Double Focus Limitations

Super Squirrel

I'm working on magical spells for Easthaven Divine Magic. Divine Magic requires a Holy Symbol to cast or change spells in the Pool giving the Pool and all powers in it OAF(Holy Symbol; Difficult to Optain New Focus; -1 1/4). In one of my spells I'm making, the spell requires a second focus to cast the spell.

Is it possible to put two focuses on a spell when one comes from the VPP itself?

Re: Double Focus Limitations

I'm working on magical spells for Easthaven Divine Magic. Divine Magic requires a Holy Symbol to cast or change spells in the Pool giving the Pool and all powers in it OAF(Holy Symbol; Difficult to Optain New Focus; -1 1/4).

Normally the part about a focus being difficult to obtain only applies if your Focus is Expenable. I certainly wouldn't allow it in the case of a priest's holy symbol that is not consumed by the spell.

In general, I'd say that a multiple foci is worth the lim of the *most* restrictive Focus, and probably not any additional limitation. There are some exceptions to this, such as with the "Arrangement" limitation.

In Fantasy Hero, they got this backwards. There is an example of a magic sword and gauntlet combo. The sword is an OAF, and the gauntlet is an OIF. You need both to make the magic work. So what should the total limitation be? The FH book says it should be -1/2, the lesser of the two limitations - completely wrong, of course. It should be the greater of the two (at least), -1, since the power can be stopped with the ease of taking away an OAF. Yes, you might say that it's worth a little more than -1, since you need both foci, but probably not much more than that, maybe -1 1/4, which, from what the Duke said above, is what 5ER seems to say. (I don't have 5ER, just FREd.)

Phil---

just to put recognition where it's due, Mudpyr8 was the one quoting 5E. Duke (me :D) was the one making a light-hearted remark about why he stomped all over this thing when he first went through his FREd. As Mudpyr8 pointed out, if I pay endurance for the shots, I get additional bonuses per bullet (in a manner of speaking).

For what it's worth, we do exactly what you do: the most limited focus bonus is the bonus you recieve. If a construct is really way out there, I might consider (heavy "might" here) allow a -1/8.

-1/8 is, in my games, essentially: I don't think there's any valid reason to give you a bonus, but I am willing to give you a chance to prove it to me.