Teleportation UAA question

mallet

So, this is another how would you ______, type question. Sorry. (maybe there should be a whole spereate thread just for these types of questions?)

Anyways,

I want to build a character that can teleport small, non-sentient, objects to his hand. Like keys, guns, plants, sword, some one else's gun, etc...

So I figure Teleport with usable as attack does the trick, but can anyone think of/know any types of Limit's to put on this to cover the lack of size, lifeform, etc...? I mean I could put the limit doesn't work of people -2; but that seems kind of cheap and weasely.

Does anyone else have an idea? Maybe low STR telekineses with a special effect of "teleportation"?

How would you do it?

Re: Teleportation UAA question

For the first part -- this section of the boards is specifically for that kind of question.

second, the suggestion made is a good one.

Or another:

Telekenesis, Fine Man. 5-10STR, Only to Grab and object -1/2 (or-1)

Teleportation: Linked to Telekenesis, only after successful Grab, Only object Grabbed.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything there, but the idea is you can teleport any object you've gotten a hold of first.

I'd try 'stretching: doesn't cross the intervening space' - at least then you have a mechanic for getting someone else's gun off them (although the TK idea would do it you'd also need IPE, IMO). Won't work for great distances or stuff you can't see, but then you could build it in a multipower:

TP MP

1. Stretching: doesn't cross intervening space

2. TP: UAA inanimate objects only (-1) Bring only (-1/2)

3. Transform

Transform? Why not? You can create some small change, keys, whatever you need, with the sfx being you have teleported them to your hand.

I'd use Kristopher's example myself. I'd specifically make the character target the focus he was trying to take and the power wouldn't work against anyone with hardened defenses like force fields' date=' etc.[/quote']

....although that circumvents the ususal grab rules, and would make the character a focus-killer. I'd be very wary of allowing this.

....although that circumvents the ususal grab rules' date=' and would make the character a focus-killer. I'd be very wary of allowing this.[/quote']

I believe that was the whole point. If you can destroy a focus by attacking it you should be able to take it away as well. There's no str vrs str with a teleport. It just disappears from your hand. I've seen that many times in comics.

I believe that was the whole point. If you can destroy a focus by attacking it you should be able to take it away as well. There's no str vrs str with a teleport. It just disappears from your hand. I've seen that many times in comics.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm saying you should be wary of allowing a player to do it. Those STOP signs are there for a reason. Even focus killing attacks usually take several hits to finish off foci (asssuming they have more than one attribute) OR have to be pretty hefty point-wise if you go the 'dispel' route. This sounds like a very cheap way to circumvent the rules and safeguards.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it' date=' I'm saying you should be wary of allowing a player to do it. Those STOP signs are there for a reason. Even focus killing attacks usually take several hits to finish off foci (asssuming they have more than one attribute) OR have to be pretty hefty point-wise if you go the 'dispel' route. This sounds like a very cheap way to circumvent the rules and safeguards.[/quote']

In all honesty I don't think a 50 point attack that only works within 10" and requires an additional -2 to hit is cheap. You can just as easily end a fight by buying:

2" teleport, Ranged:+1/2, UAA: +1, MegaScale 1"= 1,000 km]: +1. Total cost: 14 points.

Are there issues? Yes. Does every single cause and effect need to be perfectly balanced against each other? No. It's boring if you require that, IMO.

In all honesty I don't think a 50 point attack that only works within 10" and requires an additional -2 to hit is cheap. You can just as easily end a fight by buying:

2" teleport, Ranged:+1/2, UAA: +1, MegaScale 1"= 1,000 km]: +1. Total cost: 14 points.

Are there issues? Yes. Does every single cause and effect need to be perfectly balanced against each other? No. It's boring if you require that, IMO.

...and you'd allow the megascale UAA TP, would you? Thought not.

All UAA powers require a way to circumvent them: maybe that is the answer here: I'd require something as (relatively) common as the ability to prevent the item being taken with a grab in combat. What that was would depend on the sfx of the UAA power.

...and you'd allow the megascale UAA TP' date=' would you? Thought not.[/quote']

It would depend entirely on the character. We have one character who does megascale knockback with a similar power built with flight.

All UAA powers require a way to circumvent them: maybe that is the answer here: I'd require something as (relatively) common as the ability to prevent the item being taken with a grab in combat. What that was would depend on the sfx of the UAA power.

The difference is that grab is free. You are paying points for this ability. If you're going to have a 50 ap power that costs you 10 end it should have some benefits over a free maneuver, IMO.

It would depend entirely on the character. We have one character who does megascale knockback with a similar power built with flight.

...I anticipate it doesn't do damage based on megascale movement or remove the character from play/the planet though!

The difference is that grab is free. You are paying points for this ability. If you're going to have a 50 ap power that costs you 10 end it should have some benefits over a free maneuver' date=' IMO.[/quote']

A good point well made, I am guilty of degrading the value of points overly on occasion. Mind you it is only 5 END, surely and the real cost would be less: 33 on kristopher's build and rather less if you add in a limit for 'only to teleport to your hand' and 'not against living targets' - worth probably an additional -1 between them, so the cost is now closer to 20 points. Not bad for a focus killer with additional utility.

One minor point: It's not a focus killer. It's a focus taker. You can always take the focus back. That's very different then Foxbat not being able to take back his slagged ping pong gun. :)

...quite right...of course, if it is a universal focus, you can now use it, so there are compensations....:)