Help with a power for character

MisterD

I have a character. One of his powers is called 'INVENTORY'

The way it works is he says inventory and a window appears (like in many vidoe games). With the window open, he can put items into or take items out of it.

I am working on a 250 and 350 poiont version of the character so I need a scalable version of a power that will acomplish this effect.

Help please.

Re: Help with a power for character

The answer depends. Is the place he's putting things another location in the same world, or some mysterious, unidentified place that only he has access to? (In other words, if someone walks into the right warehouse, or breaks into his bedroom closet, will they find the things he's put in 'inventory', or are the things in 'inventory' accessible to him and him alone?)

In any case, I'd use either Teleportation, with a Fixed Location, possibly with Megascale and the 'Gate' set-up for the first possibility, or Extra-Dimensional Movement with the 'Gate' set-up for the 2nd.

A VPP Gadget Pool should be enough for the inventory itself, perhaps with a 'lockout' limitation on every item (item cannot be retrieved again until replaced in inventory). A current list of what's in the 'inventory' must be provided, and each item would probably have to have limitations like Focus and Real World Tech Only, or something.

As to putting stuff in there that the character hasn't paid for, that'd have to be handled the same way your GM normally deals with "items the character hasn't paid for".

Here are example write-ups of what I was talking about:

Inventory Window: Teleportation 1", Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4); Gate (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) plus 1 Fixed Location (1 point)

Active points: 10, Real cost: 6

Advantages: cheap, easy on END (costs 1 END per phase the window is open).

Drawbacks: the storage location is in the same world, and could be accessed by discovering the location being used for storage and going there in person.

Inventory Window: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1); Gate (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Active points: 60, Real cost: 34

Advantages: much more secure than the other version; only the person possessing the power can access the storage location, since it's in an entirely different dimension.

Drawbacks: relatively expensive, END cost is higher (costs 6 END per phase the window is open).

In both cases, though it says "Area of Effect: 1 Hex", I doubt the GM would have a problem if you defined the area to be smaller (say, a 2' x 2' window). Also, objects of up to about 220 pounds can be passed through readily. (The 'usable by 2 simultaneously' might make you think that should be 440 pounds, but since the user of the power is staying put and not going through with the items being put through the window, the max item weight is that of one person -- about 220 lbs.)

Actually, I wouldn't go with teleportation or EDM. Really, the question is what does he use the inventory window for?

This power is the ability to have 'stuff'. It's not really described anywhere what this 'stuff' is. For all intents and purposes, he's basically using this inventory window to create 'stuff' on the spot, and the fact that at some point he had to have put the stuff in the window is mostly just SFX. If the 'stuff' he's talking about having in the inventory window is not something he usually uses for crimefighting purposes -- i.e. it's mostly a conveniece for stuff you'd otherwise keep in your pockets -- then it's like Instant Change, so why not build it the same way? Build a small transform to create whatever 'stuff' he pulls out of the inventory window, and say the same power allows him to put stuff back into the inventory window.

If he's storing gadgets or weapons in there, that he uses for crimefighting purposes, then it's part of the SFX for a gadget pool of some sort. If there are actual powers involved and not just small mundane items, then those have to be explicitly bought with points in a supers game.

A gadgertter VPP sounds close to what I am looking for.

The charactert says "INVENTORY... GUNS..."

and a video screen of guns pops up. He reaches into the window and pulls out the desired gun.

Ah. Sorry, my misunderstanding...I thought what you wanted was a way to store and retrieve things picked up during play (rather like the way a video game character collects stuff as they move through the game world); I didn't realize you wanted to be able to "inventory" any kind of item you might need, and not just those you'd stored yourself.

Except that, with Megascale teleportation, all you can guarantee is that you’ll open your gate up to within 1 km of your floating point. Otherwise it’s just giving infinte noncombat teleportation for almost no cost at all.

You’d also need ‘Usable As Attack’ if you want to be able to teleport something without going there yourself to pick it up. And it’ll knock you to half your DCV. (or is it 0? I forget)

Possibility 1

Considerably simplified from an ‘Eat-Man’ esque character I was working on.

