An Avengers Campaign

Mark Rand

This campaign is set in an alternate Marvel Universe that split from the mainstream universe (assuming there is one) just before the Avengers Timeslide series. There are several crossover universes in this campaign. Two, the CSI and Tremors: The Series universes are of little importance. Another, the Xenaverse may be considered minor. The Amazon tribes have survived to this day. (Amazons are women who are skilled in armed and unarmed combat, know the Greek language, both Amazon and Greek culture and customs, and worship Artemis.)

The other two, the Buffyverse, after season five of Angel, and the Jack Ryan universe, after he became President, are quite important. (The Buffyverse tells us what the world knows about the undead and the Jack Ryan universe tells us who the President is and how he became President.)

Now, to the Avengers themselves. They are Earth's best-known and most-respected team. By vote of the United Nations, they are also a world power.

The Avengers have decided to set up various branch teams to monitor trouble spots.around the world.

The Northwestern team, based in Seattle, will cover Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and parts of Canada.

The California team, based in Santa Barbara, covers California and the Western section of Mexico.

The Southwest team, based in Los Vegas, covers Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado.

The Texas team, based in Fort Worth, covers Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and the major part of Mexico.

The Souther team, based in Miami, covers Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, the Carolinas, and the West Indies.

The Great Plains team, based in Minneapolis, covers the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, and parts of Canada.

The Great Lakes team, based in Chicago, covers Illinois, Wisconson, Michigan, Indiana, and parts of Canada.

The Mid-Atlantic team, based in Pittsburgh, covers Pennsylvania, Ohio (including the Cleveland Hellmouth), Kentucky, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia.

The New England Avengers, based in New York City, cover Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and parts of Canada.

There are also to be teams in the District of Columbia, Alaska, Hawaii, England, Tokyo, and three other places.

Not all teams are completely in place yet. However, the Washington, D.C., New England, and Mid-Atlantic teams are.

The Mid-Atlantic team will be the one the PCs are in.

Re: An Avengers Campaign

And then?

How does this interact with Batman, Batgirl, and the Scooby Gang in Gotham New Jersey?

Gotham City, Batman, and Batgirl aren't in this universe. Atlantic City, the template for "The Haven", however, has two Slayers and their asociates.

Here are a few crossovers that I forgot.

Frank Miller's Sin City is set in Basin City in Southeast Colorado. It received the nickname Sin City because of the corrupt polititions and police.

Unicorn Mountain, a novel by Michael Bishop, is set in and around Snowy Falls, Colorado, a town too small to show up on most maps.

We're also taking Senator Robert Kinsey and the NID from Stargate SG-1 because they're cool bad guys.

Now, concerning how Jack Ryan became President. In Tom Clancy's books, just after he was sworn in as Vice President, an airliner crashed into the Capital Building, killing the President, the Diplomatic Corps, the Cabinet, the Supreme Court, and everyone in Congress that was there. Additionally, he and Cathy have three children.

In our version, Jack was the cabinet member that had to watch the State of the Union address from the White House, just in case something happened. Something did. Terrorists dropped a 757, full of passangers and explosives on the Capitol Building. The boom was heard, and felt, at the White House. Also, Jack and Cathy have an additional child, an older daughter, named Holly, that they adopted. She handles the big cats for The Ross Brothers Circus's main show, is the girl in the blade box and the snake charmer for the circus side show, and is married to Matt Reese,the bandleader.

In case you're wondering why the 757 wasn't shot down, the air force knew that one million pieces falling to the ground would do more damage than the plane itself would. It also happened too fast for any kind of super response.

Next, hopefully, we'll visit Pittsburgh.

Welcome to the Pittsburgh area.

Pittsburgh is a city like any other. It's the county seat of Alleghny County and has financial problems, two new stadiums, the oldest hockey arena in the NHL, and 40% of its real estate is tax-exempt.

Let's go north first.

Stark Industries has a plant up in the Cranberry Township area.

The area also boasts Pittsburgh Motor Speedway, a 2.5-mile Indy-style oval with an internal 3.194-mile internal road course with two shortcuts that let it be shortned to either, 2.700, 2.940, or 2.980-miles. The front straight doubles as a dragstrip and the owner doesn't allow amateur racing on the track at all.

Oakland, a wonderful neighborhood, is our next stop.

