[Character] Jaram Glaive

Killer Shrike

Re: [Character] Jaram Glaive

very nice

how do you define and justify is evasive talent?

stef

Its a Talent in Fantasy HERO; basically its a limited Desolid.

This character predates 5ER by a number of years, I played him in 1997 IIRC, but I translated the character's abilities into 5e versions where applicable.

He had a very similar Desolid based super-dodge (we used variations on that kind of a construct on several characters back in the day actually), but since 5er has Evasive I just ported it to that. Similarly his sneak attack was built a little differently in the original version, but Deadly Blow (Sneak Attack) covers the same basic idea so I ported to that as well in the interests of keeping it relevant.

I thought he was a bit flat because of his sheer lack of background skills outside of PS: Thief and AK: Great Kingdom of Aerdy. Otherwise the character is fine.

Had time to review the character again to look at your complaint, and I disagree.

Let me clarify this a bit -- IMO if a character's background is steeped in being a thief, then skills related to being a good thief are background skills. In this case, Jaram has 52 points in thief skills, not even counting his special thief abilities.

1) Acrobatics 13-

2) Breakfall 13-

3) Bribery 12-

4) Climbing 13-

5) Concealment 12-

6) Contortionist 13-

7) Forgery 12-

8) Gambling 12-

9) Language: Thieves Cant (completely fluent; literate)

10) Lipreading 12-

11) Lockpicking 13-

12) Mimicry 12-

13) Security Systems 12-

14) Shadowing 12-

15) Stealth 13-

16) Streetwise 12-

17) Tracking 12-

Now if by background skills you mean "skills that have no direct game benefit" then I think its more a case of differing styles.

I wasn't trying to get you worked up on it KS. I like my characters with a bit of background flavor (I.E. Background Skills such as KS' date=' AK, PS, etc...). So yes this is a case of differing styles.[/quote']

Why does everyone always think im worked up? Im an extremely low key person. Im just giving your perspective due consideration.

I too prefer some flavor and general knowledge skills, when it serves to illustrate a characters bg. In Jaram's case though he lived his entire life up until the very end of the campaign in the Great Kingdom, which he had traveled somewhat extensively; I think the following adequately covers this:

1) +2 Overall

2) AK: Great Kingdom of Aerdy (INT-based) 14-

That translates as a 16-. We allow the "scoped" skills such as KS, PS, and SS to scale with appropriate penalties, so an AK can be used at more granular levels at a penalty. Even taking a -5 "Extremely Difficult" penalty, Jaram would still have an 11- to find his way around a city in the Great Kingdom, thus removing a need for specfic CK's for Rauxes, Eastfair and Rel Astra, for instance.

He is also an accomplished thief with a very respectible resume; I think the following adequately covers that:

1) +2 Overall

3) PS: Thief (PRE-based) 14-

So again, with a 16- roll theres not many aspects of Professional concern beyond his reach.

He speaks only his native language of Oeridian and he's not literate, so theres no point listing it on the sheet since it sums to 0, and his only other form of communication is Thieves cant, which isnt a completely language unto itself, but rather is usable with other languages; it has some signs and markings which Jaram is familiar with, and he has the skill with literate to cover that.

Aside from that, he's kind of a loner/freelancer and doesnt trust others enough to depend on them so a lot of perks dont really fit the character, and he has the few that do.

And as noted before, he has almost every sort of thiefcraft covered via skills, powers, and talents.

So in short, I think his bg is very well reflected in his ability set.

Not every character is a world traveling well conected scholar linguist with a thorough classical education.

Perhaps let me clarify what I mean by flat.

Based on his background, his character sheet describes him perfectly. Everything is covered unless you want to give him Bureaucratics or maybe KS: Guild Operations to better cover his ability to know how a guild works. However, as a character he is a thief, nothing more. I felt he needed just a little something else to make the character a little more three-dimensional.