8 (38) Personal Limbo: 4” Radius Base (~50”, 8 pts) Transdimensional (+30 pts)

17 (17) Pocket Limbo EC

22 (60) Stash! Extra Dimensional Movement: Center of Personal Limbo (20 pts), x4 human mass (+10 pts), UAA (+1), not against living targets (-1)

9 (35) I Got It 4” Streching, Transdimensional: to Pocket Limbo (+1/4) No End (+1/2), Pocket Limbo Only (-1)

11 (38) There It Is Clairsentience: Sight (20 pts), Dimensional: Pocket Limbo (+5 pts), No End (+1/2) Pocket Limbo Only (-1)

Total: 75 pts, 6 End. If you’re going to use it as a core power and build some tricks around it, that’s great, but it might be a bit too much for a side power. You can stash anything you can lift, assuming a 20 Str. You can save a few points by adding the –1/4 version of Restranable, but it’s already full phase.

---

Possiblity 2

Alternatively, and this requires GM permission, what you want is the storage space of a dimensional base, without any of the normal drawbacks of a base. It’s not unreasonable to ask to buy the base directly, without the normal 5/1 price break. So:

30 (30) Inventory ‘Base’: Area 8” Base (0 pts), In Another Dimension (+30 pts)

---

Possiblity 3

And this is a bit weird, what are you doing with this power? You’re using it to carry extra stuff, without any weight problems. So:

3 (5) Extra Limbs, Linked To Drawer Forwarding EC (-1/2), Only To Carry Stuff (-1/2)

30 (30) Elemental Control: Drawer Forwarding

15 (60) Max Capacity: 6400 lbs 40 Strength, No End (+1/2), Only To Carry Stuff (-1)

30 (90)Tucked Away Safe Desolidification, UAA (+1), Costs End Only To Activate/Deactivate (+1/4) only on carried objects that are not being used (-1 1/2), Full Phase (-1/2)

30 (75) He’s Unarmed, Sir Invisibility: Sight, Hearing, Radar, Smell (30 pts), UAA (+1), No End (+1/2) only on carried objects that are not being used (-1 1/2), linked to Desolidification (-0)

Nifty, huh? Pity it’s more expensive than either other way of doing it . . . I know, a characteristic in an EC and all. And it doesn’t scale down well. Still nifty, though.

---

Zed-F is right, though. The character’s basically going to use this to buy off the ‘Focus’ limitations on all his stuff. (also from that Eat-Man like character. Really should finish her) This is gonna be vague, because I have to get to Boston. :)

Tons of Guns! Either a weapon pool, a RKA with Variable Special Effect and Variable Advantages, or a multipower of weapons, bought without Foci or charges (you’ve got a lot of bullets in your storage closet) Might be able to justify ‘restrainable,’ though)

19 (38) The Right Tool For The Right Job: +4 with All Non-Combat Skills, Only To Remove Penalties For Lack of Proper Tools (-1)

Other Stuff: A smallish cosmic gadget pool Separate from the guns, because you don’t want to have to put away your gun to use a rope. :)

And probably a limited version of the Personal Limbo option above, for stashing miscellaneous stuff.

---

Hey! A UAA XDM, and STR in an EC, in the same post! How munchkin can you get. :)

Edit: Stupid [/b] . . .

I would just use a Multipower with all slots as Ultras's at the full value of the power, thereby only allowing him to have one slot active at a time, its limitations would be

1) Incantations -to change slots, must say Inventory

2) Gestures - to change slots, Must reach in to get items

3) Misc Limitation - cannot change slots unless he has item to replace.

the rest is just SFX.

Except that' date=' with Megascale teleportation, all you can guarantee is that you’ll open your gate up to within 1 km of your floating point. Otherwise it’s just giving infinte noncombat teleportation for almost no cost at all. [/quote']Perhaps you'd care to share where you got that idea? I'll share where I got my idea that you can use Megascale to teleport to the Fixed Location:

"A character using MegaTeleportation can Teleport to any location between his minimum distance (whatever he defines 1" as equaling) and the maximum distance; he doesn't have to Teleport in even 1" increments." And then... "If a character with MegaTeleportation has a Fixed or Floating Location, he can Teleport to that location safely whether he can percieve it or not. However, if a character's Floating or Fixed Location is closer than the shortest range increment of his MegaTeleportation, he cannot Teleport there unless the GM specifically permits him to."

