How to: Overload

nexus

Overload is a mutant with power to enhance another mutants powers. But her power has negative effect. If increases a power too much it becomes uncontrollable and the adaptive mutations that keep the character alive shut or are overwhelmed by the new power. She can't stop this effect, but she can do it deliberately.

For example. she can boost a speedster mutant and increase his speed and other powers, but eventually he'll come to a point where the assumed protection he has from such things as air friction and straining his body fail or an energy blaster might start taking damage from his blasts and eventually be unable to shut them off. An overloaded Telepath would be swamped in telepathic feedback from surrounding minds and take mental damge, etc.

Her power only effects natural mutants and she must touch them to perform her enhancment. Her power is also addictive to mutants, leaving the craving greater and greater enhancement.

Overload is an NPC so point cost is not really an issue.

Re: How to: Overload

Overload is a mutant with power to enhance another mutants powers. But her power has negative effect. If increases a power too much it becomes uncontrollable and the adaptive mutations that keep the character alive shut or are overwhelmed by the new power. She can't stop this effect, but she can do it deliberately.

For example. she can boost a speedster mutant and increase his speed and other powers, but eventually he'll come to a point where the assumed protection he has from such things as air friction and straining his body fail or an energy blaster might start taking damage from his blasts and eventually be unable to shut them off. An overloaded Telepath would be swamped in telepathic feedback from surrounding minds and take mental damge, etc.

Her power only effects natural mutants and she must touch them to perform her enhancment. Her power is also addictive to mutants, leaving the craving greater and greater enhancement.

Overload is an NPC so point cost is not really an issue.

Tricky that.

The base effect is easy... a large Aid with the +2 effects all powers of a SFX (Mutant) simultaneously advantage.

The overload damage effect is going to be rough. The simplest way I can see is a triggered continous uncontrolled attack with variable SFX and possibly variable advantages. the trigger would be related to the amount of required boost to reach the critical level. This could be put in a mulktipower to have different effects, possibly with a limit that the attack slot used is based on the powers of the opponent rather than concious choice. A more difficult was to do it would be a VPP to sculpt whatever effect is appropriate for the targets powers.

The addiction is easy. I'd probably do it as a side effects on the aid... a transform attack to add a Dependence disad. If you see it as an advantage to the power set rather than a hinderance, go ahead and write it up the same way.

Fabian Cortez, perchance?

Depending on how the power was mainly used you may get away with side effects on an activation roll, so, for instance, if the Aid was 60 AP and you have full effect side effects at 11- you would apply a (-1/2) limitation. You might even be able to get away with that for the addiction/transformation effect too. I know this 'limiting limitations' approach is frowned upon, but if it works, so what? If you don't want to do it that way, make the actual damage effect you build on an activation roll.

Of course, as you can use the power offensively the GM would get a little shirty, but it is an NPC, so....

As to the damage casued whether it is a side effect or a seperate linked power I'd be inclined to go for a triggered NND 1d6 killing attack Does BODY 0 END. The auto resetting trigger is 'whenever a boosted power is used'.

15 1d6 RKA

Trigger +1/2

NND +1

Does BODY +1

0 END +1/2

60 Active points

No range (-1/2)

40 real points

OK it requires the use of the power, but I think that is ok - if you give up the power you don't take the damage. If you are not happy with that then remove trigger and add continuous and uncontrolled, then you might have to reduce it to a 1/2d6 effect for 50 points of effect, or add gradual effect instead.

Lots of options.

The transform should be a small penetrating major mental transform to 'boost addict': say 10 points (1/2d6 major transform) penetrating (+1/2) 0 END(+1/2) for 20 active points. You might want to make it even smaller and lump in more levels of penetrating and specify it only works if the target is effected by the Aid - size of limitation inversely proportional to the size of the Aid.

Kludgetastic as it is the other 'major effect' option, rather than a killing attack, might be a transform, with variable effects, so that you can tailor the problem that is caused to the powers of the boosted individual (including, perhaps, changing their powers to '10d6 RKA explosion no range': Bishop go boom)

If you want to have a point beyond which the aid has nasty side effects, buy the aid normally and then buy extra pool points with the side effects, so on a 4d6 Aid (+26 in pool) you can boost someone by 24 points without side effects, then everything over that (up to the 50 popint boost) incurs side effects.

Like I say: lots of options.

Fabian Cortez, perchance?

Who? That's not a character I'm familiar with but if he has a similiar power set and a write up I'd love to see it. I guess its true, there really isn't anything that hasn't been done before.

Who? That's not a character I'm familiar with but if he has a similiar power set and a write up I'd love to see it. I guess its true' date=' there really isn't anything that hasn't been done before.[/quote']

...maybe but there's plenty of new takes on old idea. :) Here's a reference for you. Don't know if anyone has done a Hero write-up.

http://www.geocities.com/x_villains/cortez/cortez.html

I was thinking an Aid for the simple boosting, with a Limited Limitation: Side Effect (however that could be worked out) for the overload. The overload itself is nothing more than a VPP with No Time, No Roll, Can't Choose Powers and Only When Using Aid. The result is whateve type of damage (and SFX) applicable to the target.