Turakian: Indusharan and women - typo / errata?

arcady

Re: Turakian: Indusharan and women - typo / errata?

I guess we need to get those Indusharan women out picketing on the streets. ;)

I note the reference to a plurality of spouses says its dependent on shattri (and wealth). The other reference is stated in the form of a (very) general rule. As such' date=' it could be that this statement provides an exception to a general rule. A woman of great wealth and sufficiently distinguished caste (I'm assuming that's the rough translation) might be able to have multiple husbands while women of lower shattris, or even the same shattri but not enough wealth (esp. if wealth equates to influence and power), might not be able to get away with it. This could, of couse, be entirely wrong, but its one possible textual interpretation that reconciles the two seemingly conflicting statements without being overly forced or spinning it too hard.[/quote']

Exactly the point I made when I resurrected the thread; but as usual, expressed more eloquently than I did. :king:

Sure it does. You said that women had the same rights as men prior to 1920. You agree here that the right to a trial by a jury of your peers is an important one. The latter is right women were denied' date=' which is why they fought for the right to sit on juries. You can either have the first statement or the second, but not both, as they are mutually exclusive.[/quote']

So a man can't be the "peer" of a woman?

"It's a privilege, not a right!" was one of the rallying calls of those who sought to deny the right to vote to women and Non-whites as well.

It doesn't matter what they said. A bank loan is not a right.

According to you the right to open your own bank account, to have a driver's licence, to drive a car, to be able to buy property ... these things are not actually rights?

That's correct. None of those are rights.

Then I guess women in Saudia Arabia have the same rights as men. Huh, who'da thunk.

Not even close.

I'm sorry I said anything. I'm done.

Not even close.

Don't blame Markdoc - you painted yourself into that corner.

I'm sorry I said anything. I'm done.

Too bad. You're being given the opportunity to learn something.

Lucius Alexander

You can lead a palindromedary to school, but you can't make it think.

So a man can't be the "peer" of a woman

Can a man live exactly the same life as a woman?

I think possibly you need to expand your definition of what a peer is. I certainly would want a mixed sex jury for any trial I was in. I would hate to be tried only by a female jury - no defence lawyer would stand for that kind of bias. Ideally I would want the closest peers I could find - weighting them towards my sex, age, social status, income and occupation.

If I were female, I would want the majority of the jury to also be female. For exactly the same reasons.

Well, I went to page 170 from Turakian Age where the thread starter, arcady, drew his quotation from about the restrictions of women's rights in Indusharan society (which I really should have done in the first place) :o ; and I found on the same page what looks like the "official" loopholes to that apparent paradox, and to Hermit's concern over Vashkoran priestesses:

"Of course, in many cases the laws relax somewhat for women of power -- priestesses, the daughters of nobility, wizardesses, and the like. Even in Vashkor, such women enjoy a little leeway... but not much."

"Similarly, the laws tend to be less strictly observed in large cities with extensive populations of outlanders or significant foreign contact."

OTOH, in most other parts of Ambrethel, "women enjoy most legal protections, and can pursue most professions as opportunity allows." There is some regional variation to these legal rights. Moreover, "in Tyrandium and the Sirrenic Empire, and among the Elves, women have the same status as men in all legal respects."

Well that certainly isn't true. Women had all the same rights as men except for one - the right to vote. At least in the US.

it's even more complex than that.

Womens rights fluxuated from the 1600's to the 1920's women could vote at points in New York prior to the 20's but it was lost for various social reasons.