Horror Setting: Eidolon

Guest Black Lotus

Guest Black Lotus

Hmm. I'm designing a new setting for the Horror genre. All I can tell you at this point is that it is (tentatively) called Eidolon, it is set in modern times, there will be an organization in the setting that is very much a schattenjaeger (demon hunter) type of thing, and that reality is not always as it seems. Demons, phantoms (which is what "eidolon" means -- phantom), and other, more mysterious evil forces run rampant, though of course modern society chooses not to notice such things.

Some of my ideas for Eidolon fit genre stereotypes, while others do not. I would like to ask you all to criticize the attached title for Eidolon -- does it look okay? How could it be imporved? (Don't worry too much about the "Horror Roleplaying Game" text.)

I would also like to invite all interested parties who would like to help develop Eidolon's world to contact me -- I could use some different viewpoints and a little help. The finished product, should it indeed survive conception, would be published to PDF -- I have all the tools to do that -- and the game will, of course, be using the HERO 5ER game rules, and perhaps a few of the rules from other sourcebooks, as well.

- BL.

Re: Horror Setting: Eidolon

I would like to ask you all to criticize the attached title for Eidolon -- does it look okay? How could it be imporved? (Don't worry too much about the "Horror Roleplaying Game" text.)

The Eidolon portion looks good, at least it seems be in the proper mood of the setting. I'll stop worrying about the "Horror Roleplaying Game" text :whistle:

Guest Black Lotus

Another possible concept for Eidolon's title text. Quite different from the other one posted here, but I think I like this one better.

I hope this doesn’t come off as sounding too weird, but here it goes:

The first banner makes me think of either – aliens, intelligent undead, or sophisticated and organized demons.

The second banner makes me think of either – zombies, disorganized demons, or unknown evil.

Just my gut feelings, I like them both, but it depends on which one captures what you are designing.

Guest Black Lotus

I hope this doesn’t come off as sounding too weird, but here it goes:

The first banner makes me think of either – aliens, intelligent undead, or sophisticated and organized demons.

The second banner makes me think of either – zombies, disorganized demons, or unknown evil.

Just my gut feelings, I like them both, but it depends on which one captures what you are designing.

That is extremely useful input. Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it. I think I will definitely lean towards a design based on the characteristics of the second banner.

Whooo else wants to help with Eidolon? I have two responses already, and am quite serious about sharing ideas and responsibilities with co-designers as equals.

The Second banner definitely has more of a Silent Hill heebee jeebeies kind of feel to it, which sounds like what your setting is aiming for. It sounds interesting, and I might be interested in helping out, but at this point I don't want to commit to anything solid because I don't want to end up with too many irons in the fire.

Guest Black Lotus

The Second banner definitely has more of a Silent Hill heebee jeebeies kind of feel to it' date=' which sounds like what your setting is aiming for. It sounds interesting, and I might be interested in helping out, but at this point I don't want to commit to anything solid because I don't want to end up with too many irons in the fire.[/quote']

I certainly understand. After viewing your comments in that one art thread where you have been posting your pictures, I got the impression you were involved with a lot of different projects.

Well, I'll use you however you'll let me, my pretty! Eeeee HEE hee ehe hee ehehee!

I certainly understand. After viewing your comments in that one art thread where you have been posting your pictures, I got the impression you were involved with a lot of different projects.

Well, I'll use you however you'll let me, my pretty! Eeeee HEE hee ehe hee ehehee!

Yeah...I suddenly had a huge time void in my life and have been overcompensating by trying to do everything at once. Except of course, I keep spending too damn much time on these boards :D

Feel free to try and throw anything my way. If it sparks my interest I might just catch it and do something with it :P

Guest Black Lotus

Well, I've been working on a system for classifying "ghosts", similar to the way animals are categorized, based on Latin words. A few I have been considering:

-- Phasma (noun): A ghost, spectre, or spirit.

-- Lucidus (adjective): Basically describes a phasma which realizes it is dead, and has not found its way to the "afterlife".

-- Nescius (adjective): Describes a phasma which does not realize it is dead, but has not found its way to the "afterlife".

-- Malus (adjective): Describes a phasma which is violent and/ or evil.

-- Aequus (adjective): Describes a phasma which is neither good nor evil.

-- Benevolus (adjective): Describes a phasma which is actively kind and good.

-- Still trying to decide on a Latin adjective for "returned", to denote a spirit which has returned again to the physical plane, after it already found its way to the "afterlife" once.

Some more fringe words:

-- Quietus (adjective): Will describe a spirit which is at peace.

-- Concussus (maybe, undecided) (adjective): Will describe a spirit which is restless.

A free, downloadable Latin dictionary program may be found online, by the name of "Latin WORDS". Google it: "Latin words free dictionary" or some such, if you would like a copy.