Shared Powers by Heroes of Common Origin

Agent X

Okay, so some old buddies are gonna play in a game I'm going to Co-GM. They really surprised us. We thought it would be a pretty conventional superteam gets together to face a common threat. Instead, these guys come up with the idea of running characters who all share a common origin.

One of the characters is literally the source of the "radiation accident" that gives the whole group their powers. He previously had suffered an origin that placed him in a coma.

Here's the wrinkle. They have themed powers that are superhero physics-wise associated with each other.

What's the problem I am asking for help with?

They want to be able to ramp each other's powers up. They also want the team to have certain powers that requires concerted action by 2 or more of the team.

Basically, they can shunt power to one or more members of the team but one PC can not shunt power to more than one other PC. So, this team of 350 point characters could theoretically shunt enough power to ONE member of the team so that they could duke it out with, say, Firewing.

How would you build this? With the need for certain powers to be only possible if enough PCs combine efforts it's not just a simple aid with advantages. I'm thinking VPP but what do you guys think?

P.S. Oh, and before folks comment on whether this is a good idea or not: I like the idea and I've run Champions for nearly 15 years so I'm not really worried if someone else doesn't like the idea.

Re: Shared Powers by Heroes of Common Origin

There was a thread similar to this before where people were trying to simulate powers from games like Chrono Trigger. I can't recall where the thread was but a search on "chrono trigger" might get you something.

A question, will they have flexibility in powers or just one or two powers that they can use only as a group?

There was a thread similar to this before where people were trying to simulate powers from games like Chrono Trigger. I can't recall where the thread was but a search on "chrono trigger" might get you something.

A question, will they have flexibility in powers or just one or two powers that they can use only as a group?

I'm only going to allow a short list. At least at first. There are 7 PCs so I was thinking they could boost 1 PC up by 70 AP in one of their powers OR they could buy a 70 AP power from a short approved list.

If that turned out to be too much we would lower the AP and just explain that their powers are stabilizing after their origin.

It would probably require a handwave of the AP limits but can't everyone just buy their power Usable By Other and have a limited number of people who count as Other? Just the members of the Voltron team would qualify.

Or I suppose the comatose person could have bought all the powers UBO and he passes them around through directions conveyed through Mind Scan or Mind Link communication. Then someday he can wake up or be possessed and repossess all the abilities to make an uber-baddie.

Aid seems the way to go, perhaps with limitations like "only useable on a teammate." I'd go standard effect, and maybe charges. Character A ramps Character B's aid, who in turm ramps C, etc.

Or maybe some sort of shared VPP. Not sure how "Book legal" it would be, but a VPP that each character contributes points, and has the limitation can only be used by one character at a time.

Or maybe each character has a VPP with the "useable by others" advantage.

Aid seems the way to go, perhaps with limitations like "only useable on a teammate." I'd go standard effect, and maybe charges. Character A ramps Character B's aid, who in turm ramps C, etc.

Or maybe some sort of shared VPP. Not sure how "Book legal" it would be, but a VPP that each character contributes points, and has the limitation can only be used by one character at a time.

Or maybe each character has a VPP with the "useable by others" advantage.

I've thought about using a standard effect succor (I don't want to worry about fade rates) that the characters only get the benefit of the first "roll" on. I'd have to ignore that rule in the book about AP limits from two or more adjustment powers.

It may be easier just using a shared VPP. I'm not really that concerned whether it's legal or not.

I'm just trying to see if there is something I'm missing.

It would probably require a handwave of the AP limits but can't everyone just buy their power Usable By Other and have a limited number of people who count as Other? Just the members of the Voltron team would qualify.

Or I suppose the comatose person could have bought all the powers UBO and he passes them around through directions conveyed through Mind Scan or Mind Link communication. Then someday he can wake up or be possessed and repossess all the abilities to make an uber-baddie.

I'm worried about the complexity of the UBO arrangement. I'd pretty much have to ignore a rule or two to go that way because they will be able to access powers collectively that none of them have individually.

If I'm going to have to waive rules I'll probably just go with a shared VPP.

Here's an idea, maybe.

If they can only boost one given power of another character, like say one persons EB, anothers DEF, etc.. and only one at a time. Have each character buy a MP, each slot is the added AP of the Power (+2D6EB for example) with a specific UBO (maybe at a lesser advantage cost). then the GM just has to hand wave the adding issue and stating when the Given Character has the +2D6 it's a bonus on their normal EB.

If they can boost any given power of any single other member then a VPP may be the best way to go.

Here's an idea, maybe.

If they can only boost one given power of another character, like say one persons EB, anothers DEF, etc.. and only one at a time. Have each character buy a MP, each slot is the added AP of the Power (+2D6EB for example) with a specific UBO (maybe at a lesser advantage cost). then the GM just has to hand wave the adding issue and stating when the Given Character has the +2D6 it's a bonus on their normal EB.

