Modelling Disadvantages which bestow negative Die Roll modifiers?

Dr Rotwang!

I built a character the other day who has a lot of unusual disadvantages, and it got me to thinking: there aren't any disadvantages that decrease your die rolls.

Uh...okay, here's an example. Say I want my character to be quite nimble, so I give him a high Dex. However, he's had a curse placed upon him -- he can never catch something that's been thrown at him. (This is an example only, just for illustration.) The idea is that his Dex roll would be penalized if he's trying to catch a ball that someone threw at him.

I'm not sure how to model that.

Again, the point is not to give a character the inability to play Frisbee; it's to model a Disadvantage which penalizes a roll in some way.

Anyone else butt heads with this yet?

Re: Modelling Disadvantages which bestow negative Die Roll modifiers?

For the most part I do use Limitations, but occasionally I buy, "Negative Combat Skill Levels," or, "Negative Skill Levels," that work against a character (possibly with Limitations that decrease their value) as Disadvantages. I keep them below the value of what I think a corresponding Physical Limitation would give you. This allows a finer-grained scale than the five-point Disadvantage one.

You can always take a Physical Limitation that is worth what PSLs would be if you bought them (2pts per lvl? I forget)... but:

Physical Limitation: -5 to DEX ROLL when attemptign to catch a ball. 10pts.

or simply use a Custom Disadvantage.

I built a character the other day who has a lot of unusual disadvantages' date=' and it got me to thinking: there aren't any disadvantages that decrease your die rolls.[/quote']

Actually, there is: the "Incompetence" part of the "Dependence" Disadvantage. But since you're talking about something that always applies in a given situation, I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for. It might give you a place to start when thinking about appropriate point values, though.