I am a living medical lab

Foxx!

Heroes!

I want to make a character who can get the same information you get from medical equipment: X-rays, sonograms, ECGs, blood tests etc. He doesn’t have special vision and so on; he’s just very good at using normal senses to detect things about your health and condition. I have a few ideas.

1: buy +10 levels to SS: Medical Science. I’ve seen lock picking tools bought as skill levels to Lock Picking skill. Thus, buy medical equipment as skill levels but don’t make it a focus.

2: buy Detect ‘health condition’ with Analyse and Discriminatory.

3: buy a separate skill SS: Health Diagnosis which does only this ability.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Re: I am a living medical lab

You would definately need the Detect if you want to intuit what an X-ray or catscan would be needed to discover. Add to that one or both of the other Skills so you can intereprete the data you gain from it.

Maybe. It is up to the GM to decide what an Extraordinary Skill roll (+10) can do. I see no real reason you couldn't allow this kind of result, if the genre and specific setting permit.

Maybe. It is up to the GM to decide what an Extraordinary Skill roll (+10) can do. I see no real reason you couldn't allow this kind of result' date=' if the genre and specific setting permit.[/quote']

Maybe once in a dramatic point in the story, but not as a use-all-the-time bit. Otherwise you could say the same for Telepathy. Just make your PER/Deduction roll by 10 or more and you can perceive his thoughts!

Personally I'd go with option #2 and use the Detect skill. Something like this:

(Total: 30 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost)

Uncanny Medical Sense: Detect physical health abnormalities (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic: x1000 (24 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus +3 PER with Sight Group (6 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

The microscopic is bought upto x1000 which should allow things as small as viruses or pryons to be seen. I figure that this isn't really a combat ability so the user just lays his hands on the subject and in about 12 seconds (1 turn) knows just about everything about the subjects health. A person with normal INT of 10 will have a 14- roll with this construct. If the character has a heightened INT or PER roll you can do away with the +3 PER and lower the cost even more. I made it a sight group because I envision the character seeing into his subject when he touches them and concentrates. A full turn is required to look them over from head to toe.