Glorantha Hero

Doc Democracy

Feel of the characters

While we are in a discussion here I thought I'd try and guage a few thoughts on what people expect when they play a Gloranthan character.

When I play in Glorantha my thoughts are to involve my character in the wider network of communities and politics that exist all over that world. Even choices about what magic you learn inveigles you in politics of one sort or another.

As far as I see it, all of this leads to the Hero Wars where the future nature of the world is decided and each faction in the world has to generate Heroes that can fight for their way of existence.

To that end I need to think how to present the characters and what facets of a character that I focus on.

I think the important parts of the chracter sheet are going to be

relationships/affiliations

major character traits

magic use

skills

combat

I liked the way that the King of Dragon Pass had a stripped down character decription indicating the broad areas where the character was strong or weak. I also liked the way that HeroQuest only mentions a characters notable traits. I may make the system so that I have something similar.

What made a RQ or HQ character stand out from other systems for you and was that because of the system or because of the setting. (You might guess that I'm more interested in setting type stuff).

Doc

Re: Feel of the characters

I consider them different beasts. I know many people (especially the grognards) can't separate the two, but I like RuneQuest III as a game system, and I like Glorantha as a setting. I actually think that HeroQuest does the best possible job with the setting - they just need to put more work into standardizing the elements so that they form a coherent whole. Since it's an Epic Fantasy setting, I could definitely see how HQ is the better system for it, since it's pared down to narrative elements.

RuneQuest, on the other hand, is a fairly complex system that is fairly robust. You can use it quite well for a large number of diverse settings, and it still retains its strengths. I really like the RQ Vikings supplement, and I thought the Mythic Europe setting had promise.

That being said, what always made the old RQ Glorantha stand out was the characters. Because the setting was rich, the characters were multi-dimensional.

Runes

What role should the runes play?

When I got Runequest the runes seemed central to everything but in Heroquest they seem to have moved away from the centre of things.

I would like to see the runes play a significant role in Glorantha Hero. I was thinking that the character sheet should indicate the strength of connection the character has with a variety of runes - that might determine what cults etc the character would find it easy to join. The strength would come from development of particular skills and spells etc.

Doc

What made a RQ or HQ character stand out from other systems for you and was that because of the system or because of the setting. (You might guess that I'm more interested in setting type stuff).

I was never tied to the RQ system (although I quite liked the Pendragon incarnation of the BRP system). I liked the characters because they were unlike anything else out there, but mostly because their religion mattered (and not just to the clerics).

It was cool that worshippers of Orlanth actually had wind powers, and magic to behave just like their god behaved (instead of Cure Light Wounds x3, Light, and Protection from Evil for the wind god cleric). Plus, the shamans actually did shamany things.

And the spirit binding rules were cool. And everyone had battle magic. And anyone could call for divine intervention (even though it sucked two of my PCs down to ~1 POW).

And you could play anything. I was bitterly disappointed at Greg's admonition against playing Dragonewts, so I took an Aldryami when everyone else was playing twinked-out Uz (yeah, in retrospect, probably a weird combination. but we were in the Rubble, so what the heck).

And then I got Cults of Terror, and realized Glorantha was one of the coolest game worlds I'd ever read about. But then no one wanted to play. :(

What role should the runes play?

Well, since you're playing Hero, I suggest taking a cue from HW... Structure each PCs magic around their cult's Runes:

Make each Rune a power framework (multipower, probably).

This would probably work best for theists, but when the Humakti PC wants to learn a Kill Undead feat (er, "Rune Spell"), simply have him buy another slot in his Death Rune multipower. If you want 'em reusable, add "1 Charge, Recoverable" to the slot.

Animism and spirits might be trickier, but for non-shaman practitioners you might just give them a VPP that requires foci (fetishes) and charges (1 charge = 1 favor from the spirit), and add a limitation that they need to go to the shaman to get the VPP replenished. You might give them one VPP for each "Rune" of spirits/fetishes they can command.