Yes, if he's closer than 1km, he wouldn't be able to open the gate, but I never claimed otherwise. I sure don't see, though, given the underlined passage quote above, that it would be "all you can guarantee is that you’ll open your gate up to within 1 km of your floating point."

You’d also need ‘Usable As Attack’ if you want to be able to teleport something without going there yourself to pick it up. And it’ll knock you to half your DCV. (or is it 0? I forget)
As far as this goes...maybe. Even if that's the case' date=' it's a relatively minor increase in cost. However, that's not how gates are built on p. 234 of 5Er, and the gate construction as listed gives the ability to [b']attack[/b] through it...and since both Grab and Throw (or, I suppose, pulling to you) are attack actions, that would indicate you can reach through, Grab something, and Pull it back to you.

It seems I was incorrect. In my defense, I was looking at the first fifth edition, which is less specific. The inherent ‘limitation’ which I thought was there to partially balance out megascale’s power is far more trivial than I thought it was.

It appears MegaTeleportation does in fact, allow infinite noncombat teleportation for almost no cost at all.

It looks like gates also have a lot more flexibility than I remembered. Looks like you really don’t need UAA. Odd that they specifically don’t allow that trick with fully indirect stretching, but I guess the two-way thing somewhat makes up for it.

Indirect and Ranged on the entire teams attacks, for what, 25 points? Not bad at all.

---

What can I say. I was in a hurry. And I shouldn’t have left my 5er at work.

:)

It seems I was incorrect. In my defense, I was looking at the first fifth edition, which is less specific. The inherent ‘limitation’ which I thought was there to partially balance out megascale’s power is far more trivial than I thought it was.

It appears MegaTeleportation does in fact, allow infinite noncombat teleportation for almost no cost at all.

It looks like gates also have a lot more flexibility than I remembered. Looks like you really don’t need UAA. Odd that they specifically don’t allow that trick with fully indirect stretching, but I guess the two-way thing somewhat makes up for it.

Indirect and Ranged on the entire teams attacks, for what, 25 points? Not bad at all.

---

What can I say. I was in a hurry. And I shouldn’t have left my 5er at work.

:)

And looking at my response, it sounds rather snarky; I apologize. I'm under a rather large amount of stress right now, and it appears as if it's leaking out into other aspects of my life, like here. Sorry.

As for the "cheap Indirect" for the entire team's powers, keep these things in mind:

(1) If you're using Megascale T-Port, it takes an entire extra phase to establish the gate; probably not useful in combat. (2) There's a stop sign on Megascale for a reason! ;) (3) That's what GMs are for -- catching abusive power constructs and saying "I don't think so!" :)

Here is basic background on character.

I created and posted the 250 point version of the character to my site.

Besides the power clarification. Need some apropriate disadvantages.

Thaks.

http://members.tripod.com/character-corner/matrix.htm

Obvious ones for your character description.

Physical Limitation - Does not understand the human world. (straight from your description)

Public ID or Secret ID.

Psych Lim: Sometimes tries to do things according to "video game physics" and according to "video game social interaction". (Think about it for a moment. Could be good for some humerous situations if not overplayed.)

Social Lim - Well Known - like Famous, but with a lower chance of random person knowing hero because of resemblance to Video Game character. Could also have a positive Reputation, in a large large, limited group

Since the character is a video game character, I would not give a Code vs. Killing, since that was the character's main function in the game. Or at most, only at the Moderate level.

Perhaps a vulnerability to Electrical attacks, and a Susepatibility to strong magnetic field because of his origin as a video game character, as well as Magic vulnerability since magic brought him to life.

What are the character's weaknesses in the game he was drawn from? That could also be used.

These are just a stack of items off the top of my head. You are the one that has to decide what is appropriate for your game and this character.

Gemphyre