After the old Buhl Planetarium was shut down, Tony Stark bought the old Zeiss Mark II Planetarium Star Projector, it's console, the 10-inch, Siderostat-type, refractor telescope, the Van de Graff electrostatic generator, and the 1,000,000-volt Oudin-type Tesla coil. These things were stored in a warehouse until Tony bought the former Syria Mosque site from it's current owner and built an up to date, and code, planetarium building there and installed the equipment there. After everything was tested, the building, and everything in it, was donated to the University of Pittsburgh on the condition that it be open to the public the same times the old Buhl Planetarium was. They agreed.

More to come.

We continue with the Planetarium.

The opening sequence from Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra, better known as the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Made Contact, is played every time the Zeiss, otherwise known as Jake, comes out of its pit.

In addition to the 10-inch Siderostat telescope, the planetarium has two portable telescopes, a 6-inch refractor, and an 11-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain reflector, that, on good nights, are set up on the roof. When the Pittsburgh area has an eclipse, the 11-inch telescope is set up with a video camera connected to it and the images are available on the web and closed-circuit monitors in the building.

The folks at the Carnegie Science Center probably aren't happy that there's another planetarium in town.

To the South Side for a quick visit.

This area has many bars and night clubs. Pat's has wonderful jazz. The Jazz Angels have played there Thursday through Sunday for the past two years. Zorba's, a Greek bar, has belly dancers nightly from 8 pm until they close at 2 am. Those in the know say that some of the region's best perform there.

Still more to come.

Next, we go east.

A rural part of nearby Westmoreland County is home to the Serendipity Ranch, where developmentally disadvantaged people work with horses. The staff, medical people, social workers, horse experts, and others, all wear Western clothes, as do many of the patients.

Now, we're going south.

Washington County is home to Washington County Raceway. It has a dragstrip, a half-mile oval, a 2.66-mile road course, and a half-mile figure 8 track. The dragstrip serves as the main straight for the oval and road course. The oval's back straight is part of the road course. The figure 8 track is inside the oval.

Both the track and the Steel Cities Region of the Sports Car Club of America have Ford Mustang pace cars.

• 8 months later...
Guest Major Tom

If you think that what's been posted thus far is enough to give you a head-

ache, you should take a look at FanFiction.net when you get the chance.

There's a story called "Potentials" in the "TV Crossovers" section that not

only features Jack Ryan and Senator Kinsey, but also has characters from

Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica (TOS), CSI, Highlander

(the series), Law and Order: SVU, Stargate: SG-1, and The

X-Files. There are also parts of the story that involve interimensional

travel to the universes of, respectively, Babylon 5, Space: Above

and Beyond, Starship Troopers, and Star Trek: TNG.

It's every bit as entertaining and interesting as the various campaign ideas/

worlds that Mr. Rand has shared with us in the past.

Major Tom :cool:

The New England Avengers' date=' based in New York City, cover Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and parts of Canada.[/quote']

So, New Hampshire has managed to seceed?

If you think that what's been posted thus far is enough to give you a head-

ache, you should take a look at FanFiction.net when you get the chance.

There's a story called "Potentials" in the "TV Crossovers" section that not

only features Jack Ryan and Senator Kinsey, but also has characters from

Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica (TOS), CSI, Highlander

(the series), Law and Order: SVU, Stargate: SG-1, and The

X-Files. There are also parts of the story that involve interimensional

travel to the universes of, respectively, Babylon 5, Space: Above

and Beyond, Starship Troopers, and Star Trek: TNG.

It's every bit as entertaining and interesting as the various campaign ideas/

worlds that Mr. Rand has shared with us in the past.

Major Tom :cool:

I just checked for the story, which I've read a few times, and found that it wasn't there anymore.

This campaign is set in an alternate Marvel Universe that split from the mainstream universe (assuming there is one) just before the Avengers Timeslide series. There are several crossover universes in this campaign. Two' date=' the [i']CSI[/i] and Tremors: The Series universes are of little importance. Another, the Xenaverse may be considered minor. The Amazon tribes have survived to this day. (Amazons are women who are skilled in armed and unarmed combat, know the Greek language, both Amazon and Greek culture and customs, and worship Artemis.)

OK, First things first, I suppose. When and if I ever detail a campaign world here on the wacky world-wide web, I'm only gonna mention the big and important contributions from any sources I'm drawing on. I'm not trying to bash on your interests here, I'm just saying, if you wanna assume the casts of the various CSI shows exist in this world, more power to you. From where I sit here on my side of the web, they don't make a ripple in the average story I may tell even if I drop them into my own games. It's just interesting background flavor, y'know?

