Genetically engineered humans

Mad_Ernie

I have a question for the board on how to do something in terms of boosting a superheroic character's characteristic stats in the most cost effective manner.

The original issue was that I have a player who wanted to create a genetically engineered super-human (like Khan from Star Trek) using an elemental control to build his characteristic stats. He invoked the "werewolf and vampire" examples as justification for doing this. I read the 5th ed rules and by my reading, I said it was no dice. :lol: Steve Long confirmed this for me and said I should post my remaining questions here.

Does anyone see any way this could be done in a relatively 'cheap' fashion? I tried giving an example by boosting each characteristic of interest using nanite implants (IIF). Not exactly the same thing, but it appeared to get the job done in terms of stats. I also said if he were to do this, the final cost of each improved stat could only come 1/2 from the implants; the other half he had to make up by buying them in the normal cost way, e.g., a 30 STR would have to be gained by 10 pts the normal way and 10 could come from the IIF. If it was an OIF, I might be willing to allow more points to come from the device.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mad_Ernie

:cool:

Re: Genetically engineered humans

To me this is more like a "Racial Package" similar to an Elf or a Dwarf. So this character would get the benefits of being a super human (ie better statistical bonuses) but would also get the drawbacks (ie pre-set disadvantages)

As to make the stats cheaper, I can't think of how to do that. I know how to do it if it was an exoskeleton or some sort of booster. But straight up stat increase without having it linked to something it is nearly impossible when the powers are innate.

As a side note you might be able to give him a "Power" of Aid to his own characteristics. This would give him an increase when needed and appear superhuman.

Can the nanotech be removed from the body when the character is unconcious without major surgery? If the answer is no then it isn't an IIF.

The genetcally engineered human is only a special effect of his powers as far as I can see not a limitation in itself.

You can have a few disadvantages from that but no limitaions spring instantly to mind.

As far as I'm concerned "Genetically Engineered Human" is simply the SFX behind very high stats - no cost break unless there's an actual limitation there.

STR 30 - Genetically Enhanced Muscles

DEX 30 - Genetically Enahcned Nervous System

BODY/CON - 30 - Genetically Enhanced Skeletal System

on down the line. Ask yourself, and the player, what limitation is available that allows for a cost break.

Also, tell him per 5ER you're not allowing Characterisitcs in an EC. It's book legal that he now can't get that much of a cost break on an EC Racial Package. That construct is best reserved for things like "All Vampire Regnerate" or "All Werewolves have Claws" but not "I'm Genetically Enhanced."'

Edit: And for "IIF: Nanotech" remind him that he now has given you permission to have a Science Villian who happened upon the Codes required to Shut Down His Body. Focus' can be taken away in more ways than just removing them from the characters possession...

Can the nanotech be removed from the body when the character is unconcious without major surgery? If the answer is no then it isn't an IIF.

The genetcally engineered human is only a special effect of his powers as far as I can see not a limitation in itself.

You can have a few disadvantages from that but no limitaions spring instantly to mind.

Alibear:

I see what you mean. I was thinking of making him take a mandatory disadvantage of vulnerability to magnetic fields if he went with the nanite idea. Imagine if this guy were unconscious and a physician thought he needed an MRI for diagnosis. YEESH! That could get messy!

Thanks,

Mad_Ernie

To me this is more like a "Racial Package" similar to an Elf or a Dwarf. So this character would get the benefits of being a super human (ie better statistical bonuses) but would also get the drawbacks (ie pre-set disadvantages)

As to make the stats cheaper, I can't think of how to do that. I know how to do it if it was an exoskeleton or some sort of booster. But straight up stat increase without having it linked to something it is nearly impossible when the powers are innate.

As a side note you might be able to give him a "Power" of Aid to his own characteristics. This would give him an increase when needed and appear superhuman.

That's how I saw it, too, Tiree.

Thanks for the Aid suggestion. I will toss that back to him as a suggestion.

Mad_Ernie

I don't recall what Star Hero has, but I would like to think it does.

A while back, when I first started 5e, I believe I made a mistake of putting Stats under an Elemental Control by having the stats be nanites. It was a high powered game, and survivability was not looking good from the stories the GM was telling me. But he allowed the character - grudgingly. Would I make the character the same way again? No.

As for being susceptable to Magnetic Attacks, what do you think the nanites do in the body? My view is this - they are there to make the characters stronger and quicker by repairing the muscles and bones, making the body a finely tuned machine. If the nanites get hit by an EMP attack, they might shut down, but the effects are still there. If you have the character with a healing ability, that might turn off. Possibly the stats might start to fade at some time based on useage and body damaging itself and the nanites can't repair it, to keep it at top physical condition.

But the nanites should reset, and turn themselves back on so there would be a limited amount of down time.

Primary Characteristics (specificaly Dex, Body, Str, & Con) are in a real way already a form of framework (This in my opinion is why characteristics in frameworks, which is legal with GM permision requires the "No figured Characteristic" disad)

Now one thing to consider is that the characteristics might have a -1/4 restrainable limitation on them if there is some enviromental condition that could rob the character of his abilities (This is how I like to wirte up superman's Kryptonite problem)

And for "IIF: Nanotech" remind him that he now has given you permission to have a Science Villian who happened upon the Codes required to Shut Down His Body. Focus' can be taken away in more ways than just removing them from the characters possession...

Now that's just...evil! :D

I'm looking for a way to play devil's advocate here and think of some way I might allow this, but I really don't see it. At most I might waive the normal characteristic maximums, but if you're already in a supers game you're probably not using them anyway.

The way I normally handle players who want to get something for nothing is to remind them that "a limitation that doesn't limit the character isn't worth any points." Your player has thought up a plausible explanation for how his character has a 30 STR, but it's just SFX unless it limits him in some way compared to another character who just really works out a lot.

As far as "genie" package deals, some thoughts on disads:

- Vulnerability/Susceptibility to _______: especially if the technology is new, and they haven't quite got all the bugs worked out yet. The player may not even know what the ____ is at first.

- Dependance: if some kind of regular "supplements" are required to keep the enhancements working.

- Enraged/berserk: if the technology screws with a character's head.

- Psych Lims: ditto.

- Physical Limitation: if the technology screws with the character's body in some way. This could be anything from colorblindness or loss of sense of smell, to selling back some inches of running, to more severe limitations.

- Social Lim, subject to discrimination: if there's prejudice against genies in your world.

- Distincitve Looks: if there's something obvious about all genies, like bulging foreheads, green hair, or whatever.

- Hunted/Watched: if there's some society, gov't or otherwise, that specifically monitors or hunts down genies.

Obviously, I don't know what would fit in your campaign, but it seems like there are plenty of ways you could run with this.

bigdamnhero

"We're gonna die!"

"Think positive!"

"We're gonna die quickly!"