Highest level Champions game you could play?

Snake Gandhi

Re: Highest level Champions game you could play?

Another idea is to have characters who "scale up"--some of the dragonball characters can "boost" themselves to higher and higher levels, but start at a level that's not too insane.

This is how I usually build Cosmic 350 point characters. A base set of powers in the 12DC / 30 Def range, and a temporary power boost or synergistic power set, usually with increased END cost, in a MP.

I tend to think that if the characters arrive at the level organically (through experience), it could go on indefinitely, because you're always compensating for something with your points and rounding out your character. I mean, if the last two fights you had problems seeing your opponent due to darkness, you'd tend to buy IR or similar sense. I tend to think it's like that all the way up the chart.

If, however, you're just building a character to play in an 800pt game, I think you'd have a hard time in a pre-existing campaign of that level. You're bound to have major gaps that are regularly exploited, whether it's intentional by the GM or not.

I don't see an upper limit.

Points do not equate power, although many times they do.

I've built 750/800 point characters that only have a damage cap of about 15d6, and a defence in the same range... lots of points spent on expensive "color" powers, skills lots of talents... and could easily dump another 1000 points into the character over the years without breaking character concpet.

Then after that point going cosmic would take that much more..... so I don't see a point where point level itself would cut things off... it would just depend on the game - as assault said - if everyone looks like the Surfer it just doesn't work.

I agree whole-heartedly! My campaign ranges from 350 to well over 1000 and still even the highest point characters do not exceed my AP limits (100 pts.) for offensive powers unless it is within the character's concept. I keep DEF's down to something reasonable (at least to me), 25 to 35 range and limit DEX to 35 except for a speedster. The primary selling point to me with Hero is the power to do anything with a character and to me that means 'color' powers. My limiting of the higher point characters also makes it possible for a beginner at 350 to feel like they are actually useful and not overshadowed by the more experienced in the group. When I actually get a chance to play my own character, Ghost Archer, I find myself limiting what I do so that I don't take over a game and make it boring for others.

One thing I have had trouble with in a campaign I am playing run by one of my player, is MY experience with not only playing but character design. Some of the powers I have designed for my speedster make it horribly easy for me to stop many of the GM's little plots, especially his combat tactics. Unfortunately he started making up stuff to stop me for playing my character the way I want to play him and pi$$ed me off to the point of dropping out of the campaign. I couldn't totally escape as one of the other players kept begging me to come back to help the team and because of the character's personality, I would give in.

Sorta showed me points ain't everything. Imagination is more important than intelligence. :thumbup:

I tend to think that if the characters arrive at the level organically (through experience), it could go on indefinitely, because you're always compensating for something with your points and rounding out your character. I mean, if the last two fights you had problems seeing your opponent due to darkness, you'd tend to buy IR or similar sense. I tend to think it's like that all the way up the chart.

If, however, you're just building a character to play in an 800pt game, I think you'd have a hard time in a pre-existing campaign of that level. You're bound to have major gaps that are regularly exploited, whether it's intentional by the GM or not.

The solution to that, IMO, is to "artificially grow" the PC. It would take a while, but you start where the campaign started, and then add 10-15 pts, figure out where you'd put them, add another 10-15 pts, and so on. I'd recommend taking a look at any info the GM or other players have about the campaign history, so you can get a good idea of the setting.

the highest powered game I have ever played in was characters with a real cost of 500-600 points, but an active cost of almost double that.This was a 4e game, but I think each of us had at least one power with a +2 variable advantage. It became fairly ludicrous, because it was very hard for anyone to stay hidden long enough to threaten the world.

I only have two characters in my repertoire that could hit the 800+ mark, I think. Magni is the Norse god of strength, and heir to Mjolnir. I made him originally for 500, but that was without the hammer. A full powered version (which I never actually wrote up) could well be 800+.

Paradox is a duplicating teleporter. Not an offensive powerhouse, but he has a vast array of powers and effects. I haven't tried to create him in 5th yet, but I remember running out of points quickly in 4th games without getting half of the effect I wanted. I might try to write him up and see what his point totals would be.

On the other hand, Crisis is an Ultra-Boy homage, and while I could do an 800+ version, it seems to defeat the purpose of the necessarily limited power.

I am currently running a group that is 750 base plus 150 disadvantages and I do not feel there is too much in the way of 'god' characters . My own PC is built on this with about 1400 XP. Using energy against him is impossible , mental defenses are alos high but only has 15 res physical coupled with 50 % damage reduction. So against bricks he does not fair that well. I am running a futuristic style game set in Bab 5 timeline with the adddition of the Andromeda galaxy and using Galactic Champs as basis. So far no probs, similar adventures as norm CU just higher points and galactic scale instead of planet wide.