

9mm PopupGun 1D6+1 30 charges +1/4 Beam -1/4 Real Weapon -1/4 Str cannot add to Damage -1/2 (restrainable -1/4 by EMP Phanomenon) + 3 SKill Level W/ Concealment

+2RPD Coverage 7-8 Right Arm Only -1 1/2 (Kevlar Platin on Arm)

Leg Holster +4 Skill Levels W/ Concealment (only for small caliber pistols -1/4) restrainable -1/4 by EMP Phanomenon)

Cost: 6100 euro

Kerenzikov Boost LVL 2: +1 Spd (restrainable -1/4 by EMP Phanomenon)

+3 Dex only for going first in a Phase -1 (restrainable -1/4 by EMP Phanomenon)

Cost: 1000 for neural Coprocessor 1000 for lvl 2 Boost

Gear

Heavy Armor 11def Coverage 10-13 OIF Real Armor Half Mass

Cost: 200 euro

Helmet 5 def coverage 3-5 OIF Real Armor No Mass

Cost: 20 Euro

AKR-20 Assault Rifle +2 ocv +1 Rmod Dam 2D6 StunX +1 StrMin 15 Charges 30 AutoFire 5

Cost: 500 euro

Federated Arms X-9mm Dam 1D6+1 StrMin 7 Charges 12

Cost: 300 euro

Bimodo Motorcycle Size 1.25x .64 Mass 200kg Str 15 Def 3 Body11 Dex 23 Spd 4 Move 30x4 Max 480

Cost: 2000 euro

That feeling you get when you just survived a huge fire fight and still managed to make off with the payroll. Priceless

Santiago is a fairly Arrogant and Cocky nomad attached to the Aldecaldo Pack a sizable Nomad Family that has extensive contacts and influence. He loves to live the life "Girls, Guns, and The fastest Cycles." He tends to hang around another street operative named Rogue. This is mainly due to the fact that he hasnt been able to score with her but also because she's decent company of a job. Rogue has yet to figure out whether she wants to sleep with him or shoot him.

Thanks for all the fine work, Dr. Divago. :)

I suggest that you look at the Limitation, "Restrainable," in your Fifth Edition rulebook. There is a -1/4 version of it which is described as being appropriate to cyberware that isn't removable as a Focus is, and which is very similar in several ways to your proposed Cyberware Limitation.

I suggest that you look at the Limitation' date=' "Restrainable," in your Fifth Edition rulebook. There is a -1/4 version of it which is described as being appropriate to cyberware that isn't removable as a Focus is, and which is very similar in several ways to your proposed Cyberware Limitation.[/quote']I know; my cyberware limitation include Restrainable limitation as well as other minor limitation (legality or illegality, surgical implantation, etc

Well there's nothing really keeping them from being damaged just because they wouldnt be foci doesnt mean that their SFX doesnt count for something. Also Since they are bought as equipment modifications could be made to them. Not all Hero Level Equipment Has to be a Focus it just has that as a SFX Equipment Cybernetics. An Example might be appropriate in this instance so i give you:
great example!

but the problem is: my idea was to build up a "package" wich can be applied without modification on all characters

In CP2020 original concept i buy a cyberware. Only the fact the is written in the sheet give me some advantage and some disadvantages.

Howewer, if buyng a cyberware means rewrite some piece of my character sheet (add disadvantages, add advantages, etc.), i lose a lot of time, expecially if i play with PC who don't known all hero rules...

Note: my english is poor, i know, so i can make fail my "translation" skill roll :) (or worst: i can make a "18"...)

If something i wrote does offend somebody, i apologize: can be caused by my low score on "english language" (i must invest some points next time... :):D)