For the record, I was only trying to provide constructive criticism. In creative writing this was something that was drilled into our heads. I figured with everyone saying "this is great" that finding a little something on the character couldn't hurt. I really do think this is a good character.

The skills question is simply one of preference - some people like to see lots of things like PS's and KS's to reflect things the players might have learned or know - others prefer to see only what's important on the character sheet.

I'm in the latter camp - while I can understand the "detailed description" approach, I like to see the things that can or should come up into play on the sheet - everything else is just annoying scurf. So, for example, I don't require players to buy an AK: for the city they live in (though it could very well be useful, especially for a thief) - most people actually don't know the cities they live in very well and an AK - even at a low level - can give you quite a lot of detailed information.

Looked at in that light, the character has what he needs.

cheers, Mark

For the record' date=' I was only trying to provide constructive criticism. In creative writing this was something that was drilled into our heads. I figured with everyone saying "this is great" that finding a little something on the character couldn't hurt. I really do think this is a good character.[/quote']

And its appreciated. It caused me to do a very thorough review of the character and reexamine him. However after due consideration I dont agree with your critique.

As far as the Guild Knowledge goes, perhaps, but as noted in his background he never got involved in Guild politics and preferred to function on the fringes.

The skills question is simply one of preference - some people like to see lots of things like PS's and KS's to reflect things the players might have learned or know - others prefer to see only what's important on the character sheet.

I'm in the latter camp - while I can understand the "detailed description" approach, I like to see the things that can or should come up into play on the sheet - everything else is just annoying scurf. So, for example, I don't require players to buy an AK: for the city they live in (though it could very well be useful, especially for a thief) - most people actually don't know the cities they live in very well and an AK - even at a low level - can give you quite a lot of detailed information.

Looked at in that light, the character has what he needs.

cheers, Mark

Yes, Im also of the non cluttered, only what really matters mindset. Im pretty flexible on "common sense" type knowledge -- not every thing that a character knows should be represented on their sheet unless their level of knowledge is above normal or would give the character too much of an advantage.

Where's his sleight of hand skill?

Can't be a pickpocket withouth Sleight of Hand!!!!!

Other than that, fantastic. Though is it really necessary to give him Deadly Blow in addition to his Knight Fighting Multipower? I figure you could just add a slot to the Multipower that requires a skill roll (Stealth) to represent his "Backstab" ability.

How about something like this:

Slit Throat: 1/2D6 HKA (10) Continuous (+1) 0 End (+1/2) Pers (+1/2) Uncontrolled (+1/2) NND (+1) Does Body (+1) 55 Active

Limitations: Gradual Effect* (-1/4) RSR: Stealth (-1/4) -1/20 Ap (plus general limitations from Multipower)

With this maneuver, if the character successfuly sneaks upon their opponent, they may attack by surprise, targeting the victims throat. If the attack roll is successful, the victims throat is slit and begins bleeding profusely. The victim should die rather quickly (in a few turns) though if the bleeding is staunched, they may survive.

* Note the Gradual Effect limitation doesn't work exactly as stated in FREd. It merely drops the continuous damage from 1/phase to 1/turn. I'm not sure what limitation you would use for that, so Gradual Effect seemed appropriate to me. Also note that the Uncontrolled attack can be stopped by proper use of First Aid to stop the bleeding. The NND defense is Does not Bleed or Regeneration.

Where's his sleight of hand skill?

Can't be a pickpocket withouth Sleight of Hand!!!!!

Youre right! I checked his hand written character sheet and he does indeed have "SoH" noted. I must not have made the connection when I put him into HD and updated him. Ill get that added in tonight.

Other than that, fantastic. Though is it really necessary to give him Deadly Blow in addition to his Knight Fighting Multipower? I figure you could just add a slot to the Multipower that requires a skill roll (Stealth) to represent his "Backstab" ability.

Its intended to stack w/ the Knife Fighter MP for a lot of damage only from suprise.