As to the Xena stuff, well, it kinda clashes with established Hercules continuity in Marvel, but whacking at it with a hammer may make it fit. We can just assume that he was vastly increased in power by his being made a full god and his fond memories of wandering the earth fighting for justice and such as a mortal cause him to wish to join the Avengers in the present day.

OTOH, this might be an excellent start point to showcase the origins of Femizonia as the continued Amazon culture eventually allows feminist scientists to engineer a super-amazon called Thundra and project her back to the 20th Century to ensure their own dominance in their timeline.

The other two, the Buffyverse, after season five of Angel, and the Jack Ryan universe, after he became President, are quite important. (The Buffyverse tells us what the world knows about the undead and the Jack Ryan universe tells us who the President is and how he became President.)

How do you intend to blend this version of vampires & Dracula with the Marvel-version? For reference on Marvel vampires, try here.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appvampi.htm

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/draculav.htm

The Dracula entry, BTW is wonderfully complete.

As a sidenote and to help with integration of varying vampire strains, also look at the comments in this entry,

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/topherrunaways.htm

As to Jack Ryan, not being any kind of fan of Tom Clancy, I got nothin'. :)

Well, on consideration, what's his stance on mutants and vampires? Those are gonna be hi-impact problems from a publicity standpoint.

Now, to the Avengers themselves. They are Earth's best-known and most-respected team. By vote of the United Nations, they are also a world power.

The Avengers have decided to set up various branch teams to monitor trouble spots.around the world.

Now we're where I can get my geek on. It would be best if they weren't given 'world power' status. Rather, give them offical operating sanction like UNITY in HERO. This reminds me, how are you handling the membership of the leaders of two sovereign nations in the Avengers? There are T'challa, King of Wakanda & Namor, King of Atlantis to consider. Are you keeping Atlantis as having only observer status in the UN? When you get down to it, it's not unlikely that the Atlanteans are considered a terrorist state owing to their repeated assaults on the "Surface World" such as their attempted invasions of New York City and various points on the East Coast. Wakanda is, however a major source of technological imports and in fact is one of the chief suppliers of equipment to the Avengers themselves over the years.

Now, are you interested in using the other national teams that hold official status in their countries? Russia has the People's Protectorate, Canada has Alpha Flight, England has Excalibur. There's a handful of others but those are the bigger guns and as such really should be included in a global superhuman agency.

As to these teams, it might be best if most of them aren't more than 3-4 members at first. That gives you the opportunity to set up two to three larger teams that can pitch in if something goes pear-shaped and three superhumans can't cope with it. Also much easier to fill in a three member team than some half dozen people per location.

Oh, and is SHIELD national or international in scope/authority in your campaign?

The Northwestern team, based in Seattle, will cover Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and parts of Canada.

Hmm, apart from drafting an Alphan or two to fill in the roster, I can't really think of any superheroes published that come from there. You'll have to wing it. Didn't Machine Man hang out around there at some point?

The California team, based in Santa Barbara, covers California and the Western section of Mexico.

Well, if you're going to reactivate the Avengers franchise out in California, the West Coast Avengers hung their hats in Avengers Compound, LA. It's already built, no need to build a different one. As to members, Nothing wrong with the classics such as Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Iron Man (or maybe War Machine if you want Tony on the East Coast), Tigra & Mockingbird (if she isn't currently dead and Living Lightning for some extra oomph. Add others to taste. Naturally, I'd make this one of the main team postings.

The Southwest team, based in Los Vegas, covers Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado.

Use Firebird and maybe add in some of the other former Rangers like Shooting Star & Texas Twister (oddly, he didn't seem to hang out in Texas much). Maybe American Eagle for some muscle and Red Wolf for the mystic angle.

Oh wait, Spider Woman II lived in Boulder. Add her.

The Texas team, based in Fort Worth, covers Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and the major part of Mexico.

Call me nutty, but this seems like a much better place to station the X-Factor team than Washington or NYC. After all, they have Forge as an associate/member/leader/whatnot and he does own a hi-tech skyscraper in Fort Worth.

The Souther team, based in Miami, covers Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, the Carolinas, and the West Indies.

Uh, maybe Razorback? Other than him, I can only think of one superhuman in those areas and that's Poison. You probably don't want a superpowered vigilante who slaughters drug dealers in the Avengers, though. Two if you move Lousiana over so we can include Captain Marvel II/Photon.

