Drawing Super characters.

Freeway66

After playing champions for half my life, I have decided to try and learn how to draw. I have a few books on drawing the human form, and I have how to draw comics the Marvel way.

My question is to those that are not artistically challenged, like myself. How long did it take most of you to learn how to draw? I can really only put in about 30 minutes an evening, four times a week, to practicing. Sometimes I can practice for an hour. I used to have trouble just drawing stick figures.

I don't want to be Jim Lee. I would be happy if I could draw like Rob Liefield (I just had to say that because of that Teen Titans thread). But if it's going to take me a long time to even be slightly good, I am afraid that I will have to give up, and keep using either Heromachine.

Re: Drawing Super characters.

I can't remember when I couldn't draw. I've just done it all my life.

But I'm a firm believer that being able to draw is not a "natural" talent. I think anyone can learn and get good at it. I think it is just like any other skill, you spend time at it you get better.

Of course its not an overnight thing, but you will be able to see vast improvements the more you do practice.

I only draw a few hours a week. Though there were long periods of my life where I would be drawing for 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

Study anatomy first and practice practice practice. Use some kind of reference, but dont trace. Dont worry about doing complete drawings all the time; spend some time practicing one body part from several different perspectives. Dont get frustrated. Be prepared to walk away for a bit or abandon drawings if they just arent working out.

After playing champions for half my life, I have decided to try and learn how to draw. I have a few books on drawing the human form, and I have how to draw comics the Marvel way.

My question is to those that are not artistically challenged, like myself. How long did it take most of you to learn how to draw? I can really only put in about 30 minutes an evening, four times a week, to practicing. Sometimes I can practice for an hour. I used to have trouble just drawing stick figures.

I don't want to be Jim Lee. I would be happy if I could draw like Rob Liefield (I just had to say that because of that Teen Titans thread). But if it's going to take me a long time to even be slightly good, I am afraid that I will have to give up, and keep using either Heromachine.

There's nothing wrong with using HeroMachine. I use it myself, and I can actually draw pretty well. I've always had a talent for it...but sometimes it's just fun playing around with a program like HeroMachine, and using a picture editiong program to customise it just a little.

Mastering art on a PC can be sometimes a greater investment in time...but it's still an artform. Many of these video game creators have some amazing talent...it's truly a distinctive artform, all it's own.

My advice to you...be persistant. Artistic ability has to be worked at constantly, just like any other skill or talent you may possess. First and foremost...do it for yourself. Cultivate a style that you can be happy with...and don't compare yourself to others.

Only YOU need to be happy with your achievements, and if you're happy...you shall find inner peace.