Re: Glorantha Hero

Typical Durulz

Player: n/a

Val Char Cost

7 STR -3

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

3 PD 2

3 ED 1

2 SPD 0

3 REC 0

20 END 0

19 STUN 0

4" RUN -4

6" SWIM 4

1" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 0

Cost Power

1 Can see just fine underwater: +2 PER with Normal Sight (2 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only underwater; -1/2)

1 Can hold breath: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn)

Powers Cost: 2

Cost Skill

2 AK: Local Rivers and Wetlands 11-

2 KS: Durulz Customs and Religion 11-

0 Language: Durulz (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

2 Language: Tradetongue (fluent conversation)

1 Language: Local human language (basic conversation)

2 Navigation (Marine) 11-

2 PS: fisher 11-

2 Survival (Marine Surface) 11-

2 TF: Rafts, Small Rowed Boats

3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Sling

Skills Cost: 18

Cost Talent

2 Environmental Movement (no penalties on Water)

Talents Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 22

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Physical Limitation: Unwieldy Body Shape (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 10

Base Points: 50

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: White (Feathers)

Eye Color: Black

Height: 1.20 m

Weight: 50.00 kg

Description:

The Durulz look like anthromorphized ducks, with an average adult male standing about four feet tall. they come in the same variety of feather colors and patterns as their apparent cousins, but the most common breed is white-feathered with yellow beaks. Due to their unusual lower body shape and webbed feet, most human furniture and clothing is awkward for Durulz to use (and vice versa.)

BACKGROUND

The Durulz (often called "Ducks" by those who don't have to live with them) are one of the many minor sentient races of Glorantha. Humans tend to believe that the Durulz are either humans cursed with a strange appearance, or ducks cursed to lose flight. The Durulz claim that they were made as they are, a separate race with nothing to be ashamed of. Little is known of the Durulz religion, though they are known to worship the gods/spirits of the bodies of water they reside near, and some of their cultural heroes have become public knowledge.

The Durulz have stayed out of most human conflicts, and have to a large extent avoided warring with their neighbors, giving the impression that they have no place in history. They are mostly found near rivers and lakes, building communities that take full advantage of Durulz swimming ability.

PERSONALITY

The Durulz are a proud and freedom-loving people, though they are more likely to move away than to battle directly. Individual Durulz stereotypically are hard-headed, short-tempered and vain. They're also quite gregarious, and normally flock together in their crowded villages, enjoying each other's company. Adventuring Durulz are comparative loners, and it is rare to see more than one of them in a party. Female adventurers are also rare; Durulz are egg-layers, and the mother must brood on the eggs (usually one or two; three or more are very uncommon) until they are hatched. Thus Durulz women are expected to take up nestbound occupations.

There is one human god the Durulz have fully embraced, Humakt the god of death and honor. They prize him for his special talents against the undead (a problem in the wetlands) and no one who has seen a Death Drake in combat laughs at "ducks" again.

"It's not the size of the Durulz in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Durulz."

POWERS/TACTICS

The Durulz are excellent swimmers and divers, spending much of their lives on the water. Naturally, the tactics of Durulz warbands rely heavily on amphibious tactics. They will avoid going very far from the water, and are quick to retreat when the odds are against them. If there is a Humakti among them, he will usually be given tactical leadership.

CAMPAIGN_USE

Durulz fill the "feisty short people" slot that Gloranthan dwarves don't so much. They also make good local color and guides near large bodies of water or in swamps. They're a decent race for player characters, exotic without being overwhelming.

Pumping up a Durulz is fairly simple.

Combat Skills: The Humakti road is obvious, but many Durulz participate in the village militia even if they're not full-time warriors.

Equipment: Durulz tend to wear light armor and weapons suitable to their size and preference for quick movement in the water. Most Durulz equipment is custom-made for the wielder; they're proud of their craftmanship, though for metalwork you still want a Dwarf. They will use magical objects with suitable care and intelligence.

Magic: Again, the Humakt thing is rather obvious. Water spirit-related magics are fairly common among the Durulz, and a few misfits have taken to sorcery. (One plucky fellow went East to study their mystic ways, but has not been heard from since.)

Durulz Culture Heroes

Was hoping to have someone in between, but okay.

Do-Nal of All Trades: A restless Durulz who tried his hand at many kinds of work; he is said to be the first or one of the first Durulz to attempt many of the non-traditional occupations. In the stories, Do-Nal is noted for his foul temper, and for a speech defect that makes it hard for non-Durulz to understand him. His tales are divided into two categories, the ones where Do-Nal relies on hard work and determination and succeeds, and those where he relies on trickery and luck, where he fails. Do-Nal is depicted as a non-descript man in occupational clothing, usually frowning or shouting. He is invoked whenever a Durulz switches careers, or takes up an occupation not currently represented in the village.

