Hero Sidekick

I was curious, Aside from disallowing the STOP powers, Is it entirely feasable to Utilize the Sidekick Rules to run a campaign? Reason I am asking is that it's kind of steep to buy the 5th edition rules. Also how would you suggest I handle things like vehicles and bases since I dont have the rules I would need to build them.

Re: Hero Sidekick

Sidekick is a complete and useable game, but doesn't have anything like the detail and refinement of the main rules. You can run a campaign from Sidekick, and I'd suggest you do: you'll probably want the full rules by the end of it :)

As for vehcicles and bases, well there are a couple of books: The Ultimate Vehicle and the Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook (both in the online store) that could help, and you'll certainly need something if vehicles and bases are going to play a big part in your games Lot cheaper to buy the sourcebooks than the full rules, especially if that is an important area to you. Personally vehicles tend not to play a big part in my games so you can definitely get by without those bits, certainly in the short term, for most campaigns: you can always work out speeds in game terms and BODY and DEF from the materials table if you want to work it out. Lots of effort though.

I agree with Sean. If you are going Vehicle heavy, the the Ultimate Vehicle since it has really everything you need for that. Bases are a different issue, and the Ult. Base isn't out yet.

As an alternative to shelling out the $$ for the big book, buy the PDF fo $35, that saves you $15. If that still isn't feasable I'm not sure what to tell you. It would help to know how important bases and vehicles are to your campaign whether the 5ER is the way to go or UV is preferable.

I was curious' date=' Aside from disallowing the STOP powers, Is it entirely feasable to Utilize the Sidekick Rules to run a campaign? Reason I am asking is that it's kind of steep to buy the 5th edition rules. Also how would you suggest I handle things like vehicles and bases since I dont have the rules I would need to build them.[/quote']

You know, I rarely ever use the base and vehicle rules. I suppose in a Star Hero game that focused heavily on spacecraft I would make more use of them, but in most games I would no notice the lack of them.

thanks muchly' date=' I was thinking of running a fantasy hero campaign but wasnt sure if I could still get away with certain Ideas I have. thanks for the hints.[/quote']

Sidekick will work quite well for a Fantasy Hero game (and, if you are using the game to entice players of "some other game" to give Hero a try, Sidekick is nicely non-intimidating).