Super-Strength Smash-Through Question

Alverant

Could I buy another inch of Tunneling with this power to make a 2 hex wide hole (FX is smashing each fist into adjcent hexes, knocking down the walls)? Also if I bought Trigger (mental command) could I use the second inch on a second wall? For example if the character was running from one room, across the hall, to a second room, could he use one inch on the first door and the second inch on the other door? (Likewise since the power would not be bought for walls/doors only, it could be used to smash through floors multiple floors while falling, assuming it was an intentional fall.)

Tunneling 2" 10 DEF Trigger (mental command) 1/4, 0END (61 Active Points)

No Non-combat -1/4, only vs barriers 1/2" or less -1/2

35 Character Points

Re: Super-Strength Smash-Through Question

Tunneling is a movement power. If you only purchased 2" of it then that would be considered a full move when you finished with those 2 inches so there is no carryover to take you to another wall within that phase.

Forgot to add: I would allow a character to sacrifice movement to make the tunnel larger.

you need the "trigger takes no time" one if you want to do it instantaneously

I thought that was the "mental command" trigger was for. I don't use that advantage very often so I might have been confused. It's the same cost either way.

Well, if all you're looking for is the ability to smash through walls, one option I suggest would be specific uses of Strength. That could be simpler than a Tunnelling construct.

When you inflict a wall's full BODY worth of damage past its Defenses, you create a one-hex hole. Do that again and you create another such hole. You could give your character enough STR to break through a wall with one Strike, perhaps some of it Limited Only To Smash Walls (or however you might want to Limit it). How do you create those holes simutaneously? If you allow the optional Sweep Maneuver, you might allow the character to Sweep adjacent hexes of the wall, with the Special Effect of striking it simultaneously with both fists. Otherwise you could apply a two-shot Autofire Advantage to the character's STR, with the same SFX.

With enough STR available to the character, he could use Casual STR to burst through however many walls, doors etc. stand in his way up to his full Movement without using any Actions to break them down.

Admittedly that construct is probably best suited to a Brick character than some other type, but what you described does sound like the way a Brick would be portrayed.

I agree with Lord Liaden. +50 Str, 0 END, No figured: -1/2, Only to smash throw walls/barriers: -1 will run you 30 points and give you a much cleaner way of doing this besides tunneling. Some other options could be: Naked armor piercing advantage on strength, walls/barriers only: -1. You can even buy x levels of piercing from Dark Champions and put a walls/barriers only limitation on it.

The extra Str is a nice idea, especially if you make it high enough for the Casual Str to allow the character to ignore most barriers. For the Tunneling, a Trigger might work but I'd probably make it an automatically reseting fixed trigger like, "When I purposefully run into a wall."

You could also ask your GM about mixing modes of movement. It is not allowed in the standard system (aside from doing a Half Move with one mode and another Half Move with the other), but I often allow characters to mix movement modes more fluidly. For example, if a character is running across rooftops and Gliding or Leaping over the gaps, I often allow multiple switches between Running and the alternate Movement Power as long as the following conditions are all met:

1. The character is doing nothing but moving this Phase (i.e. I don't even allow a FMove maneuver such as Move Through, unless maybe in very heroic/dramatic circumstances).
  2. The total amount of combined movement is less than the total movement the character has in the primary mode (Running in this case).
  3. The total amount of movement used for the alternate mode (Gliding or Leaping in my example) is less than half the character's total movement in that mode.

So if a character has 20" of Running and 6" of Gliding, I would allow them to move a total of 20" with no more than 3" of Gliding interspersed arbitrarily as a Full Phase action.

I will say again that this is very much a house rule, and those are my personal conditions on such movement. It might work well as-is or slightly modified for your case, though. You could also place restrictions for Tunnelling on the DEF of the material; such as requiring that the material's DEF be no greater than half the max DEF your Tunnelling can go through.

Actually' date='MitchellS,I think the first option you gave (extra STR) is the best,as you could put the extra STR into a Power Framework.[/quote']

I prefer the first option myself. I just wanted to show the range of possiblities to go with tunneling. Of course in our game any of the other examples I gave would work as we have down-sized the def and body of most of the listed structures in the books. That way the heroes can actually do things of heroic scale and the super-toughs come off as super tough.