The Great Plains team, based in Minneapolis, covers the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, and parts of Canada.

There aren't too many depicted superhumans living here except the occasional mutant and such. I recommend at least one speedster just for distances involved.

The Great Lakes team, based in Chicago, covers Illinois, Wisconson, Michigan, Indiana, and parts of Canada.

Well, for better or worse, there's the current GLA. For a more serious team, Thor used to hang his helmet in Chicago. Build one around him. Oh, and all indications are that there is a Savage Dragon in almost every world. Use him if you want. http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/savdragi.htm

The Mid-Atlantic team, based in Pittsburgh, covers Pennsylvania, Ohio (including the Cleveland Hellmouth), Kentucky, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Is the Cleveland Hellmouth why Howard the Duck lives there? As an extradimensional was he drawn to this place subconsciously. I mean, heck, it'd explain Bessie the Hellcow all too well.

The New England Avengers, based in New York City, cover Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and parts of Canada.

I'm going out a a limb here and expecting this to be the one Captain America leads, right?

There are also to be teams in the District of Columbia, Alaska, Hawaii, England, Tokyo, and three other places.

Well, for the DC team, I think the redoubtable USAgent would make a decent leader. Is there anyone in Freedom Force you want to keep? Blob, Pyro, Crimson Commando, Avalanche even? I already suggested Excalibur so just handwave them in and to give them an Avengers presence, move the Black Knight over there. He and Captain Britain are old friends anyway and he plays well with others.

There's always Big Hero 6 for Japan.

As to Hawaii or Alaska, they look wide open. Maybe Pele or Taifu, formerly of the Pacific Overlords could be added to the Hawaii team.

Not all teams are completely in place yet. However, the Washington, D.C., New England, and Mid-Atlantic teams are.

The Mid-Atlantic team will be the one the PCs are in.

So, who do you have on the team?

OK, First things first, I suppose. When and if I ever detail a campaign world here on the wacky world-wide web, I'm only gonna mention the big and important contributions from any sources I'm drawing on. I'm not trying to bash on your interests here, I'm just saying, if you wanna assume the casts of the various CSI shows exist in this world, more power to you. From where I sit here on my side of the web, they don't make a ripple in the average story I may tell even if I drop them into my own games. It's just interesting background flavor, y'know?

As to the Xena stuff, well, it kinda clashes with established Hercules continuity in Marvel, but whacking at it with a hammer may make it fit. We can just assume that he was vastly increased in power by his being made a full god and his fond memories of wandering the earth fighting for justice and such as a mortal cause him to wish to join the Avengers in the present day.

OTOH, this might be an excellent start point to showcase the origins of Femizonia as the continued Amazon culture eventually allows feminist scientists to engineer a super-amazon called Thundra and project her back to the 20th Century to ensure their own dominance in their timeline.

How do you intend to blend this version of vampires & Dracula with the Marvel-version? For reference on Marvel vampires, try here.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appvampi.htm

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/draculav.htm

The Dracula entry, BTW is wonderfully complete.

As a sidenote and to help with integration of varying vampire strains, also look at the comments in this entry,

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/topherrunaways.htm

As to Jack Ryan, not being any kind of fan of Tom Clancy, I got nothin'. :)

Well, on consideration, what's his stance on mutants and vampires? Those are gonna be hi-impact problems from a publicity standpoint.

Now we're where I can get my geek on. It would be best if they weren't given 'world power' status. Rather, give them offical operating sanction like UNITY in HERO. This reminds me, how are you handling the membership of the leaders of two sovereign nations in the Avengers? There are T'challa, King of Wakanda & Namor, King of Atlantis to consider. Are you keeping Atlantis as having only observer status in the UN? When you get down to it, it's not unlikely that the Atlanteans are considered a terrorist state owing to their repeated assaults on the "Surface World" such as their attempted invasions of New York City and various points on the East Coast. Wakanda is, however a major source of technological imports and in fact is one of the chief suppliers of equipment to the Avengers themselves over the years.

Now, are you interested in using the other national teams that hold official status in their countries? Russia has the People's Protectorate, Canada has Alpha Flight, England has Excalibur. There's a handful of others but those are the bigger guns and as such really should be included in a global superhuman agency.

