Medium

NuSoardGraphite

Hey guys!

I was wondering how some of you do the powers of a Medium. More specifically, the ability of a Medium to open their Psyche and allow spirits/entities to speak through them.

Now, Mediums that can find spirits on their own is easy: Mind Link (only to communicate with Spirits) and Mind Scan (only vs Spirits) both with Trandimensional (so they can reach spirits on the "other side") works for that, but how do you simulate a Medium that opens themself up and an entity talks through them....

Summon comes to mind, but I'm not so sure about that...maybe with No consciouss control?

Re: Medium

Are you looking for a power form the end of the player or are you looking for the spirit end.

I would do it as "Transmit Message from a Spirit, NCC (Can Activate But Not Control Outcome, -1), Concentration (0 DCV Throughout; Unaware)"

Hmm...write it up as an enhanced sense....

I like it!

I'm not sure I like it. I mean, it seems to be stretching the definition of 'enhanced sense' to include being able to 'read' information in the mind of a deceased person...it is like saying 'KS: Stuff dead people know 14-'.

Personally I would go with your original thought: summon. Stick on appropriate limitations like RSR to simulate the difficulty of finding and binding and some sort of limitation that you can't act while the spirit is occupying you.

If spirits are really common then you might go with mind scan and telepathy. This is probably the best way, unless you want the process to be real straightforward.

The only other thing I could think of was a VPP multiform: basically you can take on new minds - actually become the spirit for a while.

Humourous aside: the essential power for a medium is 50 points of double hardenned power defence v size adjustment powers :)

My first thought is a limited form of clairsentience' date=' actually. You're really trying to get info on what happened where and when. NCC probably works here, too.[/quote']

I know what I said above about not liking using enhanced senses, but this could just work....assuming you are after observational data not thoughts and opinions.

I did a variant on this that might work for you.

Try Clairsentience (precog, retrocog, clairvoyance, whatever) only through the senses of the spirit. In my particular case it was for speaking with the dead and was a retrocog power. Tack on the advantages and limitations you think appropriate (I think the NCC, concentration pair that Squirrel suggested are probably right).

You could also do the same thing with Telepathy or Mind Link depending on the exact SFX you want. The question I would ask as the GM would be "What is the spirit going to say?" Is this intended to give me a hook for campaign stuff so the only time it comes into play is when I as the GM want to pass along information? Is this just precog/retrocog as per the character in the TV show of the same name? Are you going to allow the other characters to hold a meaningful dialog with the spirit while it is possessing you?

Ah, the character says everything that comes through their Mind Link, and transmits everything they sense through it the other way? If they are purposefully giving themselves up for the purpose, I see no reason to make a Mind Control out of it or anything. At the most it might be worth a small Side Effect on the Mind Link that only happens in specific circumstances.

You're thinking too hard, I believe. I should know; I do it all the time. :)

Well, you've got a specific SFX in mind, but it is not clear at the moment what it is. Following the same logic as "A limitation which is not limiting is worth no points" you have to ask how the PC is going to use this.

"I open myself to possession. What happens?"

"Nothing, no spirits seem to take notice."

Ok, that's very different from

"I open myself up hoping that the spirit of this dead body will come through and vent about how they were killed."

My retrocog was designed quite specifically because I was "asking the spirit what they saw and compeling an answer from it". As a result, I got to see what it saw.

If your PC is just going to say, "Any spirit in the neighborhood can possess me and speak through me," then I'd call it a disad and give them points because I'd have them wandering down the street waving at invisible phantoms and speaking in tongues sometimes.

It's the same reasoning behind asking, "I have a player who wants to throw a cone of ice over there. How do I build it?" The answer could be Energy Blast, Entangle, Environment Control or some combination depending on what you intend to do with "ice over there".

Let me clarify the SFX a bit.

First, the characters medium powers have both an "active" and a "passive" role. The character can, through concentration and ritual, actively seek out the spirit of a specific individual, even if that individual has passed on to the spirit world. The character can also sense spirits and supernatural entities in their vincinity without concentrating (easily done with Enhanced Senses).

For the passive aspects, the character is a "Spirit Magnet" and is attractive to spirits. Spirits can spontaneously communicate through the medium, in which case, the medium is not in control of his actions at that time (he is however, aware of whats going on, what's being said). The negative side effect of this ability is that malevolent or mischievous spirits can attempt a full possesion and attempt to control the characters actions, which he can fight, so some small degree. The character can close himself off to supernatural frequencies, but this requires a small bit of concentration and is not his "natural" state. His conciousness wants to be open to supernatural energies...