Uncle Screwtail: The first Durulz merchant, depicted in stories as immensely wealthy, but cursed with miserliness and greed. His stories involve quests to find new riches, cautionary tales of how he is tricked by those who take advantage of his miserliness, and the repeated attacks by thieves attracted to his wealth. Uncle Screwtail is depicted as an elderly Durulz with spiraling tailfeathers, wearing a fine robe. He is invoked by merchants and treasure hunters.

The Triplets: Hu, Du and Lu are purportedly the first successful triple hatching, great warriors and scouts. Their stories follow a simple pattern; when the triplets quarrel, they fail, when they work together, they succeed. They are depicted as identical youths, each with a splash of color to distinguish them. (Different villages use different colors.) The triplets are invoked with any triple hatching, or when a task requires close cooperation by many Durulz.

Da-Fyd the Mad: Da-Fyd is something of a Trickster figure in Durulz legend. He is most noted for vanity and pride that approaches delusion, seeing himself as a great hero. His stories involve his struggles with other tricksters and great hunters; he usually comes off the worse in these contests. When Da-Fyd does succeed, it's either a lucky coincidence or thanks to the efforts of a clever companion (who is not thanked.) Da-Fyd is depicted as a thin, black-feathered fellow with a white ring around his neck. He is invoked when one is believed to be on a fool's errand or about to do something suicidal.

Ah-Iru the Dancer: One of the Durulz' few female heroes. Her beloved was a warrior who was defeated by Delecti the necromancer, then torn into small pieces and scattered across Glorantha. Ah-Iru quested to retrieve those pieces, her compassion, determination and dancing skill allowing her to succeed again and again. In the end, one piece could not be found, and Ah-Iru performed a Great Dance that used her life to restore her beloved to wholeness. She is depicted as a golden-feathered maiden with an orange beak and unruly headfeathers. Her story is danced as much as it is spoken, and bits of it are often performed at village festivals. Notably, the part of Ah-Iru's story called "The Jealous Morokanth" is nearly identical to the Morokanth tale titled "The Yellow Duck Thief." Except for the motives of the Durulz in the tale. Ah-Iru is invoked by dancers, by maidens in love, and by those whose love has obstacles in the way.

Magic in MyGlorantha

OK. the principles of magic in my Glorantha are that all magic must be activated (though this may simply be focussing on a tattoo). If targetted on someone else though then the spellcaster must overcome his opponent's spirit fo rthe spell to take effect.

Spirit gets depleted through the use of Battle magic

Spirit is used to buy Rune Magic though does not get depleted through its use.

A character's spirit is limited in size until he achieves Rune Priest status.

Battle magic is short term magic powered through spirit that achieves small practical effects.

Rune magic allows the caster to emulate the feats of his God.

That's what magic in Glorantha means to me. Magic mean anything else to other people?

Runes

I'm thinking that I'll try and make runes a bit more prominent in the game than they were in either RQ or HQ.

On the character sheet there will be space to show the relationship between the character and a variety of runes. The initial runes for a character would be defined by the culture and family background of the character, for example, if the character was the son of an Orlanthi farmer he would have a relationship with the Storm rune, Movement rune, Earth rune and Beast rune.

Each rune will have two numbers associated with it - the rune number would indicate the strength of the association and this would play a role in contests such as joining particular cults or on heroquests. The second number would be a pool of available points - a Rune pool.

Every skill and spell would attract a 1pt surcharge that would add to a particular rune (often a choice of runes) e.g. Kuschile Horse Archery would add a point to Sky pool, though an argument could be made for Truth (another cult rune) or Beast due to the nature of the skill.

Points in rune pools could be used to purchase abilities taught by an associated cult (though while the cost still costs an extra point it does not add to the pool).

Associated abilities may also be boosted by spending a point of the pool - for example a character with 8 points in their Fire rune pool can increase the damage done by a FireArrow spell by 8 STUN and 2 BODY (STUN/3 no rounding)

The rune number (for a particular rune) would increase by one every time a point is added to the associated rune pool.

I would also provide special effects for high rune numbers, for example, a Humakti with a Death Rune number of 10 or greater would cause flowers to wilt if he stayed close for too long or increase the risk of abortions etc.

Doc

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Glorantha Hero

Since I'm not fond of "new model" Glorantha' date=' the stuff in this thread fills me with joy. I ran Glorantha Hero a long time ago (c. 1989-91), and these guys were real heroes: 100 + 100 disads. Worked great.[/quote']

Did you do anything funky or just provide Hero equivalents of the Gloranthan spells etc?

• 1 year later...