How much attention do you give to powers' Senses visibility rules?

zornwil

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How much attention do you give to powers' Senses visibility rules?

Will do, once the moving and unpacking are all done.

I think I'm going to give him Taste: Targetting, too....

If he can taste it, he can hit it! Why, I might even make it Ranged if I'm feeling generous!

Thanks folks.

No, mate, don't make it ranged :doi:

You have to think logically: if he's actually licking something, he knows where it is to hit it :)

No, mate, don't make it ranged :doi:

You have to think logically: if he's actually licking something, he knows where it is to hit it :)

Gamism: He's just sensing it with a non-targetting sense, and is at 1/2 OCV.

Character concept, borrowed from The Tick: Ranged 360 Degree Targetting Taste, with Discriminatory and Analyze. "I can taste the World."

Gamism: He's just sensing it with a non-targetting sense, and is at 1/2 OCV.

Character concept, borrowed from The Tick: Ranged 360 Degree Targetting Taste, with Discriminatory and Analyze. "I can taste the World."

Whilst the original was meant to be humourous, I reckon touch (if not taste) IS a targetting sense. If I have hold of someone, I am not going to be taking any OCV penalties. I can fight in the dark, while blinded, etc. Of course if I am grabbing them that effects their DCV anyway which offsets the penalties, but even a light touch would tell me where to hit without any problem, if not exactly which bit I am hitting (so increased penalties on aimed attacks, certainly). This is more the kinaesthetic sense than actual touch, or rather the two working together, but we may have discovered at least one more targetting sense here....

Whilst the original was meant to be humourous' date=' I reckon touch (if not taste) IS a targetting sense. If I have hold of someone, I am not going to be taking any OCV penalties. I can fight in the dark, while blinded, etc. Of course if I am grabbing them that effects their DCV anyway which offsets the penalties, but even a light touch would tell me where to hit without any problem, if not exactly which bit I am hitting (so increased penalties on aimed attacks, certainly). This is more the kinaesthetic sense than actual touch, or rather the two working together, but we may have discovered at least one more targetting sense here....[/quote']

By the rules, touch is not a targetting sense. I think it's a silly rule and ignore it in my campaign, but there you are.

Gamism: He's just sensing it with a non-targetting sense' date=' and is at 1/2 OCV.[/quote']

Precisely! ;) With this new construct, ACM will be able to accurately target anything in his mouth instead of just guessing!

Character concept' date=' borrowed from The Tick: Ranged 360 Degree Targetting Taste, with Discriminatory and Analyze. "I can taste the World."[/quote']

I'm torn. As the new guy, I really hate to ask a question that shows what may be an inexcusable ignorance of the board's culture, but this is like the tenth "The Tick" refference I've run across on this board. Can someone help me out here?

I'm torn. As the new guy, I really hate to ask a question that shows what may be an inexcusable ignorance of the board's culture, but this is like the tenth "The Tick" refference I've run across on this board. Can someone help me out here?

Google or Wikipedia for The Tick. Fantastic comic book Superhero parody, became a very good cartoon and a good (short-lived) live action TV series.

I'm really enjoying both sides of the discussion on the Visible SFX issue, but I've got to take a definate stand on the "Q" issue:

I disagree. "Q" was _never_ interesting....:D

Duke

Purist!:D

I prefer to view interesting as a relative term in this case.;)

Google or Wikipedia for The Tick. Fantastic comic book Superhero parody' date=' became a very good cartoon and a good (short-lived) live action TV series.[/quote']

Welllllll...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with OddHat on the live action series being good. If it had been set in the world of The Tick, I'd probably call it "good". As it was, though, two things about it really annoyed me: first, a number of the things they had the Tick say and do were very out of character (see his comments to the soda machine in episode 1) and second, they changed the names of some important supporting characters for, AFAICT, either PC-ism and/or trying to entice certain demographics. (Batmanuel? :rolleyes: Come on!)

But by all means check out the comic books and the cartoon. The cartoon does a very good job of maintaining the feel of the comic books; not surprising, when you realized Mr. Edlund had a hand in the cartoon, as well.

To my knowledge The Tick cartoon has not been released on DVD yet, so your only hope of finding it may be certain file-sharing networks. :whistle:

Heh heh heh heh---

just for the sake of discussion, I'm going to move to the other side of the line for a minute:

By the rules' date=' touch is not a targetting sense. I think it's a silly rule and ignore it in my campaign, but there you are.[/quote']

'Hat---

you ever walk up behind your buddy at an oblique and tap him on the 'wrong' shoulder?

Puts that 1/2 OCV penalty in perspective a bit, I think. ;)

Duke

Welllllll...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with OddHat on the live action series being good. If it had been set in the world of The Tick' date=' I'd probably call it "good". As it was, though, two things about it really annoyed me: first, a number of the things they had the Tick say and do were [i']very[/i] out of character (see his comments to the soda machine in episode 1) and second, they changed the names of some important supporting characters for, AFAICT, either PC-ism and/or trying to entice certain demographics. (Batmanuel? :rolleyes: Come on!)

I'd agree it was not nearly as funny as the comic or the cartoon. Still, I only got to see it on DVD, from start to finish; it was worth watching, especially the Trial and Arthur's date.

I'd love to see a complete DVD set of the cartoon.

Precisely! ;)

Just type 'The Tick' into your search engine.

Here's a starter for 10:

http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~stinerkt/Tick.html

'Hat---

you ever walk up behind your buddy at an oblique and tap him on the 'wrong' shoulder?

Puts that 1/2 OCV penalty in perspective a bit, I think. ;)

Duke

...ever used the Picard manoeuvre?