Think of the kid from the Sixth Sense. Spirits were attracted to him, because he could see and interact with them on a social level (as opposed to a physical one, which is impossible for the ghost..usually) which many of them desired.

The active portion of the power is easily done via Mind Link (communicate with spirits) and Mind Scan (Seek spirits). The passive portion is not so obvious. Clairsentience is a good idea, but this will probably be simply an aspect of being able to mind link with spirits and a part of the way some spirits communicate (by sending sensory information)

I've considered a vulnerability to Telepathy and/or Mind Link (Possession), but these don't seem quite right.

What I'm leaning toward right now is a seperate Mind Link from the Active one. This one is No Consciouss Control, meaning that any spirit who comes into "LOS" of the character can initiate a dialogue through that "open" Mind Link...the character has no control over this whatsoever (he can't "turn it off" per se) but he does have some small amount of Mental Defense that will protect him from Posession attempts (or attempts of the Spirit to delve into his psyche via Telepathy or Mental Illusion) but they can always enter into a communicative level of Telepathy via the Mind Link.

Yeah. Sounds a little more like a Susceptibility and/or Vulnerability to me. Maybe even a Physical Limitation.

EDIT: BTW, I forget how it's worded in the book, but I don't require Vulnerabilities to be taken purely on the basis of Powers. I would certainly accept, "possession attacks," "spirit attacks," or whatever. It doesn't have to be, "Mind Control," or, "Telepathy."

Well, the reason I think it should be written up as a Power as opposed to a Disadvantage is that it can be beneficial for a character and used as a plot hook for the GM. Friendly and benevolent spirits could use the open Mind Link to warn the character of impending danger or give him a clue to solve a mystery. Or choose to reveal to him an important scene (via Clairsentience)

What may be best is to write up the open Mind Link, then put the Side Effects limitation on the Mind Link, with the Side Effect being a vulnerability to Posession attacks.

Hmmm...what do you think?

Well, the reason I think it should be written up as a Power as opposed to a Disadvantage is that it can be beneficial for a character and used as a plot hook for the GM. Friendly and benevolent spirits could use the open Mind Link to warn the character of impending danger or give him a clue to solve a mystery. Or choose to reveal to him an important scene (via Clairsentience)

What may be best is to write up the open Mind Link, then put the Side Effects limitation on the Mind Link, with the Side Effect being a vulnerability to Posession attacks.

Hmmm...what do you think?

I think the character has both. Mind Link and a Disadvantage. But do as you will. :)

** Sorry, you guys forged ahead while I was typing, more below **

So, I see no advantage to the PC in this passive portion. I can't see charging points for it then.

Build it as a pair of disads.

Disadvantage: Distinctive Features (Known Medium, +10 or +15), cannot be concealed, minor inconvenience, only in some cultures (spirits).

Disadvantage: Enraged (i.e. out of control but not a threat to teammates), how often and how easily can the PC break the possession?

This will allow you (or the GM) to abstract all the spirits and interactions. The frequency and the suceptibility can be determined up front and abstracted as well.

Building it as an open Mind Link will make it more difficult for the PC to do anything to turn it off.

You might also want to explore simpler weaknesses as well. What's the difference between a spirit and a mentalist who is astrally projecting or any mentalist for that matter? Maybe the character is simply suceptible to EGO combat and takes Mental Defense with the limitation costs END (so he could fight things off by expending the effort). Heck, you could take the limitation "only from disembodied minds" on the weakness to limit it more closely to spirits.

As a PC I am going to resent the GM asking me to spend points so he has a plot hook. As for the helpful portion, that's why he has the active portion. He's already paid for that. The passive is not doing anything but hindering the PC or giving the GM a toy. I still say it's a disad of some kind.

I think the character has both. Mind Link and a Disadvantage. But do as you will. :)

I'm thinking you might be right. The Active portion is Mind Link/Mind Scan. The Passive portion a Disad. A combination of Distinctive Features and Vulnerability.

Could a "Watched" limitation apply in this case? unhappy spirits may actively seek out the character to help them with their problems...

• 2 weeks later...

Buy "Contact: Spirit Guide"

And then assume the Contact has the skills or whatever to locate other spirits. Of course, that works only if you want your medium to be the kind that has a specific Spirit Guide. For a Shaman, it could be Totem Animal, etc.

Lucius Alexander

Insert funny palindromedary tagline here.