If they can boost any given power of any single other member then a VPP may be the best way to go.

Yeah, I think the VPP is going to have be it. I've even considered allowing them to make power skill rolls to use the VPP to do things they haven't written up beforehand.

I think the VPP write-up would look something like this:

70 AP VPP, +1 No Skill Roll to change slots, +1/2 Only 1/2 Phase to change, -0 Only appropriate Energy SFX, -0 Each PC controls 10 AP of the power, +2 can use the AP to enhance any power the character has

Something like 70 + 35 x 4.5 or 228 points divided by 7 for a cost of 33 points for each character.

Team Powers in VPP

Teleport Gate: Requires at least 4 PCs + PC X

Cosmic Awareness: Requires all 7 PCs

etc.

This is very rough but I'll flesh it out as I stare at the rulebook.

Normally, I expect them to just use their share to boost their personal offense, defense, or movement. I might build in a teamwork roll and a power skill roll for them to be able to shunt their share back and forth and to do the weird stuff that none of the characters can do alone.

Does everybody's attacks have the same SFX? If so, you could have everybody buy there stuff Personal Immunity and rule that identical SFX means they are also immune to each others powers.

Why?

So then you can just have each character buy Absorption versus that SFX. They help each other simply by shooting each other. Or at least, the SFX of the maneuver can be they fuel each others powers, but the game mechanic is that they just shoot each other.

Alternately, an Aid/Succor in each of their attack multipowers would work. Or some modification of the Crew Served Limitation for heavy weapons.

Does everybody's attacks have the same SFX? If so, you could have everybody buy there stuff Personal Immunity and rule that identical SFX means they are also immune to each others powers.

Why?

So then you can just have each character buy Absorption versus that SFX. They help each other simply by shooting each other. Or at least, the SFX of the maneuver can be they fuel each others powers, but the game mechanic is that they just shoot each other.

That is so beautiful and evil, Dust Raven. I love that a lot.

Why?

Alternately, an Aid/Succor in each of their attack multipowers would work. Or some modification of the Crew Served Limitation for heavy weapons.

Their powers are themed but not the same and it's a very broad theme. It's a comic book notion of the Unified Field Theory. They are going to call themselves Uni-Force, last I heard.

I think they are going for an FF feel.

A possible' date=' cheaper way to do this than by VPP is a multipower with Crew Driven and a Common -1 Limitation (Only Usable With Specific Person).[/quote'] I'm unfamiliar with Crew Driven. Is it mentioned in FRED unrevised?

No, it isn't in Fifth Revised unfortunately. I first saw it mentioned in VIPER. It is, however, in Hero Designer if you use that. Basically, Crew-Served is a limitation that requires more than one person is necessary to use.

Oh wait, it is in Fifth Revised on page 306 but it is under Requires Multiple Users.

-1/4 for 2 people and -1/2 for 3 or 4 people being required.

No, it isn't in Fifth Revised unfortunately. I first saw it mentioned in VIPER. It is, however, in Hero Designer if you use that. Basically, Crew-Served is a limitation that requires more than one person is necessary to use.

Oh wait, it is in Fifth Revised on page 306 but it is under Requires Multiple Users.

-1/4 for 2 people and -1/2 for 3 or 4 people being required.

I've got the Viper book. I'll stare at it hard and make it whimper.

I don't have Fifth Revised but I do have a buddy who does.

Now I'm wondering.

I would let a PC buy a VPP on a focus, let's use a Green Lantern Ring as an example. If he chose, I would allow him to loan it to a teammate.

I would also let players pool points to buy such a focus that only one could use at a time.

So could there be an "intangable focus," same as the pass around power ring without the focus limitation?

How would you write that up?

Now I'm wondering.

I would let a PC buy a VPP on a focus, let's use a Green Lantern Ring as an example. If he chose, I would allow him to loan it to a teammate.

I would also let players pool points to buy such a focus that only one could use at a time.

So could there be an "intangable focus," same as the pass around power ring without the focus limitation?

How would you write that up?

-0 Limitation Draws power from the Nth Device/Force

commentary: Certain villains with certain SFX could block access to the Nth Whatever or Access it for their own purposes

Now, we're talking here about powers that can only be used if more than one PC links with others and any PC might be the point man while the others simply act as boosters to the power, yes?

One way I've done this before is using duplication where the PC's are essentially duplicates and there is a character sheet for the big combine.

This might still be a workable way - see how much the uber-PC would cost with duplication where it could get the characters as played and split the duplication cost among the various members.

You could then have a series of character sheets that represent the abilities of a combination of two characters, or three or four or them all together (I'd handwave the costs of having this variety - they've paid for the duplication -though I suppose you could buy the duplication with variable special effects).

The more work you wanted to do the more specific you could be about the effects of various Members combining with others. Frex, the fireguy combines with the brick and they get bonus powers with a heat motif, or the magnetic guy combines with the Fireguy and you get a plasma motif.

Doc