Well, me neither, but I would if I could move fast enough :)

Okay-- a quick flurry of answers:

Thanks for the head's up on The Tick; I was sort of under the impression that it was some sort of 'in' joke, and so I didn't bother googling for it. What I did find filled me with much merriment. I'm going to have to find some way to see those cartoons! (Now there's a rare thing to hear me say...)

I liked the Kirk Trek, partly because I'm old, and partly because I just don't think that you can win by talking an opponent to death, and partly because Kirk had all kinds of tech, whereas one hundred years later, everything would be resolved by 'shields.' Though I am stirred to memory of a joke an employee once told me.

First, some background. I live in Savannah, Georgia, USA, and Todd (my employee at the time) was something of an unusual persona for this area; he was a black man (he hated the term 'African American.' He'd tell you instantly that he, nor his parents, nor theirs, nor theirs, had ever had any recollection of Africa. He then proved that he was 'more American American' than I was (his family had been here longer, it seems) who loved science fiction. Unusual in this area.

He asked me once "Duke, you ever notice that the only black Vulcan is named 'Tupac?' [yes, it was an intentional mispronunciation]. I keep waiting for him to turn around and say "Captain, my Homie; suggest we modify the shields and 'bus' a cap in dey ***....."

Let me further explain that Todd was offended by the 'black' vulcan as a concept. He reasoned that Vulcans were aliens (or motorcycles), and as such it seemed extrodinary that they would look as human as they do; having the exact same races seemed dubious, and as Vulcans were supposed to have green blood, he felt that 'darker skinned Vulcans' would look more green than brown. (I never knew when he was kidding or not; he was very dry in his humor.) He also felt that he could more readily accept an alien race that was exclusively 'African American' in appearance easier than one that had all the human races represented in their own appearance.

(at this point, one of the drivers would usually come in announce that they were going to 'smack the geek out of both of us'... ;) )

And thirdly, I have no idea what the Picard manoeuvre is. Up until this very moment, I thought it was the ability to bore an enemy into submission...

:D :D :D

Please enlighten me, Sensei!

Duke

And thirdly, I have no idea what the Picard manoeuvre is. Up until this very moment, I thought it was the ability to bore an enemy into submission...

:D :D :D

Please enlighten me, Sensei!

Duke

From an early Next Generation episode called "The Battle". It involves jumping your ship to warp for a fraction of a second, just before firing on the enemy ship. The rationale behind this is that, for just that instant, your ship will appear to be in two places at once and the enemy vessel may fire on / defend against the wrong ship -- the ship that is, in essence, a still-fading sensor ghost from where your ship used to be before you jumped to warp.

It's called the "Picard Manuever" because a much-younger Picard was apparently the first one to think of it and use it against a then-unknown vessel (which later proved to be an early encounter with the Ferengi) in the Maxia system.

Thank you. I was truely surprised by Steve Longs answer, it seems he's changed him mind or forgotten how he's answered some of my questions, oh well.

Based on Steve's answer, it would seem that END Costing Powers are visible to "most if not all" senses in the three sense groups.

This is definately not how I've been running things. To go over my rules again:

1) Must be visible to the Sight Sense. Player doesn't have a choice on this one, but he can try to convince me otherwise of course.

2) Must be visible to the Hearing Sense. Player doesn't have a choice on this one, but he can try to convince me otherwise of course.

3) Must be visible to at least one sense in the Radio Group. Player gets to choose based on the SFX. I'm fairly lenient with this one, and if the player makes a good argument for another Sense Group Sense, that's ok too.

- Christopher Mullins

How were you thinking it worked prior to Steve's answer? Just curious.

From an early Next Generation episode called "The Battle". It involves jumping your ship to warp for a fraction of a second' date=' just before firing on the enemy ship. The rationale behind this is that, for just that instant, your ship will appear to be in two places at once and the enemy vessel may fire on / defend against the wrong ship -- the ship that is, in essence, a still-fading sensor ghost from where your ship [i']used to be[/i] before you jumped to warp.

It's called the "Picard Manuever" because a much-younger Picard was apparently the first one to think of it and use it against a then-unknown vessel (which later proved to be an early encounter with the Ferengi) in the Maxia system.

While that is the correct "official" definition of the "Picard Manuever" if you recall the very first episode of STNG, numerous geeks watched in anticipation of greater glory for Star Fleet and in his first televised combat encounter with the enemy, Jean Luc Picard spoke the immortal words, "We surrender" forever defining that as the Picard Manuever in the lore of geekdom.

I spend half the time I watch TNG episodes shouting at the screen 'Shields up, phasers and photon torpodoes, full spread! Kirk would have!'

Well he'd have blown them up or seduced their women, or possibly both :)

Sean totally gets the whole point of Star Trek.:D:thumbup:

While that is the correct "official" definition of the "Picard Manuever" if you recall the very first episode of STNG' date=' numerous geeks watched in anticipation of greater glory for Star Fleet and in his first televised combat encounter with the enemy, Jean Luc Picard spoke the immortal words, "We surrender" forever defining [b']that[/b] as the Picard Manuever in the lore of geekdom.

Oh, I recall it, alright. I just usually try to forget most of the first season. (Esp. Troi's giving in to / visibly "feeling" the emotions she's reading. Thank goodness that went away! :rolleyes: )

How were you thinking it worked prior to Steve's answer? Just curious.

Pretty much that you had to have at least one sense in the sense group, but with Normal Sight and Normal Hearing being the default selection that you had little control over so needed to convince the GM otherwise.

- Christopher Mullins