As to these teams, it might be best if most of them aren't more than 3-4 members at first. That gives you the opportunity to set up two to three larger teams that can pitch in if something goes pear-shaped and three superhumans can't cope with it. Also much easier to fill in a three member team than some half dozen people per location.

Oh, and is SHIELD national or international in scope/authority in your campaign?

Hmm, apart from drafting an Alphan or two to fill in the roster, I can't really think of any superheroes published that come from there. You'll have to wing it. Didn't Machine Man hang out around there at some point?

Well, if you're going to reactivate the Avengers franchise out in California, the West Coast Avengers hung their hats in Avengers Compound, LA. It's already built, no need to build a different one. As to members, Nothing wrong with the classics such as Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Iron Man (or maybe War Machine if you want Tony on the East Coast), Tigra & Mockingbird (if she isn't currently dead and Living Lightning for some extra oomph. Add others to taste. Naturally, I'd make this one of the main team postings.

Use Firebird and maybe add in some of the other former Rangers like Shooting Star & Texas Twister (oddly, he didn't seem to hang out in Texas much). Maybe American Eagle for some muscle and Red Wolf for the mystic angle.

Oh wait, Spider Woman II lived in Boulder. Add her.

Call me nutty, but this seems like a much better place to station the X-Factor team than Washington or NYC. After all, they have Forge as an associate/member/leader/whatnot and he does own a hi-tech skyscraper in Fort Worth.

Uh, maybe Razorback? Other than him, I can only think of one superhuman in those areas and that's Poison. You probably don't want a superpowered vigilante who slaughters drug dealers in the Avengers, though. Two if you move Lousiana over so we can include Captain Marvel II/Photon.

There aren't too many depicted superhumans living here except the occasional mutant and such. I recommend at least one speedster just for distances involved.

Well, for better or worse, there's the current GLA. For a more serious team, Thor used to hang his helmet in Chicago. Build one around him. Oh, and all indications are that there is a Savage Dragon in almost every world. Use him if you want. http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/savdragi.htm

Is the Cleveland Hellmouth why Howard the Duck lives there? As an extradimensional was he drawn to this place subconsciously. I mean, heck, it'd explain Bessie the Hellcow all too well.

I'm going out a a limb here and expecting this to be the one Captain America leads, right?

Well, for the DC team, I think the redoubtable USAgent would make a decent leader. Is there anyone in Freedom Force you want to keep? Blob, Pyro, Crimson Commando, Avalanche even? I already suggested Excalibur so just handwave them in and to give them an Avengers presence, move the Black Knight over there. He and Captain Britain are old friends anyway and he plays well with others.

There's always Big Hero 6 for Japan.

As to Hawaii or Alaska, they look wide open. Maybe Pele or Taifu, formerly of the Pacific Overlords could be added to the Hawaii team.

So, who do you have on the team?

I came up with this idea in September of 2005,and I haven't done much with it since Christmass of 2005.

Ah. I see. Maybe you should set it up as a PBEM game.

Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of PBEM games. I prefer running a face to face game.

Onward. I agree with your comments about the characters from CSI.

As far as vamps go, it's quite possible that there are more than one kindin the world. Oh, the Cleveland Hellmouth is actually in a remote corner of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The new Watchers Council is based in London with branch offices in Rome, Rio, and Acron, the closest city to the Hellmouth. (Vi, Rona, and Shannon are the resident Slayers.)

Jack Ryan doesn't have a problem with mutants. However, he has asked the Secret Service to take steps to deal with undead threats to his security. (Presumably, Riley Finn has briefed Homeland Security, the department the Secret Service is part of, about such threats.)

The Avengers were made a world power, by the U.N., if I remember correctly, before the timeslide incident. Of course, they could simply be a U.N.-sanctioned team.

I'm not sure about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s status. I think they're national, not international.

The Avengers recruit people from all over the world and let them decide, within reason, where they'll go.

The Pittsburgh team consists, so far, of Doctor Arcane, a mage with a western screach owl, named Amber, as his familiar, and Knight, a woman armed and armored as a Waterdeep City Guard. The team's only reservist, is Black Scorpion, a ninja. The woman behind the mask is Keiko Nishigawa, the team's technical manager.

Getting to the crime scene is always important. Besides the Quinjets and Skymobiles are other methods of transportation. Black Scorpion relies on her Scorpionmobile, a modified Lamborghini Murcielago, while Knight prefers Starshine, her white pegasus, who resides in a pocket reality.